Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyB

Varmint Ammo?

I just bought a good amount of American Eagle .223 50 Grain Varmint Tipped ammo listed in our hot deals section.

Did I just make a big mistake???  I got these for HD and SHTF since they are frangible and minimize the risk of over penetration.

The ballistic gel tests looked great to me. Federal says they are the Hornady V-Max heads.

After the purchase, on AR-15.com and other sights, I read they are great for prairie dogs,  ground hogs and coyotes but that's about it!

I have never seen a coyote in South Jersey and doubt I will ever need to shoot one!  Most say "Varmint ammo under penetrates and is virtually

useless for home defense as it won't reach any vital organs! This stuff is highly accurate, some say match grade for shooting paper but that is not what I bought it for!

I welcome your opinions on this ammo. I really went nuts this time thinking it was a great buy at $5.89 a box but considering I am not allowed to shoot ground hogs in my city

and I have never seen a coyote except on TV, I don't know what to do at this point! Please spare me the "you can give it to me" stuff. There are many here far more experinced

than I am and I respect your opinions. If it is not useful for HD, I will sell it online for what I paid for it!  Thanks!!!

I just bought a good amount of American Eagle .223 50 Grain Varmint Tipped ammo.....I got these for HD and SHTF since they are frangible and minimize the risk of over penetration.

This ammo is expanding, NOT frangible.

STOP! You making my head hurt.  Keep it, shoot it. It will do the job just fine.  Don't worry about twist rates, it will hit its target.  Don't sweat jacket separation, your not light enough yet!  PB is correct this expanding ammo not frangible ammo.  It will travel far enough to get the job done.  For HD perfect given the distance. You saw the gel tests, plenty enough for major damage.  These heads are damn near laser beams at 100 yards or less. 

There is way to much hype on the net to get excited over. 

STOP! You making my head hurt.  Keep it, shoot it. It will do the job just fine.  Don't worry about twist rates, it will hit its target.  Don't sweat jacket separation, your not light enough yet!  PB is correct this expanding ammo not frangible ammo.  It will travel far enough to get the job done.  For HD perfect given the distance. You saw the gel tests, plenty enough for major damage.  These heads are damn near laser beams at 100 yards or less. 

There is way to much hype on the net to get excited over. 

LOL......  This...   too much thought going into it..   

I have 2 mags filled with 55gr V-max. I'm perfectly satisfied with the rounds... cant imagine 5gr would make much difference in terms of short range penetration.

If your talking SHTF i would consider a different round like m855, but for HD... no problem.

Here is a link to one of the gel tests that convinced me to buy for HD!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nqK_APlpdQ

He said, and you can see that the round basically exploded causing massive damage! Is this what an expanding head does???

So would this be considered frangible or what else?  I would hate to be the trauma surgeon that had to clean and suture that mess if the BG even made it to the hospital!

Please take a look at the gel test and let me know okay or not okay for HD.  Thanks

You are overthinking this.

It is a ballistic tip cup-and-core bullet with a thin jacket.

It is made to expand rapidly/violently when hunting small animals to minimize the risk of pass-thru's/missed shots traveling a long ways.

If you shoot someone center mass at close range with this bullet, there will be no trauma surgeon or suturing going on. Worst case, you can use it as practice ammo.

You are overthinking this.

It is a ballistic tip cup-and-core bullet with a thin jacket.

It is made to expand rapidly/violently when hunting small animals to minimize the risk of pass-thru's/missed shots traveling a long ways.

If you shoot someone center mass at close range with this bullet, there will be no trauma surgeon or suturing going on. Worst case, you can use it as practice ammo.

^^^^^^^^^^

This

Frangible bullets are made from sintered metal and literally disintegrate (turn to dust) on impact. Made for use on ranges with back stops not rated for rifle rounds.

Hey Johnny I'm in Burl Co. and shoot groundhogs at my neighbors farms. I have a CZ Varmint 1:12 if you really don't want the 50 varmint tipped Ill buy it from you. 

The jury is still out on this. It is still available at the same price I paid here.......http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/76938-psa-223-ammo-deal/

STOP! You making my head hurt.  Keep it, shoot it. It will do the job just fine.  Don't worry about twist rates, it will hit its target.  Don't sweat jacket separation, your not light enough yet!  PB is correct this expanding ammo not frangible ammo.  It will travel far enough to get the job done.  For HD perfect given the distance. You saw the gel test

BIG +1

Why do you guys listen to this BS?

I don't want to stand in front of that stuff, even with a vest it will put you on the ground.

You got a deal? Shoot it and enjoy it.

Thanks guys for all the information!  After much more research I have learned that frangible ammo is actually a compressed polymer and contains no lead or copper jacket

that turns to dust when it hits anything harder than itself.

Many refer to the Hornady V-max head (same as  used in this varmint round) as frangible but it is NOT! I think a bad guy could live after being shot with a FMJ round depending

on the track of the bullet but I just don't see anyone surviving getting hit with this stuff! No clean in and out here. As Old School said it will put you on the ground!

At least the PRNJ can't call this a hollow point!

BIG +1

Why do you guys listen to this BS?

I don't want to stand in front of that stuff, even with a vest it will put you on the ground.

You got a deal? Shoot it and enjoy it.

2 pages too soon.

Paul. - people under estimate the impact value of any center fire round. I know a guy(not saying who it is) that caught a 25acp in the gut wearing a threat level II and hit the ground and had a nice hemotoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know. Why was it okay for years to have a .38Spcl as a Duty round, and a 25ACP as an off duty carry? Those rounds are deadly, but everybody looking to buy a gun nowadays, says they won't do. :facepalm:

Back in the day, I was looked down upon for a 9mm (BHP) believe it or not.  The only thing I did get my ass chewed for was when I was told to carry something bigger than a model 36..

Guess the big guy thought I was in high risk...LOL

Thanks guys for all the information!  After much more research I have learned that frangible ammo is actually a compressed polymer and contains no lead or copper jacket

that turns to dust when it hits anything harder than itself.

Many refer to the Hornady V-max head (same as  used in this varmint round) as frangible but it is NOT! I think a bad guy could live after being shot with a FMJ round depending

on the track of the bullet but I just don't see anyone surviving getting hit with this stuff! No clean in and out here. As Old School said it will put you on the ground!

At least the PRNJ can't call this a hollow point!

the .224 bullet itself is kinda a special round... given enough soft tissue it will start to tumble and cause lots of damage... Varmit rounds are specifically for small game, so the dependance on tumbling is removed.

Unfortunately NJ's Laws classify  hollow points and expanding rounds just the same... both fall under prohibited with exemption.

Edited for correctness.

American Eagle 50gr , very good ammo, Been shooting it for years.  I have the HP bullet load, the poly tip stuff shoots just as well.  Works well on groundhogs excellent expansion.  Out of my 26" Encore barrel, 5 shots, 200yds, around an inch on a good day.  Cycles AR's just fine with good accuracy ( 1:9 )

Loaded on the same machines that make lake city m-193/855 just with a soft point bullet