MartyZ

Midwayusa buckling under NJ A.G. pressure

I just received an email from midwayusa.  The content of the email, send us a copy of your FPID if you ever want to buy ammo from us again.

quote from email:

You are receiving this email because our records indicate you have an address in New Jersey.

Residents of New Jersey can legally make online purchases of ammunition – all you need to do is submit the proper license.

More information on which particular license you need to submit is available at - 
http://www.midwayusa.com/help/which-states-require-permits-to-buy-certain-types-of-products

To better serve our Customers, MidwayUSA has instituted several convenient ways for you to submit your license for validation.

Do you think the NJ AG is sending out letter to all online retailers threatening to sue?

Probably good for them to just send it out so that more people are informed. A few years ago, I tried to order ammo and couldn't. Sent off an angry email to Larry Potterfield. Received a response that I just needed to send them a copy of FPID and then its good to go. 

I received the same e-mail today.  I sent this to their CS department.  I urge everyone here to write Midway and express their displeasure.  Money talks, BS walks.  If Midway is threatened by the loss of NJ customers, they may change the policy.

Today, I received a customer notification e-mail from Midway about your requirement for NJ residents to provide an FID for ALL ammunition purchases.  I am writing to inform Midway that this is absolutely unnecessary to comply with NJ laws.  

NJ requires a FID for handgun ammo ONLY.  NJ residents are not required by law to provide an FID for long gun (rifle and shotgun) ammo.  Even if it can be used in a handgun.  NJ law specifically stipulates that only ammo SPECIFICALLY designed for use in a handgun requires the purchaser present a valid NJ FID.  For example; 38sp and 9mm Luger were specifically designed to be used in a handgun, but may be used in a long gun (NJ FID REQUIRED).  Conversely, .223 and .22 Long Rifle were specifically designed to be used in a long gun, but may be used in a handgun (NJ FID NOT REQUIRED).  In other words, 38sp, .380, .357 Mag, 45ACP and 9mm require the purchaser present a valid NJ FID.  The purchase of .223/5.56, .243, 30-06. 7mm-08, .22 Long Rifle and shotgun ammo do not require a FID because they were specifically designed to be used in long guns.

I participate on several NJ sporting forums and will convey this new policy to my fellow NJ sportsmen so that we may avoid the unnecessary intrusion on our rights.  Respectfully, I urge Midway's legal department to review this Anti 2A ammo policy and update it to accurately reflect the actual and true legal requirements for compliance with NJ laws.  This practice can only be construed by anyone well educated in NJ firearms law as a blanket internal CYA policy that unnecessarily adds additional barriers and misery to our already draconian firearms laws and regulations.  

In the past I have very much enjoyed being a customer of Midway and lauded it's excellent customer service.  However, I will no longer do business with Midway, or any other company, that willingly chooses to aid and support the anti 2A politics of NJ.  If at some future time Midway reverses this unnecessary policy, I will happily return as a customer.

Yours truly
XXXX XXXXX

If anyone reading this has any gumption at all, write to Larry Potterfield directly.  NJ law does not require a FID for long gun ammo, even if it can be used in a handgun.  Too many on-line retailers are adding the unnecessary requirement to NJ residents to provide a FID to purchase long gun ammo.  If you are the kind of person that likes to be pushed around, then do nothing at all.  If you don't like licking boot, then write to Potterfield and every other on-line retailer that demands your FID for long gun ammo and tell them they will not be getting your money.  It is the only way they will reverse the ridiculous policies. 

[email protected]

I received the same email.  It says we need to provide a copy of the "proper license".  Click the link and it shows that in NJ you can purchase with Firearms Purchase ID, Permit to Purchase a Handgun, Permit to Carry a Handgun,  or Federal Firearms License.

I was planning to send them an email complaining that they're not bound by NJ laws but I found the actual law and it turns out they're right...for handgun ammo.

2C:58-3.3 (b)  No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

I could be wrong, but regardless of the statute, the actual sale occured out of state, so I don't think they could possibly be found guilty of violating any of NJ's laws. I've never been asked for an FID when ordering handgun ammo online, but I don't think I've ordered any handgun ammo through them.

Midway has been doing this a long time. So does ATG, SG ammo, Sportsmans guide and a few others. Some (Gander) wont sell to NJ residents at all. SOme don't care (Cabelas notably). I have rarely bought from Midway anyway, if I need parts I use other sources

I received the same email.  It says we need to provide a copy of the "proper license".  Click the link and it shows that in NJ you can purchase with Firearms Purchase ID, Permit to Purchase a Handgun, Permit to Carry a Handgun,  or Federal Firearms License.

I was planning to send them an email complaining that they're not bound by NJ laws but I found the actual law and it turns out they're right...for handgun ammo.

2C:58-3.3 (b)  No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

But they are still wrong about long gun ammo.  Midway still deserves to receive a rebuke for demanding it for long gun ammo.

But they are still wrong about long gun ammo. Midway still deserves to receive a rebuke for demanding it for long gun ammo.

I've purchased rifle ammo from MidwayUSA before. Not understanding how they demanded it for rifle ammo when I've never needed to supply it before...

If you click the link, there are a few states that this pertains to. They give examples of what each resident needs to comply with legislation. Ever think that this round of emails/webpages were written to work with all affected persons? I'm sure some places were not able to purchase ammo at all.

I just sent in the copy of the FID today so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future... I did add that I'm disappointed in how long a system took to be in place. I got a reply in like five minutes. I just purchased handgun ammo elsewhere... never knew I could have emailed them a copy to comply (that actually pisses me off). I did purchase .44 Magnum ammo through them prior, as I purchased it from the rifle ammo section (should have argued that my CX4 shoots 9mm).

If this in not a new thing how come I just now get the email for the first time.  I have been buying from midway for years and have orderred rifle ammo from them with no FPID on file.  They don't say pistol ammo in the email, they just say ammo, which to me means ALL ammo.

Agreed - we need to focus on the problem itself, not this.

Midway's long gun ammo policy is part of the problem.  The way I see it, if NJ made presenting an FID for shotgun ammo and having the purchase logged a legal requirement, people would be extremely upset and start talking about recalls and protests and pumping their fists in the air.  But I suppose if good old Midway does it, with no legitimate legal reason, well, it's no big deal.  There is a serious flaw in that logic. 

Welll. I just called and asked to speak to Larry. He wasnt around. But after going back and forth and put on hold. The operator said it would be ok to send rifle ammo to me without my njfid card. I told her such a good company as midway should not cave into nj's crazy convoluted gun laws. And i appreciated her actually giving me an answer. Well,it was alot longer conversation than that. But i hope i got my point across and i think i did. I dont by handgun ammo anymore since i solely reload mine now. So it doesnt affect me. Lets see if its ok if i order any 300 win mag from them next time. Dont put up with the Bs.

Midway's long gun ammo policy is part of the problem. The way I see it, if NJ made presenting an FID for shotgun ammo and having the purchase logged a legal requirement, people would be extremely upset and start talking about recalls and protests and pumping their fists in the air. But I suppose if good old Midway does it, with no legitimate legal reason, well, it's no big deal. There is a serious flaw in that logic.

Right, if the laws change to require FID for long gun ammo it would be a big deal and we should fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening. But again, I don't think we need to attack midway. If it's that much of an inconvenience to you, send them an email and move on to another company. I think getting Sweeny recalled is the best thing going right now to get these rules/laws off the books so you can buy ammo online from whomever without being asked for FID