TheMan

Mossberg 500 safety issue

There are 4 or 5 parts in the safety mechanism. It sounds like it may be dirty or there is grit in there but something could have also broke. There is the screw that holds the safety button down, the safety plate under that, that little ball, then there's a little spring. Maybe the spring could have broken?

I'd take it apart, then look at a Mossberg 500 parts schematic and go from there.

Do this, it's pretty easy to take it apart. Now might be a good time to upgrade to a big button safety.

31mFMQBwDoL._SY355_.jpg

Do this, it's pretty easy to take it apart. Now might be a good time to upgrade to a big button safety.

31mFMQBwDoL._SY355_.jpg

Good advice on the larger, enhanced safety.  They are available at Brownells, and are relatively inexpensive (I believe somewhere around $10).  I like the one I have on one of my Mossbergs, and have purchased them for my other four, but have not been able to figure out how to remove the special, tamper-resistant retaining screw.  Any advice?

I was able to loosen the screw on mine by hitting it just right with a pin punch, then followed by a screwdriver with heavy downward pressure.

There's a YouTube video that shows it being done that way, but I seem to be challenged in the use of tools, because I had no success with it.