So I have a question that my Google fu has failed me on. I have a set of passive earmuffs that are rated at 31nrr. I haven't been wearing plugs under lately as I have a lot of wax issues etc. I started looking into electronic muffs thinking they would be better, but notice that most of them are way lower on the nrr scale. Is there a reason why except for the highest end ones electronic ones are in the range of 20 ish? Is it a way of measuring different or is the passive nrr really lower?

Howard, thats my point. im confused as to why the passive ones are rated so high, and the electronic ones are rated much lower until you spend 2-300 in most cases. Im wondering if theres something im not getting here, or if thats just the way it is

Electronic muffs require room for electronics, batteries, etc.  Yet people want them to be compact and light... and CHEAP...

If you want really good hearing protection with High NRR ratings AND electronic amplification, you're going to have to pay a premium.  The Pro Ears Pro Tac Slim Gold are NRR 28 but cost over $250 (http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ears-Muffs-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B003U5VE9S).  

For the price, the NRR 22 rating is fine for outdoors shooting with the Howard Leight impact sports, but for indoors, I double up with plugs underneath.

You don't have to spend that much. Just look around a little. Like I said in my previous post, a quick search on Amazon gave me a pair with a NRR of 30 for $66. I'm sure there are more out there too.

This is the pair I saw: Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs

I finally had an epiphany when I went with the plugs and then electronic over it. But I just turned the volume way up. I have grappled with the sport and my ear damage over the years. I dreaded taking classes because I wear 100% soundblock custom plugs when I shoot indoors that I wouldn't hear the instructor.

So at class I put in foam plugs then electric over it. Holy awesomeness. When we weren't shooting and I kept the plugs in I actually heard the voices BETTER with my muffs on than without (most people take their muffs off to talk during instruction). I just kept mine on and kept volume up but the electronic stopped the sonic booms.

Game changer for me. Wish I discovered years ago.

As Vlad said, those higher NRR are quite large. Very uncomfortable to wear while shooting rifle. Me personally, I only use Howard Leights. If that isn't enough, double up with foam plugs. I've done the molded ear plugs and they were the best with protection and sound level. They sucked when it came to hearing anything when not shooting. The Leights are more than enough for me though.

problem i have is the doubling up, ive been having ear wax problems increasingly for the last year or so and the foam plugs seem to not help. im kindof looking for a compromise that i can use just the muffs and not worry about the long term damage

Indoor or Outdoor? Makes a big difference. I've shot outdoors with them without doubling up - depends on the rifle...

Valid point. I've shot indoors a total of maybe 5 times. I always seem to forget that people shoot rifle indoors.

To be specific I was talking about an AR. However, on a firing line with others utilizing high concussion muzzle devices, I was still okay. I know experiences will vary but that is what I experience.

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport R-01526. I like the slim line profile and electronic muff. Works for me at the range. If you like electronic and slim profile, I would recommend this and ear plugs if you want better protection.

If you're ok with a bit more bulk, I second this as well: http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R-01902-Electronic-Shooting-Earmuffs/dp/B007BGSI5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1437490117&sr=1-1&keywords=honeywell+r-01902

i mostly shoot indoors, and therefore mainly handgun, but i do bring the rifles with sometimes.

I mostly shoot indoors as well, handgun &, sadly, very concussive AR. I bought these because they were max NRR - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009LI4K/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00009LI4K&linkCode=as2&tag=thb0-20&linkId=GHCCGYG6NNRPKCGH

I can my normal cheek weld on the AR while also keeping a seal so it works for me. Obviously, it may not work for everyone. I didn't care for electronic because I know they don't have great NRR & they need the double up. I have the standard HLs that I use if I go with friends.