DevsAdvocate

Thoughts on the CAI C39v2 AKM?

How do these rifles fare in terms or reliability, accuracy, etc?  I currently own a WASR-10, but I want to keep it stock with its wood grips and iron sights.  I want a 2nd AKM to use with magpul furniture and a gas-tube RDS.

1.  What do folks think about the C39V2?

2.  Are there comparable AKMs for the cost?

3.  I see some vendors sell the C39v2 with the magpul furniture installed... is this a better deal than buying a new AK and the furniture separately?

Thanks!

I'd suggest reading other forums (specifically AKFiles and other ak forums) and see their responses. On there, you have thousands of people buying AK's everyday while on here (a smaller local forum) you have probably a dozen people, if that, owning that specific AK. Also, youtube has a lot of vids on them. The general consensus is that Century has finally come out with an AK that [seems] to be pretty good but then you have the haters as well. I know a lot of people hate him but Yaeger praises the Century AK lineup and there are numerous videos of him doing mag dumps and I want to say a 1,000rd continuous shoot off with it.

I will say I have handled one and it felt quite nice. I like that they have a side rail on it and everything like the hand guards had a nice tight fight.

Some things you may read about from unhappy RAS owners are problems that Century has had in the past. Canted sights, terrible gun finish, and some rivets have been bad enough that magazines were unable to insert/feed into it.

With all the nice imports and other proven AK's out there, I would not buy an American made AK. If you are an AK collector, then I think adding one to the collection just to have would be ok but not if you will only have two or three.

Edit: Me personally? I would not buy one. Considering all of the options up to the $800 mark (Maadi's, Yugo PAPs, DDI, Definitive Arms, etc) there are plenty of other options out there. The DDI's have looked really nice and a lot of people have been buying them lately, I think that's one of my next ones.

Its heavier than the a wasr, you feel it immediately. Seems to shoot just fine and the finish is very good. the one I shot was not mine so I cant truly say it was accurate because I doubt the guy sighted it in. I like them, I just feel they should be cheaper. wasr's are cheap enough that you could buy another and put the furniture on your self.

I've had a C39v2 for a few months and have put about 400 rounds through it so far without any issue.

Overall, I've got no complaints with it - the fit and finish are excellent. The only disappointment that I can express (and has been beaten to death on other forums) is the lack of a side rail for optics. I've picked up an Ultimak gas tube to get around this but just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. The only other minor complaint that I have is that the safety was an extremely tight fit (tighter than any other AK safety that I have before) - I had to really bend it in order to make it so that I could comfortably move it to the fire position without having to use more than two fingers to get it to move down.

The gun was pretty much zeroed at 100 yards out of the box and I only had to fine tune it a little (I'm not sure if I got lucky or if they bore sight them at the factory).

I'm not a real fan of the Magpul look, so I'm going to leave the wood furniture alone for now. The only "upgrade" that I've made so far is to replace the paper clip with a retention plate. Other than that, the Ultimak gas tube and red dot sight are the only upgrades that I'm going to do for now.

The first round or two of the RAS 47 guns had some quality control issues with the rivets blocking the magwell but, from what I've heard, that's been resolved for the most part.  

Interesting.  From what I've seen, the C39v2 Magpul edition does come with the side rail for optics, but I would ultimately go with a gas tube style system.

I don't think that's the case - Someone on Reddit just got one (Posted pics) and it didn't have the side rail...  

Love it in Plum... 

ZUaaCdZ.jpg

I don't think that's the case - Someone on Reddit just got one (Posted pics) and it didn't have the side rail...  

Love it in Plum... 

ZUaaCdZ.jpg

This looks really nice.  What's the cheapest way to get something like this?

I just got my C39V2 from Monmouth Arms, it was a 100+ mile trip, 1 way, but was worth it. Comparing the C39V2 to my WASR; the Century is heavier, it feels more solid when compared to the loose tolerances of the WASR. I have not yet had a chance to shoot it to see how it performs.

I wouldn't waste my money on anything besides Arsenal or Saiga or Vepr. Serbian PAP is Ok.

I got C39v2 about year ago and nothing besides troubles after, main one is soft metal issues. I replaced trigger first with Tapco and after this bolt and carrier. I got polish radom bolt, works great after. 3k shots only, Century is crap AK maker, believe me.

• Like 1