Samdjr74

Can my wife use my handguns?

My wife hates guns so I have to sneak new ones in while she is asleep!  She does not have an FPID since she won't go to a range unless I beg her to. If she was interested in firearms,

none of the guns in my home were purchased by her. If she suddenly wanted to go to a range and shoot by herself, I see NO PROBLEM with her taking OUR guns there!

I'm not a lawer nor an expert but a FID/ isn't requited to own any gun that is legal in NJ. As long as she stays within letter of law transporting to and from range she is fine.

If she were to get pulled over, lets say a turn signal is out, the best advice you can give her is too not give ANY information that she is not required to. DO NOT say where she is coming from, what she has in car, what she was doing, etc. Hand over license, insurance and registration and remain silent.

While she isn't breaking any law she needs to keep in mind not every officer is familiar with every law. No need to get yourself in trouble if she wasn't do anything wrong. Unfortunately EVERY legal firearm owner is viewed as a felon in waiting the way NJ laws are written. Even if she had a FID and she had purchased every gun in your household it wouldn't matter.

Enjoy and sounds like you've got a good wife! Have her get her own FID though so she can pick up ammo when she sees it on sale!

I got tired of reading after the first page so this may be redundant, but isn't allowing (if your gun) even your spouse to take possession of your handgun with out a P2P and paper work filled out an illegal transfer according to the letter of the NJ law. Which is what will be enforce if caught.

I got tired of reading after the first page so this may be redundant, but isn't allowing (if your gun) even your spouse to take possession of your handgun with out a P2P and paper work filled out an illegal transfer according to the letter of the NJ law. Which is what will be enforce if caught.

Perhaps by the letter of the law! Let's say my wife and myself both have FPID's. Let's say, I have guns handed down to me, purchased years ago out of state or purchased F2F. Let's say I have a few purchased on my FPID and a few on hers. Now, either one of us goes directly to the range and home with no course deviations. All guns and ammo are secured per PRNJ Statutes!

She or I get pulled over, get in an accident or whatever. We hand over our DL, registration and proof of insurance. Neither of us volunteer any information nor consent to a search. (By the way, I have been pulled over many times and was never asked to search my vehicle!)

So now let's say somehow the LEOs find the guns! Do you really think they will take the time to run every serial # and even then, seeing the same last name, make an arrest???

My point is, you have to be pretty unlucky to get in trouble coupled with the fact that there is no known case where a spouse of a gun owner in NJ was convicted for properly transporting a gun legally purchased by a spouse.

There is the law and there is common sense! If i spit on the sidewalk in many places, I would be breaking the law! Common sense tells me don't sweat the nearly impossible! On July 4th, I set of a few minor fireworks

for my grand kids in my back yard! Did I break the law? You bet I did! Did I hurt anyone? No! My expectations were higher of getting into trouble for the fireworks if caught, was much higher than my fear of the above

wife/gun/range scenario!

if she happens to get pulled over, get in accident, have medical emergency etc.. and the guns are discovered shes in a world of hurt.

You are not the ones going to be dealing with the consequences so don't give bad advice. We are talking Handguns here not long guns. As shitty as it is, thems the brakes kiddo.

Wait a minute. I never carry those salmon-colored papers with me to and fro CR. There's no way for me to prove on Cannistear Road that those guns are mine. I thought having a FPID was sufficient.

Wait a minute. I never carry those salmon-colored papers with me to and fro CR. There's no way for me to prove on Cannistear Road that those guns are mine. I thought having a FPID was sufficient.

You're joking, RIGHT?

Here's a scenario...

FID holder and his girlfriend move within PRNJ. (Now) former-FID holder has paperwork in for change of address.

FID-in-waiting leaves for work at 5am, someone breaks into his house and the girlfriend shoots him in self-defense with FID-in-waiting's gun.

The house is the permanent residence for both FID-in-waiting and girlfriend.

Have either broken a current law?

^^^^In a word, .......NO!

Gun could have fallen out of the sky or even been unregistered from another move or inherited.

No problem with a woman defending herself against an attacker in a "good shoot".  DA will NEVER go after girlfriend for shooting Perp so long as it's a righteous shoot.