Alex V

Larry Vickers is coming to NJ!

http://aliastraining.com/larryvickers2-dayadvancedhandgunclassaug8-92015winslownjsouthernnewjersey.aspx

I took this class last fall in Bethlehem and loved it! 

The class focused heavily on marksmanship with the pistol. There was a quick review reloading, drawing and trigger control but most of the work centered around placing accurate hits on target.  We used and NRA B8 target and hits outside of the black were considered missed.  Shooting took place from 5 to 25 yards and we even did a walk-back drill on steel.  I hit at 50y and 60y.  I missed at 75 yards.  A few guys made hits at 100y.  Very impressive.

If you want awesome instruction that is worth every penny, this is the class you are looking for!

Im going to be there! 

What's the class maximum?

Alias is famous for overbooking. I'm not paying $525 to be one of 40 students on the line with LAV.

They did that with a PMac class in NJ and it was horrendous. There was little to no instruction beyond the demos conducted before each drill and he assigned other students to be assistant instructors.

The class in PA last fall had 22 students If I recall correctly. It was the biggest class I have ever taken (used to 12 students or so) but I did not feel neglected at all.  He seemed to do a good job giving individual attention to each student during each drill.

What's the class maximum?

Alias is famous for overbooking. I'm not paying $525 to be one of 40 students on the line with LAV.

They did that with a PMac class in NJ and it was horrendous. There was little to no instruction beyond the demos conducted before each drill and he assigned other students to be assistant instructors.

I'd be pissed if that happened. One of the great things about EAG coming to Columbia was it was always a small class. I think the most we had in a class I was in was eight shooters and even that was broken into two groups of shooters at times.

Yes 22 to 1 is doable with 2 relays.  However, with Alias' history of severely overbooking classes, I am skeptical at best.  Would love to attend a course taught by LAV, but would need to see some guarantee or cap on the maximum number of students allowed. (not how many can we fit on the range at one time)

Damn, a LAV class 10 mins. from my house.

Tempting.

Do it. LAV's forgotten more about firearms than most people have learned. I hosted him once for a carbine class but he ended up doing a little pistol work with us because during one drill, it was apparent that the majority of the line needed to work on shooting pistols so he gave us some quick and dirty instruction in how to shoot pistols better and I still practice what he taught us then.

I'm surprised there's still openings. When I tried to do the Pat McNamara class in NJ last year they were at capacity 2-3 months ahead of time, was placed on wait list, and still didn't make it on.

So, uh, what time am I supposed to be there? I see it nowhere on the site.

Looks like it's all sold out!  Damn, that was quick. 

I believe it starts 8 or 9 am.  Last year it started at 9am if I recall correctly.

I can only make Sunday since I will be coming back from vacation on Saturday :(.  Spoke with Larry and he okay'ed it.  

Sgt t. I booked. Ill drive if ya want. Talked to chuck at bangers. He said 25 max participants. Take your ar. We'll shoot afterwards. I hope they dont overbook. It sounds like they will. That aint cool.

Awesome. That works out great since I need to zero my Aimpoint. What gun you gonna bring? VP9?

Definitely a worthwhile class (if overcrowding isn't an issue). I took the LAV pistol class a few years ago and it was a great learning experience.

A few small suggestions in preparation for the class...

1. Really concentrate on accuracy. For those that don't know, Larry's classes are very focused on accuracy. The round count isn't going to be as high as some other classes, but each round you fire really counts. Hint: trigger control and basics is often taken for granted

2. Have a thick skin. LAV can have a pretty blunt sense of humor. Be ready to be called out openly if you do anything stupid or shoot poorly (all in good fun though). He is also very straight forward as to what he thinks of particular guns and gear. If you show up with a Kimber, SIG 1911, Springfield XD in a crappy holster and can't take it if someone doesn't like your purchases, better not attend.

3. Lube your pistols! When I took the class, some guns started choking due to just a little bit of rain, which was enough to wash away the little bit of lube some people had in their guns. Show up in the morning with adequate lube, and re-apply during your lunch break.

4. Bring as many mags as you can carry on you.

5. Don't be afraid of asking questions during breaks. LAV, despite how he appears on videos or what others on the net say about him, is pretty friendly and helpful. He'll show you the same respect you give him.

F---- no. Thats why theres a lotta interest/talk about it. Freak thing hes coming here.

Last fall I asked him if he would ever do a class in NJ, and he said "Hell No" lol.  I asked him what changed when I saw this class and he explained that a class near by was canceled and a friend of his arranged this class.  He mentioned that if this class was successful he would consider doing more classed in NJ, including a carbine class.