Dr.Jimmy Rustler

Love/Hate my VP9

First, a little back story about myself. Learned how to shoot on a G27 atleast 10 years ago. Majority of my pistol shooting has been through Glocks. Already own both Gen4 G19+G21. I think I shoot pretty tight groups with both Glocks. Love the way the HK feels in my hand, the trigger, everything. However every time I shoot this HK I shoot like crap. I'm not sure if I'm just not adjusting to the trigger or if i just suck. I've also shot my friends wilson combat 1911 which i couldn't group with either. Before getting this pistol I was a little concerned about trying a new platform but I'm starting to kick myself. 

anyone else ever have this problem? Have Glock triggers just ruined me or whats the deal?

I am issued a Glock at work and that's what I have to carry 40 hours a week. Off duty, I can carry any quality firearm I want if I can qualify with it.

I had HKs, Sigs, S&Ws, 1911s.... If I shoot a non-Glock for a bit - enough to get as fast and accurate as I am with my Glocks - when I go back to the Glocks, I can't shoot them for shit. It takes a few hundred rounds to get back up to speed.

I tried to fight it, but eventually I gave up and switched to all .40 Glocks, selling everything else (except for a 9mm Kahr and .380 LCP that I occasionally carry as BUGs).

I decided to subscribe to the "beware the man with only one gun" theory.

If we ever switch to a different duty gun, or when I retire and can choose whatever I want to carry, things may change. Until then, I'll keep shooting some flavor of Glock. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze.

I am issued a Glock at work and that's what I have to carry 40 hours a week. Off duty, I can carry any quality firearm I want if I can qualify with it.

I had HKs, Sigs, S&Ws, 1911s.... If I shoot a non-Glock for a bit - enough to get as fast and accurate as I am with my Glocks - when I go back to the Glocks, I can't shoot them for shit. It takes a few hundred rounds to get back up to speed.

I tried to fight it, but eventually I gave up and switched to all .40 Glocks, selling everything else (except for a 9mm Kahr and .380 LCP that I occasionally carry as BUGs).

If we ever switch to a different duty gun, or when I retire and can choose whatever I want to carry, things may change. Until then, I'll keep shooting some flavor of Glock. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze.

I'm becoming a LEO once I graduate. Maybe I'll go down the same route and sell it to fund another black rifle/SCAR. damn

The reason I am selling my Sig unfortunately. As much as I enjoy shooting it, the DA/SA, higher bore axis and different grip angle affect me when I go back to shooting my glocks. And seeing as if all continues on its current path, ill be issued a Glock in less then 6 months....so yeah, I agree with you %100.

Part of it is technique.  I don't know what your learning process has been with shooting firearms but it is possible you have some large flaw in you technique that the glock platform masks or you have learned to work around on using the glock platform.   If you have never taken a formal class from someone who really knows what they are doing you may consider doing so.

I can tell you that I can pick up nearly any handgun and shoot it nearly as well, but maybe not as fast.

I know HE has had plenty of formal training, so I don't know what his problem is :)

Like what Vlad says, a flaw somewhere. I can shoot all my handguns well. There are some that I shoot very well. But never bad. I have quite a few HKs. Some shoot extremely well like my P30, VP, HK45, etc. my USPs only slightly worse. My Sig shoots sweet and accurate. Probably as well as my P30. My PX 4 Storm right in there almost as good as my HKs. My Kimber 1911s outshoot my old Colt Govt but not by much. Prob due to age and needing some fine tuning.

All in all, I shoot all my weapons well enough to be comfortable with them in any situation. I can only guess I shoot one better than another possibly due my failing eye sight and steadiness.

I constantly practice at home swapping out weapons, practicing trigger discipline, and sight alignment. Either with laser target or just grab and aim scenarios. I also do not have any problem realizing what gun I grabbed. I was raised on 1911s. In other words, some say going from a 1911 to an HK confuses them and are afraid of forgetting where the mag release is for example. I do not. I know via instinct where everything is.

In the end, is it human error or just lack of training/discipline? Or is it fear to try something alien to you or even stubbornness. Only you can answer that. But it's not the guns imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree switching to or from a Glock takes some adjustment, don't know about several hundred rounds though.  I know when I got my G43 I had not shot any of my Glocks in a while and the first 10 shots or so were all in a nice tight group that was left and slightly low.  Once I realized what was going on I moved my trigger finger a little and they all came right back to center.  I am constantly switching between Glock, CZ, and STI and while I agree some adjustment is needed, it is usually only a dozen rounds or so to remember the unique aspects of each trigger and grip angle.

I agree that there is some adjustment that needs to be made when switching platforms.  They change may be very subtle.

I mainly shoot a 2011.  I shoot it well and the gun is tailored to me.  Everything falls into place and my hand goes to the natural grip.  If my hand is slightly off (not high enough, shifted a mm over to one side), I know and this impacts my hits.  I recently did some work on the grip so I can get my hand even higher on the grip and this threw me off.  It took me quite a few rounds to get re-acquainted.

I was doing some dry fire with a CZ and noticed that my regular trigger finger placement that I use for my 2011 would not work.  I noticed the sight picture was moving slightly when I pulled the trigger back.  I had to adjust my finger slightly so that the middle of my trigger finger pad sits on trigger instead of the tip.

Dry fire practice may help you find the issue.

For the record, I have trouble shooting my glock well so it just sits in the safe.  I just don't spend enough time practicing with it.  I'm not a natural at anything and have to spend a ton of time to practice.  I just don't have enough time to split between the different systems so I made a conscious effort to stay with a single platform and do well with it.

Like Howard stated, you just need to spend enough time with each one and you can switch between each if you know what changes are required.  I'm still amazed that each time I shoot with Howard, he is switching platforms.

......  I'm still amazed that each time I shoot with Howard, he is switching platforms.

That is because I am a jack of all trades, but unfortunately a master of none :)

I guess I'll start shooting only the vp9 on my range trips and put another few hundred rounds with it then decide if I'm gonna keep it or not. Just sucks because it feels good in my hand but I don't want to start shooting worse with my glocks either.

in the meantime I'll just dream about the SCAR16 :roulette:

it feels good in my hand 

There is something interesting here that it took me a while to learn, which may or may not apply to your case. 

Guns that feel good in your hand may not always be the ones that work well in your hands. Note the plural. We pick up guns with one hand and decide if something feel good or not, but we shoot them with both hands. Often what feels good in one hand is actually undersized, because it feels like fits our one hand but when shooting it I discover that I can't get enough contact from second hand to be truly a good fit. For me, the grip of a handgun has to feel slightly oversized in my right hand to work well, I want to have at least 25% of the grip exposed so my left hand has somewhere to make meaningful contact. 

You have a fairly modular grip. Replace it the bits on it until it feel slightly oversized for you, and then shoot it for a couple of hundred rounds. 

There is something interesting here that it took me a while to learn, which may or may not apply to your case. 

Guns that feel good in your hand may not always be the ones that work well in your hands. Note the plural. We pick up guns with one hand and decide if something feel good or not, but we shoot them with both hands. Often what feels good in one hand is actually undersized, because it feels like fits our one hand but when shooting it I discover that I can't get enough contact from second hand to be truly a good fit. For me, the grip of a handgun has to feel slightly oversized in my right hand to work well, I want to have at least 25% of the grip exposed so my left hand has somewhere to make meaningful contact. 

You have a fairly modular grip. Replace it the bits on it until it feel slightly oversized for you, and then shoot it for a couple of hundred rounds. 

I actually noticed exactly this with my M&P. I felt like the small grip fit best in my hand (or even hands), but when testing at the range, I shot better with the medium and I think it's because of exactly what you said. My off hand couldn't get enough contact with the small grip. Interesting that someone else noticed this.

I have a heavy 1911 and I also have the VP9.  I have no issues switching from one gun to the other. The VP does come with a large, medium and small grip assortment. You might wanna try and see which works best.

Also you said you shoot like crap.  What does that mean? 1.5" grouping to 5", missing the target, pulling or anticipation? Or did I miss that in the thread?

I will say that the trigger is pretty stiff initially but has gotten smoother after a few hundred rounds. That DEF could add to the shooting like crap./