Pizza Bob

New Jersey Firearm Purchase and Permitting Study Commission,

This is the commission being formed pursuant to Christie's Executive Order #180. Any rumblings as to who may be appointed?

I e-mailed the governor's office and nominated a friend of mine who is highly qualified. I just don't want to see the likes of Loretta Weinberg or Charles Mainor on the commission.

I would say that the appointees will be indicative of how sincere this effort will be.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell, but Evan Nappan would be a good commissioner.

Sadly I suspect they'll be picked from NJ law enforcement upper echelon, who have all been involved in getting us where we are today. I'd be happy to be wrong but I'm not optimistic.

I can't believe this negativity! The cynicism! Gadzooks!

Take a lesson from Uncle Newt. Always be positive. Never criticize, only praise. Don't insist on having the last word. Believe! We're all in this together. 

And above all don't be an asshole!!

I can't believe this negativity! The cynicism! Gadzooks!

Take a lesson from Uncle Newt. Always be positive. Never criticize, only praise. Don't insist on having the last word. Believe! We're all in this together.

And above all don't be an asshole!!

Where you looking in a mirror when you stated that? <: :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just don't want to see the likes of Loretta Weinberg or Charles Mainor on the commission.

I would say that the appointees will be indicative of how sincere this effort will be.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You bring up a potential problem. Given how Christie is big on bipartisan stuff, and how he gave away his authority to appoint a US Senator when Lautenberg died, he may in fact put a liberal on his committee. So the committee has "legitimacy" in his asinine view.

But, that only matters if this committee matters. Which is not clear.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell, but Evan Nappan would be a good commissioner.

Sadly I suspect they'll be picked from NJ law enforcement upper echelon, who have all been involved in getting us where we are today. I'd be happy to be wrong but I'm not optimistic.

I never met Nappan so this statement is based on my experience with other lawyers in this state

He wants the laws to be strict and confusing in order to generate more business for himself and therefor not a good choice

A better choice would be reps from NRA/ILA

What really needs to come out with this commission is that NJ's laws are in fact unconstitutional based on the US constitution and not just the justifiable need BS for carrying.   It must be noted by this commission that ALL of NJ's laws are based on NJ laws that are no longer in constitutional standing with the Heller and McDonald decisions, This must be noted.  It will certainly be interesting to see who gets appointed to this commission.  Just keep an eye on Christie's poll numbers to see how far he might go before the primary's,  That will tell us how far this "commission" will go.   If he even makes it to a debate I'm sure he will tell the country how he is pro 2A because of this commission. 

What really needs to come out with this commission is that NJ's laws are in fact unconstitutional based on the US constitution and not just the justifiable need BS for carrying.   It must be noted by this commission that ALL of NJ's laws are based on NJ laws that are no longer in constitutional standing with the Heller and McDonald decisions, This must be noted.  It will certainly be interesting to see who gets appointed to this commission.  Just keep an eye on Christie's poll numbers to see how far he might go before the primary's,  That will tell us how far this "commission" will go.   If he even makes it to a debate I'm sure he will tell the country how he is pro 2A because of this commission. 

While what you say is true, I think you are over-reaching. This is a golden opportunity for some real reform and if we take an intractable stand, we'll be right back where we started. All I'm saying is keep an open mind. The longest journey begins with but a single step.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

One sentence in EO 180 really stands out,  "The Study Commission shallconsist of members with expertise in criminal law." It should consist of members with expertise in CONSTITUTIONAL law.

Gun owners are criminals granted amnesty by statute according to many in politics. So if they are going to create some law to further expand our exemptions from prosecution for possessing a firearm, they'll need criminal law experts.

Seriously... This is how they see it.

While what you say is true, I think you are over-reaching. This is a golden opportunity for some real reform and if we take an intractable stand, we'll be right back where we started. All I'm saying is keep an open mind. The longest journey begins with but a single step.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I wholeheartedly agree!  Have an open mind but keep options available.  Things like the Recall should still go on.  And so should the vigil for Carol Bowne on the 7th (this Tuesday).  All of these pieces have to fit the jenga puzzle in order for the right amount of pressure to be exerted so the Commission actually does something AND THEN Christie has to go with one or more recommendations from this commission.  None of this will happen overnight.  In the meantime, more Shaneen Allens will be "caught" and more Carol Bownes will die.  And we're on a "fast-track" to give DV victims more rights than you and I have.  Problem is they have to become a VIC first, and if they don't get KILLED then, then they can apply for a "quicker turn-around on a NJFPID card.  Meanwhile in Iowa, the Sheriff's Deputy told my son he could have his Iowa "Permit to Acquire" by Thursday (after applying during his Monday lunch hour), and if he needed it "fast-tracked", he could pick it up in 24 HOURS (not 43 days like Carol died WAITING for hers)!

But then you and I know all of this and I'm writing it for the masses Bob!

Take care.  Today is a black powder novelty match, so I get to play with EXPLOSIVES, lol!

Dave

I'm just hopping they use internal  NJ people and don't invite Diane Fienstein

In which case, I believe Evan Nappen might not qualify.... as I believe, these days, his primary domicile is in New England (Vermont or New Hampshire)...

I wouldn't expect much out of it, remember the kangaroo court that was the Sandy Hook study commission? They will report back with all politically driven talking points suitable to advancing Christie's presidential ambitions but nothing will come if it. They might recommend some good things, then some republicans will try to pass then, fail, then throw up their hands and say we tried, oh well

Has anybody actually looked into this?

He's your governor and you have legislators. Sending an email and speculating on the internet is not exactly activism. I am not criticizing, I'm just concerned. These people are accountable to tell you what is going on, and there should be an ongoing two-way dialogue with them. I'm not sure you're going to get daily copies of minutes from this committee but we have to get involved and make appointments to go down, meet with them, and establish and ongoing dialogue.

Has anybody actually looked into this? He's your governor and you have legislators. Sending an email and speculating on the internet is not exactly activism. I am not criticizing, I'm just concerned. These people are accountable to tell you what is going on, and there should be an ongoing two-way dialogue with them. I'm not sure you're going to get daily copies of minutes from this committee but we have to get involved and make appointments to go down, meet with them, and establish and ongoing dialogue.

Except for one or two form letters no member of the legislature or NJ Republican party has ever responded to an email I've written to them, and this is going back 15 years. Calling their offices is only slightly less frustrating. You get a 24 year old staffer building her resume for law school whose only intelligible response is exhaling vigorously through her nostrils as if I'm wasting her time.

I will soon be reporting in my "political vulnerability" thread on results getting through to those 6-7 guys in "vulnerable" districts. My guess is it will be nada.

Maybe they're right, that the only way to win is to be the world's biggest fukcen prick.

Has anybody actually looked into this? He's your governor and you have legislators. Sending an email and speculating on the internet is not exactly activism. I am not criticizing, I'm just concerned. These people are accountable to tell you what is going on, and there should be an ongoing two-way dialogue with them. I'm not sure you're going to get daily copies of minutes from this committee but we have to get involved and make appointments to go down, meet with them, and establish and ongoing dialogue.

Are you aware of who's actually on the comittee so we know who to contact? Havent seen a clue as to any appointees other than their qualification to serve being a "criminal law" expert. Not a good start if thats the angle Christie is taking.

Not sure who's on the committee. But Mipa is right about establishing contact and getting an open channel of some sort. Be aware that some or all of these appointees won't be legislators. So contact info won't be on the state web site. But some will know whats going on. Have to figure out who they are.

Except for one or two form letters no member of the legislature or NJ Republican party has ever responded to an email I've written to them, and this is going back 15 years. Calling their offices is only slightly less frustrating. You get a 24 year old staffer building her resume for law school whose only intelligible response is exhaling vigorously through her nostrils as if I'm wasting her time.

I will soon be reporting in my "political vulnerability" thread on results getting through to those 6-7 guys in "vulnerable" districts. My guess is it will be nada.

Maybe they're right, that the only way to win is to be the world's biggest fukcen prick.

OK, so you've never required them to do anything, and never established a dialogue. Just emailed and called them and then let them off the hook when they blew you off.

And, you've never been down there. Or, for that matter, the local office of your legislators which are much closer to you.

What did you do? Call them and say, "I want this." And they said, "Duly noted." You have to make them work and do stuff for you and hold them accountable. Not make them pass a law with a phone call, freshman. But make them get you answers and force them to maintain a dialogue with you, whether they cooperate or not. And, you have to meet with their staffers face to face from time to time. I know you have the time to do this, so there are no excuses.

Are you aware of who's actually on the comittee so we know who to contact? Havent seen a clue as to any appointees other than their qualification to serve being a "criminal law" expert. Not a good start if thats the angle Christie is taking.

Of course. I'm speaking with Christie's office and your district legislators on your behalf.

Seriously? Seriously?

You need to talk to your representatives and Christie's office. Hold them accountable to get you answers and give you updates. Call back. Every few days if they don't get back to you and ask why. Meet their staff at their office local to you, and at Trenton if you have the time.

Why TF are you asking me?

Do your job. Start talking to the people that you pay to represent you and get answers and demand satisfaction. If half the people in this thread spent 5 minutes a week on this we would have an idea WTF was going on and they would know the heat is on.

You people would run it all the way up the chain if they refused to give you cheese sauce on your hotdog at Walmart. And you are not willing to spend 5 or 10 minutes a week, and maybe one visit a month to their local office, to actually open a dialogue with your reps? It doesn't even matter if they support you or not. They have to work to get you answers. Even simply annoying them (not the goal) is of value. Get engaged.

OK, so you've never required them to do anything, and never established a dialogue. Just emailed and called them and then let them off the hook when they blew you off.

And, you've never been down there. Or, for that matter, the local office of your legislators which are much closer to you.

What did you do? Call them and say, "I want this." And they said, "Duly noted." You have to make them work and do stuff for you and hold them accountable. Not make them pass a law with a phone call, freshman. But make them get you answers and force them to maintain a dialogue with you, whether they cooperate or not. And, you have to meet with their staffers face to face from time to time. I know you have the time to do this, so there are no excuses.

Of course. I'm speaking with Christie's office and your district legislators on your behalf.

Seriously? Seriously?

You need to talk to your representatives and Christie's office. Hold them accountable to get you answers and give you updates. Call back. Every few days if they don't get back to you and ask why. Meet their staff at their office local to you, and at Trenton if you have the time.

Do your job. Start talking to the people that you pay to represent you and get answers and demand satisfaction. If half the people in this thread spent 5 minutes a week on this we would have an idea WTF was going on and they would know the heat is on.

You people would run it all the way up the chain if they refused to give you cheese sauce on your hotdog at Walmart. And you are not willing to spend 5 or 10 minutes a week, and maybe one visit a month to their local office, to actually open a dialogue with your reps? It doesn't even matter if they support you or not. They have to work to get you answers. Even simply annoying them (not the goal) is of value. Get engaged.

Um, it was a rhetorical question. I know you dont know who's on the commission but I'd like to get some info/credentials on them before I start yapping to my reps about a phantom comittee no one knows anything about yet or at least making it public. Was hoping to see some form of press/info release by now.

Um, it was a rhetorical question. I know you dont know who's on the commission but I'd like to get some info/credentials on them before I start yapping to my reps about a phantom comittee no one knows anything about yet or at least making it public. Was hoping to see some form of press/info release by now.

I'm sorry. I have to shoot straight and say it's frustrating watching this thread.

I would really suggest you stop waiting.

Seriously? Seriously?

Not every email I've sent has required action on their part, and only in recent years has any of it been firearm related. Most have been legislation suggestions, gripes, or general NJ stuff. Lately, with respect to "political vulnerability," they've been as unresponsive as the skeleton of Charlemagne.

BTW if NRA rated state reps mine would receive A grades. They don't get to vote twice because I drop in to say hi.

By action I mean get them involved with you. Not just demanding a vote, or that they sponsor a bill. Get them to work for you. Make them get you answers to questions. Offer to help them by providing information. Work for you, not legislate for you. Calling and asking for a bill or a vote gets a checkmark on a pad and then they can forget about you. Don't let them off the hook. Ask them who Christie is putting on this committee (they won't know). Tell them who you would suggest, and ask them to get back to you after speaking with your rep. Then ask them to have your rep get an answer from Christie and get back to you. Then go and meet with them to review the progress.

That's just an example.

I'm not talking about wasting their time, but you have to have them work to take you seriously. You can't let their job end when the phone call is over. This is a project, a process, not a vote or petition. That is how you establish a relationship, start getting your voice heard, and start getting inside information. This is how it is done. It can take two 5 minute phone calls a week and maybe a face to face once a month if you have the time, or not if you don't. It is not a Herculean effort.

But their work should almost never end when your phone call or email ends. Your contact should either be help or a work order. Again, not making up busy work, or screwing them around, but making sure they are staying involved and getting you involved.