OfcrFek

The "No Handguards" Rule...

Is that restriction just on handguns that have a magazine that feeds outside the pistol grip, as the 50oz mfg weight limit? Or is it on all handguns? I can't seem to find anything on it in NJ law using my Google-foo.

I ask mainly because a friend and I were discussing the Sig Adaptive Carbine Platform (yes, I read the other posts on NJGF about it) and couldn't find any definitive answer on whether or not it is in fact NJ legal (the one w/o the stock obviously). From what I understand, it isn't bound by the 50oz weight limit as the mag feeds in the pistol grip. The only other thing that I could think would make it a no-go is that funky hand stop.  

The weight criteria is based on manufactured weight. What you do after acquisition is all legal as long as you don't add a stock to a handgun without first adding a 16"+ barrel.

to answer your question.. ALL apply IF it is semi auto.. mag outside the grip is ONE feature... 

so it is "IF semi auto the following applies"

NOT

"IF mag outside of grip"

but as paul pointed out.. it is manufactured weight.. as far as I can tell from the video.. it probably at least has a "barrel shroud" 

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

This means that if it is a semi-automatic pistol and has a detachable magazine it can have ONE of the following features and still be legal, but if it has two or more, then it would not be legal.

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer;
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and
that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being
burned;
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Let me break it down. A semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine is the qualifier. If the mag does not come off the gun like a typical pistol we think of, it can have all the evil features. The semi-auto pistol that qualifies can now have no more than one evil feature. You choose from the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

1. A Desert Eagle qualifies, but only has one feature. It is over 50 ounces. One feature.

2. The Ruger 22 Charger is not legal as it is over 50 ounces, AND has a shroud around the barrel, threaded barrel, and a mag outside the grip. Four features.

In reference to the SIG ACP, IMO it is legal, but stupid.