medved11

Springfield M1A MP 9220 - Legal in NJ?

There's a discussion on another message board about whether or not the Springfield M1A MP 9220 is legal in NJ.

I could swear that I've seen someone at Range 14 with one.

Can anyone confirm that it's legal in NJ.?

I don't see why it wouldn't be as long as it doesn't have a bayonet lug, the muzzle device is pinned, and used with a 15 round mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1A is NJ Legal - just watch the number of evil features depending on the model.  The 9220 model doesn't have a bayo lug by the looks of it.  The stock is questionable if it's considered to be a Pistol Grip or not... And there's definitely a flash hider on the front.  Barring your FFL or how much you want to risk it - go for it with or without compliance work (changing the FH to a Comp and pinning it)...   There are other models that are NJ Compliant right out of the box.

See N.J.S.A.2C:39-1w(2) and Attorney General’s Guidelines Regarding the “Substantially Identical” Provision in the State’s Assault Firearms Laws dated August 19, 1996.

The Springfield M1A is not one of the enumerated firearms which are specifically prohibited under the State’s assault firearms laws. It has been prohibited in this State as being substantially identical to a named firearm.

However, according to the manufacturer’s specifications, the M1A has been modified. The modified M1A, which became available in 1994, would not be considered to be substantially identical to a prohibited firearm in accordance with the statutory provision and the Attorney General’s guidelines cited above.

However, earlier versions of the M1A which contains at least two of the criteria identified in Paragraph B of the Attorney General’s Guidelines, supra, would still be considered to be substantially identical to a prohibited firearm and continue to be banned under our State law.

As a result, it will be necessary to clearly distinguish the physical characteristics or lack of physical characteristics when making a determination regarding the M1A rifle.