RealFreakinNato

Hex Mags = Wont Chamber

Download them by one round, or insert them with an open bolt.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

This doesn't work the problem is the lips are too tall, talked with hunter at hexmags he said the only options were to sand the top of the magazine (he sent me 4 new mags and 1 fde mag that was sanded by hexmag to show me where to sand).  He also said there is a new mold on order but new mags from that mold won't be available for a couple months.  he also offered me a refund if i didnt want to sand the magazines.  Wise tactical also offered me a full refund as well, which is where i bought the magazine from.  also talked with hunter about the date codes on the magazines, all hexmags have a date of 6/13 (something to do with when 30rd mags were banned in their state) he said the new mags from the new mold will have current date codes.

Download them by one round, or insert them with an open bolt.

I just tried and it's still the same, I put 1 round in them and they seat okay but not as good as a pmag. 

This afternoon, I went to SJSC with a friend of mine to test/sight in his newly built AR.

He has Hex Mags. Personally, I like the PMags from Midwest PX, but I was anxious to check out the Hex Mag, especially at the price point.

I was surprised to find that his 15/30 Hex mag will actually hold 16 rounds. Won't seat on a closed bolt, but will work perfectly on an open bolt. YIKES!!

I advised him to send it back to wherever he obtained it from.

Do any other Hex Mag owners have this issue, or is this a fluke?

The Hexmag is made to hold 15 rounds. Would you put 16 in a Glock 19 magazine because it will fit? :facepalm:

With a due respect, PK90, I know better.

Originally, I didn't load 16 into the mag. My friend wasn't paying attention to how many he loaded into the mag, and then found he couldn't seat the mag on a closed bolt.

My initial investigation revealed that he had overloaded the mag. After unloading it, I reloaded it myself and discovered that the 16th round would fit EASILY into the mag. Didn't have to force it.

It would be easy for a new AR owner who may not know any better to load that 16th round into the mag. That was the point.

With all the hex mags i have..  i can only load 15 rounds.  I also have no issues with them seating properly with 15 rds.  By that I mean if the bolt is open, i can easily seat it with all 15 rds..  if bolt is closed, 14 rds allows it to seat properly with no issues.  its very difficult to seat 15 rds with a closed bolt.  (i.e. almost impossible on mine)..  but functionality has been 100% thus far..  have tried about 5 or 6 different mags, all work ok...  i guess it depends on what lower you have (mine is spikes)

I've run into a similar problem with Hex Mags, mine won't seat and lock properly in the magazine well. But if I separate the upper and the lower, the mags seat and lock in with no problem. I have no problems with my PMags or the D&H tactical one that came with the rifle. 

Fortunately I was able to get a refund and they told me I could just keep them.

Here's where it gets weird, my brothers Colt AR has no problem with these mags, just my Ruger AR556

Of course if we didn't have this retarded 15 round magazine restriction here in the People's Republic of NJ it would be easier to find mags

That's not an error. There is nothing they can do.

Download the mags by 1 and drive on.

Seating most mags loaded to full capacity on a closed bolt will be difficult. That's why a lot of people advocate downloading mags.

My 30 rounders at work are all loaded to 28. My 15 round mags are loaded to 14.

• Like 1

That's not an error. There is nothing they can do.

Download the mags by 1 and drive on.

Seating most mags loaded to full capacity on a closed bolt will be difficult. That's why a lot of people advocate downloading mags.

My 30 rounders at work are all loaded to 28. My 15 round mags are loaded to 14.

Why 28 and not 29? You hate odd numbers like me? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just always taught 28.

Someone, I forget who, once told me that the rifle feeds more reliably from an open bolt with the round on the right. Pretty sure that's bullshit, but whatevs.

I think the real answer is that two rounds down on a traditional 30 round mag gives you the proper clearance needed to clear the bolt carrier. 1 single round is not quite enough.

PMags changed that. They were designed to actually load with thirty, not just fit 30.

But I'm a big fan of consistency - so all mags to 28.

• Like 2

I've run into a similar problem with Hex Mags, mine won't seat and lock properly in the magazine well. But if I separate the upper and the lower, the mags seat and lock in with no problem. I have no problems with my PMags or the D&H tactical one that came with the rifle.

Fortunately I was able to get a refund and they told me I could just keep them.

Here's where it gets weird, my brothers Colt AR has no problem with these mags, just my Ruger AR556

Of course if we didn't have this retarded 15 round magazine restriction here in the People's Republic of NJ it would be easier to find mags

Sandy has a similar issue with her Stag. Pmags seat fine but hex mags won't.

We finally took the time to figure out why.

Hex mags fit my RRA fine. They also fit with the Stag upper on the RRA lower and vice versa. It seems that the Stag upper and lower together has a few thou less depth which doesn't allow the mag to insert far enough to catch.

• Like 1

Someone, I forget who, once told me that the rifle feeds more reliably from an open bolt with the round on the right. Pretty sure that's bullshit, but whatevs.

I think the real answer is that two rounds down on a traditional 30 round mag gives you the proper clearance needed to clear the bolt carrier. 1 single round is not quite enough.

PMags changed that. They were designed to actually load with thirty, not just fit 30.

I was always taught the same. 28 in a USGI 30rd mag. Fortunately or unfortunately, which ever, never had the use of 30rd magazines in NJ :-(

When I took the rifle class with S&T, Joe was nice enough to lend my friend from NY and me some of his 30rd PMags. I loaded three stripper clips (30rd) in each and they we're perfectly on a closed bolt.

I'm pretty sure it's just some folks OCD about a loaded mag having the top round on the right side of the mag. 

when the AWB sunset occured, I converted some bushy 10 rounders to "15 rounders". Not wanting to make 16 rounders, most of them held 14 rounds. There were just some folks that caused inappropriate amounts of agita with becasue the top bullet was on the wrong side when full. When I explained that they weren't all the same even despite looking the same, you would have thought I killed their dog or something. Some folks are just walking talkin piles of bad-assery until their shit isn't lined up just so, and then it's the end of the world or something and you are a monster for not having it rustle your jimmies appropriately.