Sign in to follow this  
sinter

BB gun question?

2C:39-1 - Definitions

subsection (w)(4) - (4)A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds.

Yes, IF your BB fits this or any of other definitions of assault firearms. 

Is yours a semi-automatic with a fixed magazine ?

No, otherwise (this is mostly the case) .

Edit: Should have included definition for large capacity magazine too.. KeyWord: Semi-Automatic Firearm

--------------

y."Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm

------------

"A Semi-Auto Rifle with a detachable magazine"

BB Gun Magazines fall under the exact same guidelines as any Semi-Auto weapon

(Hand Gun or Rifle - doesn't matter).

But tubular magazines are limited to 15 rds...that's what made the early Marlin model 60's illegal...so I would assume co2 BB rifles are like tubular magazine  22 rifles.

Are there even any Co2 BB rifles that aren't single shot that only hold 15 rds?

I read that differently.

The Mod 60 has a detachable tube mag. I have one. But I thought JnJ meant those BB guns where you pour BBs into the receiver, which is the magazine and it is not detachable. Those hold lots of BBs. But i think the ones I saw were all pump up models. If it were CO2 and were semi auto, those fillable receiver models seem to be considered AWs per 2C:39-1. Unless they require some sort of action to load each BB.

But..does what i describe actually exist? CO2 SA ?

^^^^More importantly we have someone quoting law on RIFLES and last I looked BB guns by their very nature are SMOOTHBORE.  No riled barrel.......

I'll admit I don't own any and haven't played with any in quite some time, so I'll have to defer to our Expert BB-Gunners here as to whether or not a particular action is available in "semi-auto".

I guess the easiest way to find-out what's legal and what's not with BB pistols is to simply knock-over a Bank with one.  As the dust settles, I'm sure the fancy lawyers workin' for the DA will charge you with everything possible, so then we'll know for sure, lol! (sarcasm off)

There is a court ruling from the mid 90's that enjoined the state of NJ from enforcing the AWB against air guns. I've posted it on here several times, but no one seems to remember it.

Yes, I know and thanks!  I'm trying to get others to use the file search features and post-its.  More important, I'm trying to get others to THINK, to draw conclusions based upon FACTS instead of myths, urban or otherwise.  And it's working.  Hell, we have more than one "Grasshopper" these days, lol!

Seriously, if BB smothbores were made illegal in NJ I'd swear died-in-the-wool Dems would have an uprising over it, since they could no longer buy one for their grand-kids!  Not even NJ can touch that "third rail".  With social media these days, I can see the headlines now, "Granny gets arrested on Rt. 78 bringin' back a BB gun from PA"!

I read where in 2013 NJ made or proposed that BB guns with sound reducers were considered equipped with silencers and deemed illegal.

Clearly the purpose of the sound reducers is to quiet it down for the shooter and people nearby. Not to be a college bell tower sniper. Its just absurd what these pols and the state police do here.

I've looked for that '90s ruling but can't find it. Yet...

I think OP is asking about something like this:

http://www.evike.com/products/53057/

A CO2 pistol that's semi auto and fires .177 cal pellets... NOT an airsoft gun.

It's an air gun, which is deemed a firearm in NJ..

It has a removable magazine, capacity of more than 15...

I would say not legal in NJ.