Ace08066

So... That's what I get for $22... Recommendations for a moderately priced, good reflex?

Well I found a reflex sight on Amazon, some no-name-brand, for $22... Which I admit I normally wouldn't buy.  It had countless reviews of people saying it worked great with 1k+ rounds downrange on AK's, ARs, even a .458 SOCOM, so I figured hey... why not.

I went to sight it in today, only took 9 rounds to actually sight in - it was really close.  I spent 50 or so rounds getting it as perfect as I could...  Started shooting for fun...

100 rounds in and the thing started getting all glitchy on me.  Green dot stopped working, red dot was working funky...  Every 3 shots it would turn off.  Meh, live and learn, $22 and 100 rounds basically wasted.

But, I'm posting because I've searched all over at different optics and I'd *really* hate to spend 100/200 on an optic just to find out it's a repackage of the one I got some douche is selling for big bucks.  I know there are some select brands that are trustworthy, but they're all in the $400+ range and I just don't have that kinda money to drop on one right now.

I'm interested in a reflex style sight.  Doesn't have to be true holographic, don't need any bells or whistles.  Just a solid sight that's gonna last.  Preferably under $200.  Any suggestions?

Oooph...  Yeah that's a bit more than I wanna spend right this minute...  Thanks though.

I've seen this Barksa name around on the web - This particular sight any good?  http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-88679

You may want to check out the thread I started a while back titled "The Best of the Worst Red Dots".  The topic is centered around budget red dots priced under $150

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/75927-the-best-of-the-worst-red-dots/

I just bought a strikefire I for like 85 shipped. It's going on a fun gun so I'm not worried. Imo you have 3 tiers of RDS worth buying

Aimpoint/eo tech -$300 and up

Vortex -150-300

Primary arms - under 150

Tier 1 is get what you pay for

Tier 2 is mid range with lifetime warranty

Tier 3 is inexpensive but usable if you're using this as a range gun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have the same problem buying electronics that will take a beating.  Optics, flashlights, radios, cell phones.  I'm always worried that I'm buying junk that won't hold up - no matter what the price.

I wish there were a rating system for electronics and one category was how it survived being dragged in the mud, thrown down the stairs, stepped on, run over, and fished out of the lake.

I know you want a reflex, but if you decide on a regular red dot I would recommend the Primary Arms Micro.  They start at around $79, I actually bought it because it has a 2 MOA dot.  I have a few thousand rounds through mine with no issues.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

I've spent about an hour on the Primary Arms website looking at their various sights as well as the ones they carry from other manufacturers.  I love asking for advice here because you fella's always know just where to go.  I've done a heck of a lot of research into reviews of Primary Arms sights and between the recommendations here and what I've read I'm satisfied in spending the money on a good sight from them.

Right now it's a toss up between a

Micro dot https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_Removable_Base_Gen_II_NV_p/md-rbgii.htm

or reflex https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Red_Dot_Reflex_Sight_with_Push_Button_p/parrs02.htm

I've shot with a reflex quite a bit, I like them... I like the openness of the sight, the field of view retention... But I'm debating on trying the micro dot.  I've never actually shot with an enclosed red dot, I dunno if I'd like it...  Hate to spend $100 on something I don't like.

I dunno, I'll probly go with the reflex.

Thanks for the advice guys!

As High Exposure will say, "buy once, cry once". :)

Save up your money and buy a decent optic. You won't regret it.

S.

Correct. Save your pennies and get what you want.

I'm currently saving for a Trijicon VCOG.

So, I made up my mind and I ordered the Micro Dot.  $89.99 can't beat it and after watching probably about 3 hours worth of video reviews on it, including one where a guy literally throws his rifle to the ground three times, drags it through a mud puddle, rinses it off in a clean puddle, then proceeds to smack the sight around a few times followed by a successful double-tap with a working sight, (And a working rifle...  God bless the AK).

I did get the chance to shoot my buddy's rifle yesterday with a Trijon ACOG, and while the sight I ordered is certainly no comparison I'm comfortable with the enclosed dot.

Thanks for the recommendations fellers.  $97 including shipping for a sight I can drop into mud, rinse off, smack around and still use effectively...  Well, you'll never see my rifle in the mud but it's nice to know the sight will survive. :D