MidwestPX

Ruger Precision Rifles

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1564384-the-ruger-precision-rifle-6-5-cm

So these guns are ridiculously cool in my opinion.  AR logistics, an externally adjustable trigger, hammer forged sub-MOA barrel, and wicked low cost.  I have a 6.5C gas gun that I really enjoy shooting but I really see one of these being added to my collection as that 24" bbl and ability to use AICS mags as well as SR25 pattern mags has me sold.  I didn't think I'd be excited about bolt guns but honestly, the first one that I can snag is going into my personal collection.

That is very impressive. I see a 6.5 Creedmoor in my future.

I've actually been looking at 6.5 Creedmoor for a few weeks now... I'm going to be picking one of these up. Really looks like a good platform to build off of. Only thing I'm looking to change is the selector and grip... which their website says it will take AR parts. Is there a difference between that selector (45 degree) and a standard AR selector (90 degree)?

Now, if Ruger kept the Red Label, I'd be buying two new Rugers.

I like that myself. I need to replace my bolt gun I gave away. We had brief conversation about the CM.... This might fit the bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its also available in .308.  I saw the article on Snipers Hide this morning.  I was considering doing a build with a 20" 700 5R, but I might just go to this instead.  I already have a 7.62 OBR and if I can use the same mags - awesome!  Wish it was a little shorter, but I could always pull the barrel off and have it cut/recrowned if I want to.  Seems like you can work on with standard AR tools.  Might swap the handguard as well for something I like more, but this would be down the road.

I don't want to add yet another caliber right now, so I would stick with .308

So far I have not been able to find them for sale, but I am sure they will be available shortly. 

Seems like a really good way to get started in precision rifle which is what I'd like to do.

$1400 list plus optics and accessories. Vs $3000 for just a 700 based custom.

Was looking at other options like a custom 6.5 but this may be the ticket.

NJ legal correct? I'm going for the 6.5 I think.

PS, nobody has them in stock that can find. On a waiting list now.

NJ legal correct? I'm going for the 6.5 I think.

PS, nobody has them in stock that can find. On a waiting list now.

Yes, should be no issue in NJ.   The lengths are fine.  Better than 26" overall and better than  16" barrel.  Mag not an issue.

I was wondering about the threaded barrel, pistol grip and the folding stock but those restrictions seem to only apply to a Semi Auto Rif/SG.  So I think it's fine.  Like a tactical pump shotgun.  We just can't thread a suppressor on.

But I like the idea of the 6.5 Creedmoor.   Having similar ballistics to a .300 Win Mag and less recoil than a .308. Plus 200 fps better at 800 yds than a .308....   What's not to like?  Ammo choices maybe, but availability isn't a problem. 

For me this is a way to get in to PR at a point when I'm curious rather than fully committed.  For $5K or $6K, I'd have to be serious.  For $2500 with decent optics, it's less of a dilemma to tackle.  Not that $2500 isn't a lot of cash.... 

Looking forward to getting this rifle.  I just hope their general production runs can maintain the same standards.

The 6.5 is by far a better round for sure, but I have 7.62x51/.308 ammo already, I am not set up for reloading (yet) and don't want to buy yet another factory round.  With the barrel swap being so easy (if the advertising is true) I can easily go to 6.5 in the future.

I would change the grip, put a brake on it and go to town.  My Steiner 5-25 would hop between the Ruger and the OBS since I don't plan on shooting both and don't have the $ to invest in yet another high end scope.

This would hold me over plenty until I can afford a GAP built gun.

I have a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and its so accurate, so consistent, its ridiculously boring (And that's a compliment). 1/2 MOA with factory Hornady 140gr AMax ammo and the same with my own 140gr AMax reloads all day long. I've personally run it out to 600 yards and it runs that with ease. Recoil is in-between a 223 and a 308 so its very mild. Super long heavy bullets with high BC buck wind and track true like its child play. Brass is hearty too. I'm on 6 or 7 reloads with the same batch of 200 cases and have only pitched 1 or 2 due to a loose neck, but no splits or loose primer pockets (And i load them very warm).

This caliber is just inherently great and any pretty much any well built gun chambered in it will be a winner.

The 6.5 is by far a better round for sure, but I have 7.62x51/.308 ammo already, I am not set up for reloading (yet) and don't want to buy yet another factory round. With the barrel swap being so easy (if the advertising is true) I can easily go to 6.5 in the future./quote]

I'm in the opposite boat...

I stock/shoot .30-06, which I have a Garand and M1903. Don't have a .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor, so going with 6.5mm makes it a better choice. .308 is so close to .30-06 that I would be stocking pretty much an identical cartridge that I cannot shoot in the other chamber. My M1903 is a replica of a USMC sniper rifle (8x scope), so this rifle in .308 isn't doing much for me.

The ballistics of 6.5 Creedmoor really has me interested. Accurate cartridge, and isn't affected as much by wind like other rounds.

The 6.5 is by far a better round for sure, but I have 7.62x51/.308 ammo already, I am not set up for reloading (yet) and don't want to buy yet another factory round.  With the barrel swap being so easy (if the advertising is true) I can easily go to 6.5 in the future.

I would change the grip, put a brake on it and go to town.  My Steiner 5-25 would hop between the Ruger and the OBS since I don't plan on shooting both and don't have the $ to invest in yet another high end scope.

This would hold me over plenty until I can afford a GAP built gun.

That Steiner scope is a nice piece of equipment Alex.  Not in my $$ range at the moment, but I imagine you're pretty happy with it.

Yeah and no point in switching cartridges at this point. You've got an investment already in something that sounds like it works just fine. 

They say that 6.5cm is the new 308... Military has been pondering it too. I wont mind adding that particular caliber to my collection. Gets great reviews. I just don't want any new handgun calibers if I can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6.5 is by far a better round for sure, but I have 7.62x51/.308 ammo already, I am not set up for reloading (yet) and don't want to buy yet another factory round. With the barrel swap being so easy (if the advertising is true) I can easily go to 6.5 in the future./quote]

I'm in the opposite boat...

I stock/shoot .30-06, which I have a Garand and M1903. Don't have a .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor, so going with 6.5mm makes it a better choice. .308 is so close to .30-06 that I would be stocking pretty much an identical cartridge that I cannot shoot in the other chamber. My M1903 is a replica of a USMC sniper rifle (8x scope), so this rifle in .308 isn't doing much for me.

The ballistics of 6.5 Creedmoor really has me interested. Accurate cartridge, and isn't affected as much by wind like other rounds.

I would do the same in your position.  If all I had was 5.56 guns I would buy into the 6.5 for sure.  I will eventually, but in the short term, its .308 for me.  This will be my first bolt gun for sure!

That Steiner scope is a nice piece of equipment Alex.  Not in my $$ range at the moment, but I imagine you're pretty happy with it.

I have a NF 2.5-10 and the Steiner is in a different world.  I got an AWESOME deal from Liberty Optics for it just as the hype about the new US made 5-25s was reaching its zenith.  

Ridiculously cheap, for what you are getting.  If the Ruger Precision delivers on all the talking points, they will sell a metric shit-ton of them.

There might be one in my future.

Eric

The only issue i can see is that the stock barrel is a little light for extended strings of fire. .75 at the muzzle and medium profile hints of it being more of a "sporter" profile. Hopefully, either Ruger or a good barrel maker will offer different barrel choices in the future.

Still, this sounds like one helluva entry level precision rifle. I would take this all day over, say, a Rem 700 SPS AAC. For an extra $400 ish, you are getting much more gun than you would dumping that money into upgrades for the 700.

Eric

The only issue i can see is that the stock barrel is a little light for extended strings of fire. .75 at the muzzle and medium profile hints of it being more of a "sporter" profile. Hopefully, either Ruger or a good barrel maker will offer different barrel choices in the future.

Still, this sounds like one helluva entry level precision rifle. I would take this all day over, say, a Rem 700 SPS AAC. For an extra $400 ish, you are getting much more gun than you would dumping that money into upgrades for the 700.

Eric

Frank G at SnipersHide says that he shot longer strings with no issues.

Frank G at SnipersHide says that he shot longer strings with no issues.

I would still like to know the barrel measurements for my own satisfaction, but if Frank/Lowlight says its GTG, it probably is.

Eric

Seems like a smart move by Ruger. Seems like a lot of people that were on the fence are going to get in. Wonder if other manufacturers will build a similar rifle? The more the merrier.

And I hope Ruger makes enough of them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk