matty

Which buffer for rifle length fixed stock

I wouldn't play around with buffer weights and all that yet. If you use rifle stock (full length) use the a2 and if you use a carbine stock use a carbine weight buffer. You can fine tune it when you get some rounds down range.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don't mix the springs up either, they are different between A2/Rifle and Carbine also.  Don't forget about commercial and mil-spec carbine tube sizing also.  Find your stock and we'll help you get it on.  

Yeah, I am thinking of the Magpul MOE Rifle stock. Whilst I have some attentions, anyone have recco for a complete upper in 20" bbl, preferably w/ target crown, rather than playing the muzzle device game?  Rifle will be for range & whatever NRA competitions I can make at CJRPC.

What is the length of the barrel and the gas system you plan on using in the build?  If you are going to use a barrel 18" or longer with a mid or rifle length gas system you should be okay with an A2 buffer and tube.  If you are going with a 16" or shorter bbl with carbine gas system, I don't know how that will work out.

Buffer tube length, spring length and tension, buffer weight, BCG weight, gas port size and gas system length all tie in together to the timing.  Mismatch any one of these components and you can end up with a squirrely unreliable system.

Like title says--am gonna start building AR, keeping with my buying plan. Looking for opinions on which buffer to get, and also terminology. Is an A2 buffer and a six position buffer the same as a rifle length buffer?

Negative.  Rifle length buffers are much heavier and longer than the standard carbine or heavy buffer.  If you're planning on running an A2 stock, get an A2 hardware kit (such as this) and call it a day.  You won't have to match springs, buffers, and extensions.

What is the length of the barrel and the gas system you plan on using in the build? If you are going to use a barrel 18" or longer with a mid or rifle length gas system you should be okay with an A2 buffer and tube. If you are going with a 16" or shorter bbl with carbine gas system, I don't know how that will work out.

Buffer tube length, spring length and tension, buffer weight, BCG weight, gas port size and gas system length all tie in together to the timing. Mismatch any one of these components and you can end up with a squirrely unreliable system.

My 16" carbine system loved an a2 stock and buffer

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I am thinking of the Magpul MOE Rifle stock. Whilst I have some attentions, anyone have recco for a complete upper in 20" bbl, preferably w/ target crown, rather than playing the muzzle device game?  Rifle will be for range & whatever NRA competitions I can make at CJRPC.

If NRA competition is in your future, check each discipline's rule book carefully, some are very specific about rifle configurations including muzzle.  CMP National Match Course is one that comes to mind. Some clubs allow leeway others do not.