AlDente67

What does this mean?

Posted elsewhere:

"I bought this for my wife. She has small hands and it fits her hands very nicely. It is light and has a short not too stiff throw on the upper receiver charge. The draw back there is a that it stove pipes if you limp wrist it, its a trade off on the buffer spring strength. An hour at the range and I took the limp wrist out of my wife's shooting, no issues.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/px4-storm-compact/

"

Does that sound normal?

Posted elsewhere:

"I bought this for my wife. She has small hands and it fits her hands very nicely. It is light and has a short not too stiff throw on the upper receiver charge. The draw back there is a that it stove pipes if you limp wrist it, its a trade off on the buffer spring strength. An hour at the range and I took the limp wrist out of my wife's shooting, no issues.

"

Does that sound normal?

Limpwristing can cause feeding and extraction issues.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This statement doesn't make any sense to me: "has a short not too stiff throw on the upper receiver charge"

But it sounds like the person is describing the recoil impulse.

Yeah that part left me.confused as to what he was trying to describe

I thought it was ejection issues. Stovepipes and such.

Usually. Seen my girlfriend shoot for the first time. She had a weapon out of battery abd one time the slide came all the way forward but didn't strip the next round off the mag. Go figure.

Posted elsewhere:

"

Does that sound normal?

Your wife is a better man than I am. My PX4 stovepipes every 3rd or 4th round and I am no limp-wrist.

Fish around various forums and you'll see this is not an uncommon problem. One poster claims it comes from the factory with some sort of gunk on it, and performance improves "quite a bit" after a deep cleaning. I'm taking mine for a deep ultrasonic cleaning next time I'm near Mastodon. If that doesn't solve the problem I'm sending it back to Beretta.

It looked lubed enough when I first acquired it so I figured it was good to go. Never heard of a gun that needed a "deep cleaning" out of the box.

So what you're sayin' is that there's still folks on the forum that will buy a brand-new gun and run it dirty w/ packin' grease on the rails and then scratch their heads why it gives them fits w/ malfunctions???

Amateurs, lol

So what you're sayin' is that there's still folks on the forum that will buy a brand-new gun and run it dirty w/ packin' grease on the rails and then scratch their heads why it gives them fits w/ malfunctions???

Amateurs, lol

That was taken from a car forum, not a gun forum, FWIW.

Every time I buy a new gun, it gets a thorough cleaning with brake cleaner before the first round goes down the barrel.  It breaks down any gunk and cleans it out really well using the little red straw that goes in the nozzle.  After the brake cleaner, I soak the deep down parts good with PB silicone lube through the straw in the nozzle and finish off with CLP or a similar gun lube on the rails, trigger mechanism, recoil spring, etc.  I watched my father do this for years (he used Rem-Oil) and I've carried the practice into my own adulthood. 

When my wife got her Shield a few weeks ago, she wanted to take it straight to the range...so we did, against my protests.  She commented on how "gritty" the trigger was and complained that it kept stovepiping.  She shot two boxes of ammo and then we went home and I cleaned it like mentioned above.  Took it to the range the next weekend and it ran flawlessly with a nice smooth trigger.  As a matter of fact, she used it yesterday to qualify for her CHL and shot a 246 out of a possible 250.

Amateurs, lol

Amateur yes. 

But never had problems with several other semi-autos.

Significant edit: To be honest nobody told me I had to clean a new, modern semi-auto out of the box. Never read it or saw it anywhere. Mosins, ok :)

Smokin' .50, not everyone's gun can run on Crisco!

LOL, now THAT'S FUNNY!  FWIW I haven't used Crisco in YEARS.  Switched-over to Bore Butter and BB w/ Bee's wax for summer.  Doesn't run like Crisco snot and get all over everything!

I LOVE Black Powder, but I still shoot modern guns too, lol.  I just de-grease them first, similar in fact to magnawing above^^^^^

This is no lie! When I got my new px4 Storm mid length, I went to the the range and it failed to feed on every single round! I showed it to a gunsmith at the range and he asked to see the

ammo I was using. I showed him and he chuckled and told me I can't use .40 S&W in a 9mm pistol! Turns out I was shooting my Sig .40 cal first and grabbed the wrong ammo when I

went to shoot the Beretta 9mm!  Damn ammo fit in the magazine no problem.

Man did I feel stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is no lie! When I got my new px4 Storm mid length, I went to the the range and it stovepiped every single round! I showed it to a gunsmith at the range and he asked to see the

ammo I was using. I showed him and he chuckled and told me I can't use .40 S&W in a 9mm pistol! Turns out I was shooting my Sig .40 cal first and grabbed the wrong ammo when I

went to shoot the Beretta 9mm! Damn ammo fit in the magazine no problem.

Wut...

Amateurs, lol

My Beretta Px4 was my first handgun - I didn't know to do a full clean when I bought it - I pretty much just took it to the range and started shooting.  Yep - stovepipes.  Was a bit discouraged at first, then took it home and did a full clean - no issues afterward.

This is no lie! When I got my new px4 Storm mid length, I went to the the range and it stovepiped every single round! I showed it to a gunsmith at the range and he asked to see the

went to shoot the Beretta 9mm! Damn ammo fit in the magazine no problem.

So, your 9mm pistol was stove piping when you shot 40 out of it? No lie?

Sent from an undisclosed location.

My Beretta Px4 was my first handgun - I didn't know to do a full clean when I bought it - I pretty much just took it to the range and started shooting.  Yep - stovepipes.  Was a bit discouraged at first, then took it home and did a full clean - no issues afterward.

^^^^^EXACTLY!!!!

But let's examine WHY that happened shall we?  Could it be that the FFL you bought the gun from could care less if you knew how to properly operate it out-of-the-box?  Or is it because, "Guys already think they KNOW everything" so we just gave-up trying to tell them what to do?  Or is it because it's more of a generational thing, with new shooters watching youtube videos and ordering guns mail-order to a local FFL for just the transfer?  And that local FFL doesn't wish to give service/advice for fear of losing the next transfer fee (because as we all know, Guys KNOW everything)?

Back in my day (in the last century), Mom and Pop storefronts made sure you could field strip and clean a gun or the sale wasn't complete.  Also most new shooters were introduced to shooting by a friend who already was an accomplished shooter and showed them how to field strip and clean as well as shoot the gun.  Now it's all about the needless redundant paperwork such as asking a 75 year old to sign a form saying he won't let his kids touch it w/o the guns' owner present, etc., etc.  So the FOCUS of the transaction has shifted from how to shoot and clean the POS to which forms to sign and on what line.....

P.S.:  I always get a kick out of seeing gun shop clerks asking 75 year old disabled Vets to sign the Hunting License form to swear that they don't owe any child support, lol!

Just my random thoughts.......

This statement doesn't make any sense to me: "has a short not too stiff throw on the upper receiver charge"

But it sounds like the person is describing the recoil impulse.

I think he's trying to describe how the slide is easy to rack.

^^^^^EXACTLY!!!!

But let's examine WHY that happened shall we?  Could it be that the FFL you bought the gun from could care less if you knew how to properly operate it out-of-the-box?  Or is it because, "Guys already think they KNOW everything" so we just gave-up trying to tell them what to do?  Or is it because it's more of a generational thing, with new shooters watching youtube videos and ordering guns mail-order to a local FFL for just the transfer?  And that local FFL doesn't wish to give service/advice for fear of losing the next transfer fee (because as we all know, Guys KNOW everything)?

Back in my day (in the last century), Mom and Pop storefronts made sure you could field strip and clean a gun or the sale wasn't complete.  Also most new shooters were introduced to shooting by a friend who already was an accomplished shooter and showed them how to field strip and clean as well as shoot the gun.  Now it's all about the needless redundant paperwork such as asking a 75 year old to sign a form saying he won't let his kids touch it w/o the guns' owner present, etc., etc.  So the FOCUS of the transaction has shifted from how to shoot and clean the POS to which forms to sign and on what line.....

P.S.:  I always get a kick out of seeing gun shop clerks asking 75 year old disabled Vets to sign the Hunting License form to swear that they don't owe any child support, lol!

Just my random thoughts.......

I can't think of any other product that requires a full service before using it. It's not obvious, it's not universal even with guns, and in all the articles I've read and videos I've watched I never heard of this. If these guns were known to have that problem the manufacturer could have included a card that reads "Failure to clean this firearm before initial use will result in failures to eject."

I can't think of any other product that requires a full service before using it.

Actually, most small engine equipped "appliances" that are still in the box require service, add oil, etc.  It's just that society is so stupid and doesn't RTFM that we have everything done for us by Doofus McShane at Home Depot.  Frankly, I would rather assemble my equipment myself as I then have familiarity with it, AND I know it's assembled right and not missing one of the four screws in the snow blower handles...

I can't think of any other product that requires a full service before using it. It's not obvious, it's not universal even with guns, and in all the articles I've read and videos I've watched I never heard of this. If these guns were known to have that problem the manufacturer could have included a card that reads "Failure to clean this firearm before initial use will result in failures to eject."

I beg to differ Newtonian.  'Cept for some rare exceptions (I believe Kimber .45's may be one, and there are others), all guns need routine maintenance / cleaning prior to shooting the very first time.  Merely to remove the packing grease and fouling left-over from PROOF-Firing (so you don't make CEMENT by adding layers of fouling to the packing grease).  Especially semi-auto .22's with new, stiff springs to guard against a steady diet of CCI Stingers.  It's been that way since Cosmoline was invented.  Asking a Manufacturer to label it's product with a sign that says, "This won't work right if you don't clean me" is akin to printing on a McDonalds coffee cup, "DANGER---COFFEE MAY BE HOT AND BURN YOUR CROTCH"!  

I have a friend who had to have a top-of-the-line .38 Super Model 2011 Race Gun with a comp and dot sight.  He's a millionaire several times over, owns over 100 guns and had to have the most expensive model that STI made, so he ordered one through a local FFL.  These guns are VERY tight and require a break-in period to loosen them up and let friction shave some material from the slide and frame.  Without asking, he mail-orders a CASE of Winchester .38 Super in the white box.  Loads mags, fires gun, gun goes BANG but...gun NO cycle!  Slide doesn't even budge!  WHY you ask?  Because he didn't listen to the FFL who told him to buy .38 Super +P+ to break-in his new Race Gun.  Because the comp actually WORKS and does the job its' supposed to (blow hot gases needed to make action cycle upward immediately after round leaves barrel).  So he had to sell a CASE of .38 Super (or EAT IT) because he KNEW everything about guns.........

You'd be surprised to learn how much effort goes into writing and designing Instruction Manuals (for firearms) that never get read..... 

I've never had a single issue with my PX4 compact, actually this is the first i've heard of this. Even after a few rounds wouldn't you basically have removed most of oil/grease. All my Berettas didnt exactly come gouped up, it actually seemed like they had just some standard oil on them.

went to shoot the Beretta 9mm!  Damn ammo fit in the magazine no problem.

I dont even.... how? put into perspective, a 9mm case glides into a 40case pretty snug but , how did it even chamber?

I've never had a single issue with my PX4 compact, actually this is the first i've heard of this. Even after a few rounds wouldn't you basically have removed most of oil/grease. All my Berettas didnt exactly come gouped up, it actually seemed like they had just some standard oil on them.

Same here, i have the PX4 in full size and subcompact 40 s&w. Never had a stovepipe in either one of them and i have a few hundred through the sub and thousands through the full size. Only failures i have had are due to some of my reloads. A few high primers and one squib.