Sign in to follow this  
mcm308

Auto side openers

Somethings been on my mind and that other thread got me going so here is a topic for discussion. Auto side openers. Law states something to the effect of explainable lawful reason. Ok... Any given day or time I have to deploy my knife one handed to slash open a bag of material that is slung under my other arm or for other reasons to cut something while I am already holding something with my other hand. A button sure would be nice for this purpose. I would only be carrying it while at work mostly and I dont think I would ever have a problem if I did. I see cops all the time in my daily travels with my knives hangin in a belt sheath or clipped in pocket but visible and I have never been asked about them nor have I ever heard of a cop asking to see a knife. My knives are not for self defense and I hardly ever carry one when I go out at night. They are tools for a job and the button can come in handy..real handy! Am I understanding the law correctly? That I can have one but it better be a good reason not be hangin on a street corner at night with it? Does anyone else carry one? Opinions? Maybe some LEO can chime in?

I really want the Benchmade Adamas auto but not sure I should invest in it.

And Im not talking about an OTF or anything like that. So lets not even get into those.

I have a benchmade (forgot the model) and a lone wolf Lobo automatic knife. I carried each one of them daily for years and never had a problem with them. I checked the benchmade in at the security check point at the empire state building once where I handed it to a NYPD officer, he never even looked twice at it. I was also "detained" at a hotel in Carlisle PA for lighting off fireworks and the officer took the knife when he patted me down. he gave it back to me and told me not to come out of my room for the rest of the night when he was done yelling at me. I don't think that needing to open a knife one handed to cut something is a justifiable need you could just carry a small fixed blade like I do now and you never need to open the blade. But if you don't do anything stupid enough to draw attention to you from the police you wont have a problem but piss off the wrong cop and your now a prohibited person its up to you if you want to risk it or not. If you really want to carry one check out the loan wolf diablo or Lobo, they are very discrete auto knives. In fact they work like a regular folder also so unless you already know how to operate the automatic feature its almost impossible to find.

I cant do a small fixed blade unless I was able to conceal it completely and that can be difficult for me. Something in a pouch on my belt is best. How I usually carry.

I agree with everything else you say though. Im 38, Im not a kid carrying a knife for no good reason.

for what its worth I carry a Bark River northstar EDC in a pocket sheath in my front right pocket completely concealed. it is small enough to conceal but large enough for almost any task. I have been carrying some sort of knife daily and using it for work for the last 18 years. a few years ago I switched from folders to fixed blades after an accident with a dirty knife that's lock failed and I chopped a large portion of my finger off when the blade closed on me. It took a little time to get used to it but now I will never carry a folder again. I prefer a small fixed blade.

I don't have any autos b/c I think flippers open just as fast...but if I did, I really like the idea of something like the Pro-Tech Harkins where the button is part of the inlay (http://www.protechknives.com/knives/switchblades/harkins-atac-knives.asp). Very discrete.