MidwestPX

Broke even tonight on my reloading setup

I sent about 1,000 on my reloading equipment. I am guessing I should brake even after loading my 500th .458 Socom. At $3.00 a rd and costing to make a round at $1 a rd, so I am saving $2 a rd.  The good thing is I am not even figuring out what i am saving on match grade .223. or even regular .223, 9mm, .45acp and .40s&w.

but if add my time to the total, i'm losing. .. lol 

On a progressive press, the return on my time is really quite good. It's only when I have to reload on a single stage press that I have to stop thinking about what my time is worth.

If you are reloading precision rounds custom made for your rifle's chamber that turn 2" groups into sub MOA groups, the return is immediate.  If you are shooting while everyone else is whining about no ammo on shelves, the return is immediate.  If reloading is a relaxing hobby, the return is immediate.

Reloading simply to save money is not the only (or even best) reason to reload, but it's still a good reason none the less.

I reload exclusively on a single stage, and I started casting recently too. I cast, powdercoat, and then size all of my 9mm pills, and soon to be 45 ACP. I may even start casting 30 carbine.

I like reloading. My 9mm and 45 ACP costs are about $2.50 a box.

Oh for sure, the cost difference is absolutely worth it. My 2 biggest reasons for reloading are availability, and cost. When you shoot 10,000rds a year you definitely notice the difference in cost.

Yep. Beltfeds, especially ones that get used in a rental capacity, rip through ammo at a stunning rate. I received 48lbs of H4895 in June. I had less than 10lbs remaining on Thursday when I received another 24 pounds. Reloading is worthwhile if you shoot a lot. Will I set up a toolhead for 6.5C? Absolutely not. I have a Rockchucker for that so just buying dies and bushings make the most sense.