MissionaryMike

Looking to join...

I'm looking for a really active club - one that frequently offers pistol/rifle/shotgun training and various types of competition: uspsa, steel, 3 gun, etc.  Again, the more active the better.  Reason being?  Everything [the little] I know about firearms is what I've gleaned from YouTube.  I mean, I'm thankful for YouTube, but I think it's about time I search out a community that I interact with about firearms and firearms training.  I know I have so much to learn.  And honestly, I want friends that like guns, dammit!   If they're within an hour of Parsippany, that would icing.

Thanks,

MM

Take a look at Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol club. www.obrpc.org  they have a really nice setup, the club will get you involved with a lot of matches. Great people.

Indoor range is 24hour access. outdoor range is normal day light hours for the most part. 100, 50, yard rifle, 25yard pistol and shot gun area. 

For the best bang for your buck take a look at EFGA. $60/year +$30/year for a guest pass. About 1.25 hours from Parsippany. Outdoor range, no time limits (unless it's packed which it never is) and as long as you follow the rules, nobody bothers you. They host IDPA matches every now and then but no training that I know of. Just throwing it out there if you are on a budget. I also recommend Woodland Park Range (Gun for Hire) and RTSP but they are considerably more expensive to join.

GFH and RTSP are both great options that aren't far from Parsippany.  They're more expensive and indoor-only, but definitely worth it if you go to the range more than twice a month.

GFH is great with a membership, since you have access to a huge rental list.

I've probably called RTSP a dozen times already just to ask stupid questions about NJ specific stuff, and they're always courteous and patient to answer.  Both RTSP and GFH possess convenience of proximity.

Old Bridge is probably the most active in multiple shooting disciplines. They have something going on almost every weekend and you'll always find helpful and friendly people there.

Friendly and helpful is exactly what I'm looking for.

I've heard good things about both Old Bridge and Shongum as far ss matches are concerned but if you're that new I'd recommend taking a class or 2. Basic pistol from GFH might be too basic but their Urban pistol/carbine/shotgun classes are a great way to test your gear and increase your firearm handling skills.

They don't. Just clubs are being squeezed out of the areas they are in.  Takes a lot to build up an safe zone area and survive. Not to mention insurance, maintenance, etc.  They are not the hole in the wall shooting pits they once were.  Put your name on Shongum's list, cost you nothing and gives you a year to make up your mind ($380 for the first year).  A few very small clubs just over the Delaware, real cheap, but you would have to research each one. Some are pretty decent but all outdoors.

They don't. Just clubs are being squeezed out of the areas they are in.  Takes a lot to build up an safe zone area and survive. Not to mention insurance, maintenance, etc.  They are not the hole in the wall shooting pits they once were.  Put your name on Shongum's list, cost you nothing and gives you a year to make up your mind ($380 for the first year).  A few very small clubs just over the Delaware, real cheap, but you would have to research each one. Some are pretty decent but all outdoors.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head!  Instead of letting a parcel of land up for sale (directly adjacent to our parking lot and property line) be gobbled-up by a Developer, we bought the parcel so no one could clear the pine trees and build houses on our buffer!  

Yes it does cost money to maintain, upgrade and insure TWO Ranges! 

Unless I've misread something, looks like Old Bridge costs new members over $600 for the first year.  That's kinda rich.  And Shongum has over a year waiting list?  I didn't know NJ loved its shooting sports so much.  

"Kinda Rich" indeed!  I have friends who spend $2,500 a year for membership at a single indoor range (and they get a TON of free benefits thrown-in).  So putting things into perspective is always a smart idea.

My recommendation is to come to Old Bridge and shoot a few League Matches as a Non-Member (yes, the public can shoot at our Leagues!) by simply paying the Non-Member rate of $20 per match (some Matches require membership in USPSA and/or IDPA organizations in order to be allowed to participate).  So try a Steel Match or High Power Rifle or Bullseye or Black Powder, or Shotgun, etc., etc., to see if you like the facility and our people.  That's all it will take, and suddenly the $300 Initiation Fee (payable in two lumps sums of $150 each at joining and becoming a full member 6 months later) doesn't look so bad considering all that you get!  From that point on, I look at it as costing the Newbie a dollar a day in annual dues to be a member and receive FREE LESSONS AND MENTORING by nationally-ranked competitors that are Experts in their respective shooting disciplines (myself included).  Considering a typical NRA Basic Pistol Course costs around $200 and teaches NOTHING about shooting competitively, the annual dues pales in comparison IMHO.  Your mileage may vary, but you get outta a membership what you put into it......

Hope to see you at one of our TWO Ranges!

Dave

OBRPC PPC League Chair and Match Director

50, i went to a rimfire match lat month there. thought the place was cool, still have some questions but i can ask at a later time. the one i couldn't find on the site is guests. whats the rule about bringing them?

Family (wife and kids, parents, etc.) aren't considered "Guests", so they can accompany you as many times as they wish to.

Guests (folks that aren't related to you) can come (3) times in any calendar year, and no more than (3) Guests at a time.  You don't shoot while your Guest shoots---YOU R-O your Guests!  While you shoot, they WATCH, they don't handle firearms.

Read and obey the signs regarding Guests that are posted at the ranges.  If you have a question, ask another member for help.  If you have to visit the Porta-John, call your line safe, flag the chambers and instruct everyone to NOT HANDLE any firearms in your absence (or ask a regular member to "babysit" for you).

If you bring a Guest to a League Match, follow the Match Director's Rules for his/her League (like you did when you showed-up for Rimfire Match).

Hope this helps!

Dave