Sign in to follow this  
fatty

PTR91 GI

Thought I'd share a pic of my new PTR91 GI (HK91 Clone), which is very fun but kinda expensive to shoot.  I highly recommend this rifle if you're in the market for a .308 that can eat steel cased ammo all day long.  Mine has a steady diet of Brown Bear 145gr .308

18" HK profile barrel w/ pinned HK muzzle brake (looks like a flash hider, but is closed/capped off at the end)

Fluted chamber

Standard GI model (non-railed version)

.308 / 7.62x51

Build date:  June/2015

20150731_123328_zpsu09ydf2f.jpg

Big thanks to JT @ JT Custom Guns (Forum vendor)

Nice! I've been looking at them for a while. Jack had one listed a while back with African wood furniture that looked really sweet.

It'll have to wait a while, I just brought home a Bushmaster and have a revolver that's been waiting a month to to be picked up.

The PTR is definitely worth it IMO.  It's built like a tank and has a good amount of weight to it - somewhere around 9lbs w/o a loaded mag.  A lot of people say they don't like the iron sights on this rifle, but it's growing on me and so far so good.

Tons of cheap surplus & US-made parts available online too.

Thanks Carcano

The metal SEF lower housing was purchased from HKparts.net.  I still have the poly navy lower housing, but I just keep it around as a backup.  Here's what my PTR91 looks like now after adding an HK wide handguard with a greek military surplus bipod:

20150819_124500_zpsub8rulme.jpg

The furniture color doesn't match 100%, but it's close enough for me not to care.  I love this rifle!  Hoping to add a vortex strike eagle 1-6 once it's back available

Yep, that's a great site for HK parts/components. The owner Adam (hkparts.net) is a great guy.

I have a VKE-91K, basically a clone of the G3KA4 with short barrel and Vortex 4-prong brake making it 16.5".

http://www.kellyenterprises.net/vector-arms-catalog/vke-91k-rifle-pkg-detail.html

They run $1,700 but they discounted it since no para stock for NJ. If you move to an NFA friendly state this is all ready for a registered pack...

Carcano that short barreled clone must be LOUD

It's EXTREMELY LOUD! Has a great muzzle flash at night, too.

The recoil is a little bit more than my PTR-91 (one of the early JLD ones) but is very manageable for such a short barrel considering it's 7.62/308.

Side note: I NEVER run commercial 308 Win in my rifles, it gets a steady diet of Mil. surplus. Chuck Malta from Kelly Enterprises told me to only run Mil NATO ammo and I've done just that, never had a FTF/FTE.

I gotta clean that next week it has a slight built up of corrosive salts from corrosive ammo I shot in March. I forgot about it until last night!

These are built on PTR receivers but also have the Vector Arms stamping, this gun is nearing 6K rounds not a single problem.

I'm heading to SJSC next week and I'll try and get a video/some pics of it on the line.