son of sam

Lawn lion issues

Here is the issue. Elderly friend of the family has been feeding cats. New ordinance passed in township and they are fining for every unregistered cat, as they should. This person has at least 50 cats that roam her yard and are absolutely disgusting. We caught and had animal control pick up at least 16, rehomed another 6 or so. I think you guys probably know where this is going. Are lawn lions considered invasive species? If they were to be accidentally impacted with 20gr of lead would that constitute animal cruelty or disposal of invasive species? If they are caught and taken to the SPCA they charge $25ea for disposal, these people do not have the money to do that, if they stop feeding it is considered cruelty according to SPCA, if they continue what they are doing the problem will quickly get back to the point it is at and they will face fines of $100 each lion. They are located near and industrial are with a highway near (so its loud outside), 4ac to the rear that backs up to an unoccupied industrial area. Dont think that 450' from a building is possible. 

Aquila super colibre is on sale at my LGS. Sorry to be vague. Hope you understand the issue here. For hypothetical reasons, what would be the effective range of a Super Calibre out of a rifle on a lawn lion?

FYI one is only allowed to euthanize a domestic animal if it is your own in NJ. shooting another persons domestic animal unless it is in the process of attacking a person or another domestic animal is a criminal offence. Also there is guidelines in place that dictate that the animal must be shot with at least a 22lr out of a rifle and it has to be between the eyes towards the direction of the brain stem. So what I am getting at is if someone were to shoot a feral cat in there yard that did not belong to them they could be charged with animal cruelty and destruction of private property (domestic animals are property in NJ). Its the owners fault for not being responsible animal owners and they should be held accountable so let them continue and they will be taken to court. if they cant pay the town will and a lean will be placed on their home and it also cam be garnished from their tax return and even pay checks. 

FYI one is only allowed to euthanize a domestic animal if it is your own in NJ. shooting another persons domestic animal unless it is in the process of attacking a person or another domestic animal is a criminal offence. Also there is guidelines in place that dictate that the animal must be shot with at least a 22lr out of a rifle and it has to be between the eyes towards the direction of the brain stem. So what I am getting at is if someone were to shoot a feral cat in there yard that did not belong to them they could be charged with animal cruelty and destruction of private property (domestic animals are property in NJ). Its the owners fault for not being responsible animal owners and they should be held accountable so let them continue and they will be taken to court. if they cant pay the town will and a lean will be placed on their home and it also cam be garnished from their tax return and even pay checks. 

Thank you for the information. It is a shame that it will have to go that way. But, it sounds like to big of a risk on my part to try and help someone out of a bad situation. They do by the way realize they have done wrong and are trying to remedy the situation. Unfortunately the laws are going to keep them in the situation. 

1. stop feeding is animal cruelty

2. self euthanize is animal cruelty

3. Turning them over to SPCA (who will euthanize) is $25 per cat

4. Continuing behavior could be up to $100 per cat

Son of sam- no problem. I have dealt with these situations extensively as a former Animal control officer and Animal cruelty investigator. And I feel your pain a neighbor of mine had 20+ outdoor cats.  It is not animal cruelty for the owners to self euthanize if done according to the AVA guidelines but it is definitely frowned upon and if one goes wrong it can bring cruelty charges. Another really good option is to start searching for rescue groups to help. More than once when people were in this same situation I advised them to find a rescue group to help and a willing group stepped in to remove and adopt or euthanize, or vaccinate and alter and pay the town for the licenses fee to get the animals in to compliance. For what its worth though a $25 surrender fee to the SPCA is very cheap price. I cant even get a cat euthanized for that price. For the towns that I used to cover the price was 75.00 per cat. The company did not make any money off that. it cost us 50 bucks for the euthanasia and 25 for disposal fees. 

Feral cats are nothing like a domesticated house cat.

For the record, if you "let your cat outside" unsupervised to hunt and kill, as is its instinct, then you're the schmuck. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?_r=0

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2013/02/03/170851048/do-we-really-know-that-cats-kill-by-the-billions-not-so-fast

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cats-kill-more-one-billion-birds-each-year

If you also ensure that your cat is not fixed, on top of letting it out unsupervised, you're part of the problem and not the solution too.

Before you go all nutso on me, riddle me this:

http://brainblogger.com/2015/07/21/cats-and-mental-illness-the-role-of-toxoplasma-gondii/

http://www.foodworldnews.com/articles/28676/20150727/studies-showed-that-cats-are-linked-to-having-schizophrenia.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cat-parasite-toxoplasma-gondii-linked-to-mental-illness-schizophrenia/

Consider too that most shelters are packed to the gills with felines.  The shelters can't give them away fast enough.  Felines are not the problem, humans who don't control their cats ARE.

For those who are responsible cat owners, I applaud you.  In the meantime we have crazy aunt Gert here with her 20, 30, 40! unfixed cats, overflowing litter boxes, and no food for her because she struggles to buy enough cat food to feed her brood.

Djg0770- don't forget about the fact that they are almost always unvaccinated so a colony can spread rabies, distemper,parvo, and feline aids/ lukeimia very quickly. Creating a big health concern for all neighbors exposed to them

Buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F1R0GC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It works.   I've been using it for dogs and the bears.   The bears now skirt the paths at the house, preferring not to get hit.

Buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F1R0GC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It works.   I've been using it for dogs and the bears.   The bears now skirt the paths at the house, preferring not to get hit.

Great. Now Sen. Sweeney will those on his lawn in no time.

On a serious note, those Super Calibre out of a 10/22 are are quiet as fingers snapping, but I don't think you'd be making the right choice with that round even if legal. These non lethal deterrents seem like a good idea.

The best of several rotten alternatives is to stop feeding them and hope they disperse.

Umm definitely not. That is animal cruelty. Failing to provide food, water and shelter for a domestic animal you own is text book animal cruelty and is a criminal charge. Not really a good idea to suggest someone commit animal cruelty. . Just stop feeding your animal and hope it goes away? where do you think the cats are going to go? They are going to go and causes problems for someone else or possibly starve to death. Very very poor advice!

Umm definitely not. That is animal cruelty. Failing to provide food, water and shelter for a domestic animal you own is text book animal cruelty and is a criminal charge. Not really a good idea to suggest someone commit animal cruelty. . Just stop feeding your animal and hope it goes away? where do you think the cats are going to go? They are going to go and causes problems for someone else or possibly starve to death. Very very poor advice!

Sorry I thought these were feral or semi-feral. "Has been feeding cats" and "roaming her yard" doesn't sound like they're house cats, which would be an entirely different story, sortof. 

Does a cat become yours the minute you feed it? After a week? Was the bear who ate my neighbor's garbage 3 years ago now their responsibility? 

Animals in their natural habitats die all the time. It's called nature. We slaughter billions of sentient creatures every year for food. That bacon you ate this morning didn't fall from a tree. The universe will not cease its entropic course if some of those fifty cats die of starvation and the others live a few years short of their house-bound life span.

A hundred wonderful people formerly full of life, parents friends cousins spouses buddies grandpas, died last night within an hour's drive of people reading this. I couldn't care less about those 50 cats. Call it what you will. Apply any legalism you want to it.

Well the law in NJ is if you feed or provide shelter for cats for 3 days or more it is now considered your property and you are responsible for it. Domestic house cats outside are not in their natural environment they are a product of people selectively breeding them to domesticate them. were not talking about mountain lions or bobcats here. I don't care what your feelings about the cats are the fact of the matter is you suggested that someone commit animal cruelty which was a stupid suggestion. I have no problem with the cats being properly euthanized, hell I have personally euthanized hundreds my self. But abandoning an animal that you cared for is right up there with rape and child molestation in my opinion.  

Its irresponsible people who have the same mentality as you Newtonian that have caused the feral cat problem in this country as well as many other problems. People need to be held accountable for their actions.

Well the law in NJ is if you feed or provide shelter for cats for 3 days or more it is now considered your property and you are responsible for it.

Since when was NJ law a source of wisdom or moral guidance?

Get Rowdy Rodney Pied Piper Newtonian to lure those cats to to my hood and they'll be gone by the end of the week. And we do have semi-stray cats around here from a nearby farm but they are low in numbers and we leave them be. I think I'll be able to tell the difference when those show up.

Oh boy another useless comment from the peanut gallery, hey mipafox I'm still waiting for your proof that eastern mountian lions are alive and roaming NJ

Show me that supposed claim so I can clarify it for you in language you can understand.

And show me your demand of proof from me you are waiting on.

Then show me WTF that personal attack has to do with this thread.

I cant figure out how to quote it but I asked for proof in the "mountain lion spotted in carneys point thread", last page on june 18 @4:29pm I asked for your supposed proof. Then I asked for it again on June 23 at 4:20pm. You admittedly make useless strange comments quite often so no personal attack here just pointing out my observation that your post had nothing to do with this thread.

I should make a few things clear. I dont live near the person, this is a client of my wifes, she is a behavioral therapist. We are involved to help the client and in some way the cats. I dont in any way condone animal cruelty, I do 100% back providing for and being responsible for your own animals. This elderly couple has no way to do either and they thought that they were doing good in the initial onslaught of the situation. We had a similar issue in our neighborhood a few years ago. We trapped about a dozen cats and Atlantic County animal control took them. It is a shame the way the laws are regarding these animals. A 22 to the head and then becoming fertilizer would be far less cruel then being trapped,

stored,then jabbed and burned. I dont like the way the laws are written regarding this type of an infestation, however I will follow them. 

According to the SPCA- They are your cats even if all you have done is leave the garbage available to them for an extended period of time. So if you have a *&%^ investigator you could be charged with animal cruelty for doing nothing more than deciding to install lida on your garbage cans.

I am going to look for a rescue group to maybe step in and help out, either by taking the cats or by paying the fees.