Jfoster99

Traveling with 15-20 handguns

So I would like to move some of my collection from NJ down to my FL residence.

I will be driving down in Oct so this would be a great opportunity to move the collection in one shot.

I realize I am protected under FOPA but realistically what can I expect if I get pulled over in say Maryland... I'm thinking they are not going to just send me on my way... I read somewhere if you have a ccw it shows up on their system.... If the guns are getting confiscated till everything is "verified" or I'm getting held till things are sorted out in the morning then I need another option. I'm not in a Uhaul. I have everything I need down there already. It will be just me a few snapples and a trunk load of handguns and ammo.

Mail a crate of guns to myself?

Pack two suitcases of guns for my next flight?

Bring the P2P copies to show ownership/years of purchase?

The only thing I feel comfortable with is taking one or two down each trip but that will take a very long time.

If I were you I would just pack them all up unloaded in proper cases place them in boxes or another container so they are not in plain sight and then drive the speed limit all the way down. How often do you get searched when you get pulled over? For me I just talk with the cop and get a warning or a ticket and then I am on my way. I have not been searched since I way a kid driving around in a lowrider and mouthing off to the cops when I got pulled over

In Maryland (Maybe other states) the CCW permits show up on computer and triggers a conversation about firearms.?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/30/gun-owners-fear-maryland-cops-target-them-for-traf/?page=all

It if is just me I might just hope for the best and go with the odds but not of my wife decides to drive with me. I was hoping for a better option...

If you feel traveling in MD is a problem, you can avoid the I-95 corridor by going down Route 81 (only 12 miles in MD) or the Delmarva Peninsula (only 25 Miles).  I know this doesn't avoid MD, maybe just less of a chance getting stopped.  My BIL when he left last September just packed them up and went down I-81 no problems.  In fact he buried his long guns in the shipping container and sent them that way, against the shipper's policy. Nobody knew nothing.

Take 81 and bypass DC as well. Stay west. If it looks like it costs an hour on paper it might save an hour if traffic is bad. And what's an hour in the grand scheme of a trip to Florida? You are talking about a whole lot of handguns and I think it is worth it to avoid any nonsense.

I talk 81 all the time. There are even people that pack up their guns at the same exits in PA and everybody arms up at the rest stop in WV.

BTW, on the way back (if you PA carry), do NOT take the first PA exit to arm up. It goes to MD :) Wait for the Welcome Center.

Those days are over.

"Where you headed?" "Is this your current address"

Due to Salinas vs Texas and Berghuis v. Thompkins you have a decision to make. Either you say, "I am invoking my Fifth Amendment Rights" and say "Lawyer" 3x and click your heels, as soon as you see a cop, or you waive your Fifth Amendment rights and any refusal to answer a question is a component of RAS or PC. Remaining silent is not enough, and answering "Yes" to "Is this your current address?" means refusal to answer any further questions or subsequently invoking your right is legally suspicious.

I absolutely concur with taking I-81.  I've done it several times and have yet to see a patrol car. You'll spend only 10 minutes in MD (as opposed to 1hr+). Remember that the I-95 corridor has several highly critical assets in MD (the tunnels) that need to be protected... hence the extra presence of the MTAP with ALPR cameras.  There are no such assets on the I-81 side. There's Haggerstown Airport, but that's not a big deal.  Just beware that the speed limit reduces to 60 in the middle of that MD stretch, but returns to 65 at each end.

In fact, you'll find more patrol cars in Virginia than anywhere else along that route. :)

Why?  Officer, I am traveling with my legally acquired and owned firearms collection between from my house in NJ and my house in Florida.  

What can they charge you with if they gun are appropriately stored?  I don't get it, criminals worry a whole lot less than legal firearms owners.  

I am going to drive down a portion of my collection in august.  Each gun is in a box, the original it was purchased, stacked in a locking tool style box.  I drive straight through because I am in Northern Florida but in no way am I committing a crime by driving through any state between my two current homes.  

US Code 926A

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Not that it would be polite you could possibly just tell the cop nothing (or screw though I wouldn't) if they search you and bust you over this call a lawyer, post bail and enjoy the illegal arrest prosecution.  You may even get a the NRA represent you in a case like this.  Overzealous policing of legal firearms owner--it would be a great story.

I drove two firearms down a week and a half ago and went right around the belt at DC.  

I made a similar trip through 10 states, going 2500 miles, with 40+ firearms and a boatload of cash. No issues. Just bury them deep in your stuff. No one will be the wiser. I don't think the Popo has gun sniffing canines yet.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Why? Officer, I am traveling with my legally acquired and owned firearms collection between from my house in NJ and my house in Florida.

What can they charge you with if they gun are appropriately stored?

Well, they can do a few things. You are breaking MD law.

They can throw you in jail and confiscate all 15-20 of your guns. They can never give them back if that's what they like (revell, etc.). They will probably release you from jail the first time you talk to a judge a few days later and exert an FOPA defense. But the courts show us they have no reason to do that. One guy was in jail for 3 months. He sued in federal court, and lost because a cop is not expected to know FOPA and not expected to take your word for it. He never got any of his guns back either. I don't think anybody has ever won a lawsuit over FOPA but I would be happy to be corrected.

NY refused to recognize FOPA for a long time, as far as I know they still do but I am not sure.

Well, they can do a few things. You are breaking MD law.

They can throw you in jail and confiscate all 15-20 of your guns. They can never give them back if that's what they like (revell, etc.). They will probably release you from jail the first time you talk to a judge a few days later and exert an FOPA defense. But the courts show us they have no reason to do that. One guy was in jail for 3 months. He sued in federal court, and lost because a cop is not expected to know FOPA and not expected to take your word for it. He never got any of his guns back either. I don't think anybody has ever won a lawsuit over FOPA but I would be happy to be corrected.

NY refused to recognize FOPA for a long time, as far as I know they still do but I am not sure.

Print it off Wikipedia.  Can you forward some links to the actual case?  I'd like to see what issues they dealt with before I make another trip with some of my guns.  What if I packed them in cases and flew down with them as checked luggage?  I know there are procedures for that and perhaps it's safer.

Be careful and know the laws in each and every state you drive through.  I have a friend who was arrested in NY a few years ago because he had three long guns in his trunk.  The way he explained it to me there is (or was) some law in NY that more than two represents an arsenal.  He ultimately won as it was ruled an illegal search, but if it had been legal he might still be in jail.

I drove to FL once in Feb and twice in Mar as I moved down here. First time took a few handguns. 2nd time in a U Haul van had more than 10 handguns and 8 long guns. 3rd time in my truck with a long gun or 2 and a couple handguns. 

Right down 95. Never a problem. Even brought my carry piece with me both times going north. 

Maybe. Maybe if you have a FL plate on your vehicle, it might show up as in the one case we all know about, maybe not.

I've had a FL CCW since '09. Drove past MD Troopers every time I came out of the tunnel as well as on the Turnpike. No one came chasing after me.

Also drove down and back in '11 and never got chased by MD Troopers looking for people with FL CCW.

Pack them the way you should, drive responsibly, keep your speed with the flow of traffic and don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine.

Remaining silent is not enough, and answering "Yes" to "Is this your current address?" means refusal to answer any further questions or subsequently invoking your right is legally suspicious. 

Mipafox, can you elaborate on this? Do you mean it's legally suspicious to answer some questions before choosing to invoke the 5th?