checko

Question about discharge ordinances.

So I just put an offer in on a house in Independence Twsp ('Murica) and it was accepted. I poked around their local ordinances for a firearm or discharge law. I couldn't find anything in there so I should be good to go to shoot on my own property (safely of course). I know there are certain rules for hunting within a certain distance of occupied structures but does that only apply to hunting? After closing I'll have 1.4 acres that backs up to nothing but a couple miles of woods. Is there any state laws or anything I should know about?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So I just put an offer in on a house in Independence Twsp ('Murica) and it was accepted. I poked around their local ordinances for a firearm or discharge law. I couldn't find anything in there so I should be good to go to shoot on my own property (safely of course). I know there are certain rules for hunting within a certain distance of occupied structures but does that only apply to hunting? After closing I'll have 1.4 acres that backs up to nothing but a couple miles of woods. Is there any state laws or anything I should know about?

If that's the one in Warren County, you made the right choice. I just sold my townhouse there. But while there, I had absiolutely no trouble dealing with the PD. They were wonderful. My initial FID and 2 P2Ps were returned within 23 calendar days. Subsequent P2Ps were returned in 16 calendar days.

I don't know about hunting regs or discharge laws (I never discharged there) :) , but the key is not being within listening distance of your neighbors.  Even if it is legal, if you're neighbors hear shots, rest assured they *will* be calling the PD.

If that's the one in Warren County, you made the right choice. I just sold my townhouse there. But while there, I had absiolutely no trouble dealing with the PD. They were wonderful. My initial FID and 2 P2Ps were returned within 23 calendar days. Subsequent P2Ps were returned in 16 calendar days.

I don't know about hunting regs or discharge laws (I never discharged there) :) , but the key is not being within listening distance of your neighbors. Even if it is legal, if you're neighbors hear shots, rest assured they *will* be calling the PD.

That's good to know about the wait times.

The previous owners seemed to have guns and bows, from the targets I seen laying about so it shouldn't be a shock to the neighbors. Not that I care too much. If it's legal and safe on my property they're kinda beat

My town has discharge maps, if I'm getting the name of the maps right.  I'd expect most if not all towns to have them these days.   If you can't find them online, maybe stop by the station and talk to the officer in charge of firearms permits.  They should be able to tell you what the local ordinances are for discharge. Or show you the map if they have one.

And maybe your neighbors shoot too?  Ya never know.  Hope it works out.

Howdy, neighbor.  Welcome to semi-'murica.  As a point of reference, when I moved to B'town in '82, every weekend saw some type of blasting going on ( I live on 18 acres), then the development came to my street and those days ended, not that they had to but, for the sake of sanity in the 'hood.  During firearm hunting season it's expected and tolerated, other times not so much, depends on your neighbors and what your shooting.  My neighbors today range from, "Hey, can I join you?", to "Dial 911, somebody's shooting!" (Hate that ?itch) She called on me because i was openly "packin' heat" while on my own property ( i always do when in the woods by myself, given the wildlife that abounds.) That was an interesting turn of events. Safe it to say I had to school the PD on NJ law.

Shongum is in your back yard, maybe worth your time to check it out.  Put your name on the list, takes just over a year to get in, you'll have plenty of time to decide later.  I'm sure me or one of my fellow members could guest you on for a look around/tryout.  Of course organized shoots are always open to non-members.

like what?

There are some right across the Delaware along I-80.  But I always used Herritage Guild which is immediately across the Delaware along I-78.  You can get to it by taking NJ Rt. 57 (from Hackettstown) all the way to just shy of Phillipsburg. Turn left onto County Rt. 519.  Then left again onto US 22 South. Then onto I-78 at Exit 3 and across the Delaware. Get off at the first exit after you pass through the toll booth.  Takes less than 1hr.

I've hunted in Independence, I know they don't have a discharge ordinance for hunting - probably not for target shooting either, but you need to look into that. 1.4 acres is a little tight for shooting if your neighbors are on similar sized lots next to you, if they're far enough away you might get away with some pistol shooting if you have a safe backstop. 

Howdy, neighbor.  Welcome to semi-'murica.  As a point of reference, when I moved to B'town in '82, every weekend saw some type of blasting going on ( I live on 18 acres), then the development came to my street and those days ended, not that they had to but, for the sake of sanity in the 'hood.  During firearm hunting season it's expected and tolerated, other times not so much, depends on your neighbors and what your shooting.  My neighbors today range from, "Hey, can I join you?", to "Dial 911, somebody's shooting!" (Hate that ?itch) She called on me because i was openly "packin' heat" while on my own property ( i always do when in the woods by myself, given the wildlife that abounds.) That was an interesting turn of events. Safe it to say I had to school the PD on NJ law.

Shongum is in your back yard, maybe worth your time to check it out.  Put your name on the list, takes just over a year to get in, you'll have plenty of time to decide later.  I'm sure me or one of my fellow members could guest you on for a look around/tryout.  Of course organized shoots are always open to non-members.

I hunt in B town and hear people target shooting there all the time.

There is no state discharge ordinance.  If your town doesn't have one, there isn't one.

I don't know what your neighbor situation is but down here in rural south jersey, I'm shooting in my back yard most weekends when the weather's not too frigid or too hot (It's been a few weeks).  I hear shooting in all direction when everyone's getting ready for the various hunting seasons.  Hopefully, you've found a similar secret garden of freedom in this state.

When my mother lived there we had a 50-yard range out back.  She used to compete in SASS and Biathlon so we shot a lot.  The property backed up to state park land, never had an issue.  That part of NJ is as close to Free America as you can get in NJ.  Unless you're close to a development your neighbors probably won't care, or they'll join you.