Sign in to follow this  
mustang69

Anyone own a Novak 1911?

All,

I just agreed to buy a used Novak 1911 built on a Colt 1911A1 Series 70 platform.  Seems like an $800 handgun with $2,200 work done to it - barrel, slide fitment, trigger work, sights, grips, etc - the full package.  I've only dry-fired it and trigger seemed to be fantastic.  Price was too good to pass up, seller is a friend.  Are they worth the premium over a mid-level handgun like the S&W, Sig or Kimber?  Are they on par with the other high-end customs?

Thanks 

Novaks Custom Shop makes good stuff. I have never been disappointed in anything I have seen come out of there. Personally never owned one but would buy one if the price was right. IMHO they are worth the extra money you would pay over a mid level 1911 since you can get a true custom gun with exactly what you want and they will do it right. If its not right then most custom shops will do what it takes to make you happy.

If you gun was made by the late Joe Bonar then it is considered a collector's item in the 1911 community.

Does your 1911 have the "Answer" grip "non" safety installed? I always thought that was an interesting mod.

I don't know who the builder was but it's on a Series 70 platform so it's got some age to it.  The grip safety is a standard beaver-tail, not the "Answer" version.  I'm stuck in OGAM limbo until the end of the month but once I pick it up I'll call Novak and see if I can get any information on it.  I don't know what mods were done to it and I'd like to get a full list.  From what I could tell when I handled it the barrel, bushing, trigger, hammer and sights were all changed, it's had a trigger job and the slide has the Novak rollmark.  Comes in a Novak pouch with Novak mags.  Other than what I can see cosmetically it's a mystery.