I'm going to have some friends over, including a couple of teen friends of my kids, for an afternoon shooting.   I'm looking for ideas for exciting targets to shoot.

Watermelons are fun.  Paint cans from the dollar store are also fun.   I've got steel gongs.  They may not be as exciting as paint cans or watermelon but they do make a satisfying sound and movement when hit.

Tannerite is a blast (pun- sorry) but would attract attention.  I'm rural but not deep enough in the woods for tannerite to go unnoticed.

What other fun targets are there?   Anything else that's more exciting than putting holes in paper?

Dollar store shaving cream is always fun to shoot.  I also like one gallon containers filled with water.  There's also some pretty good game targets out there like golf and darts.  I have not tried ice blocks yet, it'd be fun to see a 6 x 6 ice cube shatter into a million pieces.

Edit:  Almost forgot.  Peeps.  I buy a few packs after Easter, or whenever whatever holiday has passed, when they go on sale for less than 1/2 price.  I really REALLY hate Peeps.

You can set off a very small amount of tannerite, down to about two ounces in a pill or vitamin jar. Especially if you wrap it in some duct tape or packing tape to ensure most of the product is detonated. It will sound a little different and be a little louder than some gunfire but I don't think anybody hearing the gunfire is going to distinguish it and call the cops if the gunfire didn't make them call the cops. There are now tiny purpose-built targets and I think Cabellas has them. Some can be set off by .22 and they are quite small. I think these are really some of the things you should look into for the best fun.

Quart water/milk containers filled with water turn into glass when hit with high velocity (.223 etc) varmint rounds like Varmint Grenades. Any ammo of that type will do, though. They don't just blow up like a gallon jug hit with a .308 SP, they shatter. It's pretty cool.

Get one or more of those target trees and reset targets (they are the best) like you can get at Cabellas. They have plastic ones from $25 or so, but I like steel, and you can get them under $50. It's an incredible value.

Don't forget the shotgun! Everybody loves to shoot trap, especially with a 20 gauge. Ideally, get a launcher and mount it to a wheel or something. But if that is too much money or trouble then get a $9 hand thrower. With two people taking turns on the thrower you can easily milk an hour of entertainment.

Good luck, and have fun! :)

I've done gallon milk jugs of water - that's fun.  I like the eggs idea.

Somebody on another forum recommended balloons.  Tie them side by side along a rope and try to hit them as they bob in the breeze.

I am trying to come up with a decent home-made clip to hang clay pigeons on a cable too.

I've got a clay trap and we shoot clays a few times a year.  It's probably going to be too much to fit into the afternoon though.

The suggestions are great.  Thanks.  Keep em' coming.

Take some scrap wood, 1x4, 2x4, whatever. Cut it into chunks and drill a hole for a wooden dowl. Drive the dowl in the ground with the chunk on top, make them various sizes and place them at different ranges. For an added challenge see who can shoot the dowl and cause the chunk to fall.