mikelets456

Cherry hill handgun permit and notary.

Hello,

My buddy in NJ used me as a reference on his handgun permit and they sent a letter that says it MUST be notarized. I thought that did not have to be done. Do I have to get a notary involved? Also, theres probably 10 plus questions that need answering, is thus typical?

Never been required to notarize a reference.  Questions sound normal though.

Stupid stuff like:

Is this person a habitual drunkard? I don't know

Criminal? You are the police, you should know that

What kind of person is he? American

Notify the ANJRPC. They are cracking down on delinquent towns.

Do this.  The state association is working hard to push back on this nonsense.

Hello,

My buddy in NJ used me as a reference on his handgun permit and they sent a letter that says it MUST be notarized. I thought that did not have to be done. Do I have to get a notary involved? Also, theres probably 10 plus questions that need answering, is thus typical?

to the best of my knowledge, no notary is necessary. cherry hill seems to like to add shit.

Tell them to go fuck themselves

They will get the point when they see my wiener stamp on the form.

Maybe they can use mine start a dick print database. I'll slap it on every tollbooth, turnstyle, handrail, doorknob, and handicap sign I pass whenever I am in Jersey.

As others have said, report this to ANJRPC. Then print out the below and enclose it with the questionnaire  when you return it...

This requirement is in direct contravention of 2C:58-3,f which states, in part: There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As others have said, report this to ANJRPC. Then print out the below and enclose it with the questionnaire when you return it...

This requirement is in direct contravention of 2C:58-3,f which states, in part: There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Been there. Done that. They don't care.

I was a reference and did just that. The applicant chose to have someone else fill it out.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Been there. Done that. They don't care.

I was a reference and did just that. The applicant chose to have someone else fill it out.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

But was that before or after the precedent setting court cases?

Copied from ANJRPC website:

ANJRPC's Permitting StrikeForce™ needs YOU! Although we have now moved into Phase 2, we still need to know about permitting abuses you may be suffering, as well as improvements in the permitting process that result from StrikeForce efforts. Please tell us about unauthorized conditions, delays, permit rationing, or any other violations, or improvements, in your town. Your identity will be protected, but your input will help us get the job done! Please email [email protected] or leave a message at (973) 697-9270. Please include as much detail as possible.

I was recently told of this happening in Cherry Hill and also a sit down interview asking why you want a gun etc. with the applicant in both Cherry Hill and Evesham.  ANJRPC are the people to contact.

I don't think the Notarization requirement of the Character Reference form in Cherry Hill falls under the prohibition of "extras" required by an Applicant.

The Applicant is not required to do anything beyond what the Statute allows, IMHO.  Listing all the family members in the household, however, DOES violate the statute. Especially requiring spousal approval of the application.

Requiring the Reference to have his signature notarized (done for free at many many bank branches) is the only means of verifying the Reference's identity short of him being required to present himself in person at the Cherry Hill PD to show his ID when submitting the Reference form.

Requiring the Reference to have his signature notarized (done for free at many many bank branches) is the only means of verifying the Reference's identity short of him being required to present himself in person at the Cherry Hill PD to show his ID when submitting the Reference form.

It is incumbent on the issuing PD to perform the background investigation. If they can't be satisfied with an signature that isn't notarized, then they can send an officer to the reference for a FTF - or call the reference on the phone. It is pure BS and a delay/discourage tactic.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I was recently told of this happening in Cherry Hill and also a sit down interview asking why you want a gun etc. with the applicant in both Cherry Hill and Evesham.  ANJRPC are the people to contact.

"Well, thanks for asking but neither NJ or Federal law require me to state why I want to purchase a firearm."

Pfft.  I contacted the ANJRPC regarding New Brunswick requiring additional forms or "releases".... I haven't heard a peep from them.

I got this non-answer back from ANJRPC when I advised them that I believed Manalapan was sending a questionnaire to employers.  Turns out, Manalapan only send confirmation of employment and ask zero questions. Which is good, but not the point.  My email to ANJRPC was to let them know a town was going beyond what they were permitted by law to do... and I thought this was a odd response.

Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs

In response to your "Contact Us" submission:

Good afternoon Kevin,

We are not lawyers and cannot answer legal queries but as a member of ANJRPC you have access to free legal advice from our attorney's on retainer. They would be your best bet for assistance on this. You can find them in your copy of News & Briefs.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you!

Membership

Thank you,

I wasn't looking for legal advice. I was advising them they we have an issue with FPID/P2P apps in a particular town.

The answer I was expecting was something like...... "Thanks, please provide us with a copy of the questionnaire and we will look into it as part of our Strike Force initiative."

So I'm not sure how much they are getting involved in this at this point.  Or maybe they just made a mistake with the reply.  Not sure.

It is incumbent on the issuing PD to perform the background investigation. If they can't be satisfied with an signature that isn't notarized, then they can send an officer to the reference for a FTF - or call the reference on the phone. It is pure BS and a delay/discourage tactic.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I agree Bob. I think, if the applicant's reference showed up at the CHPD with the questionnaire to sign in front of the investigating officer, he would be turned away to go get it notarized. This needs to be tested.

In light of the precedent setting court cases, what I would like to see tested is for someone to only complete the statutorily required documents, submit them and be denied because of the failure to complete the illegal additions. Then I would love to see that person file an "Official Misconduct" complaint with the county prosecutor. One of the litmus tests for a valid misconduct complaint is that the entity has to know that what they are doing is wrong - given the court cases and ANJRPC's statewide notification of PD's, I'd think you would have a pretty good chance of coming out on top.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

They won't approve or deny the application until the reference questionnaire is returned notarized, basically just sitting on it. Sent from an undisclosed location.

In which case you file the complaint

They won't approve or deny the application until the reference questionnaire is returned notarized, basically just sitting on it. Sent from an undisclosed location.

I thought they had 90 days to act or it automatically approved per statute. Or am I confusing this with a CCW permit?

I got this non-answer back from ANJRPC when I advised them that I believed Manalapan was sending a questionnaire to employers. Turns out, Manalapan only send confirmation of employment and ask zero questions. Which is good, but not the point. My email to ANJRPC was to let them know a town was going beyond what they were permitted by law to do... and I thought this was a odd response.

I wasn't looking for legal advice. I was advising them they we have an issue with FPID/P2P apps in a particular town.

The answer I was expecting was something like...... "Thanks, please provide us with a copy of the questionnaire and we will look into it as part of our Strike Force initiative."

So I'm not sure how much they are getting involved in this at this point. Or maybe they just made a mistake with the reply. Not sure.

Whoever answers the contact us section might not have connected the dots and forwarded it to the proper individual, or the respondent was suggesting you join as a sales pitch. Send it to the email in my post above. If you don't hear back I'd contact Scott Bach, and send an email to Anthony Colandro at gunforhireradio.com if you're a listener, and ask him "what gives?" Perhaps he can light a fire under the proper ass to get you an adequate response. If I was an ANJRPC member and my town was pulling crap, I'd expect an answer, and instruction on how to proceed.