Sign in to follow this  
Rob0115

Curious about shipping guns and ammo to myself

Two separate issues I'd guess but if I legally own firearms can I mail them to myself from one home to another? I know it would have to be FedEx but it seems easier than driving down.

Also. What's the rule on shipping ammo from one home to another, both my homes.

I don't see why fedexing firearms that I own for one address to another would be illegal but my intuition says it probably is.

From the ATF list of top 10 questions:

https://www.atf.gov/file/61721/download

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State? Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

I do believe that UPS and FEDEX have their own set of rules.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

Two separate issues I'd guess but if I legally own firearms can I mail them to myself from one home to another? I know it would have to be FedEx but it seems easier than driving down.

Also. What's the rule on shipping ammo from one home to another, both my homes.

I don't see why fedexing firearms that I own for one address to another would be illegal but my intuition says it probably is.

It's not illegal to ship either of those things to yourself.

Ammunition requires that it be sent ORM-D.

Fedex and UPS won't want to send a firearm to a non FFL.(when a non FFL is shipping it)

Federally, it is 100% completely legal to ship firearms to yourself.    The issue comes with notifying Fedex or UPS that you are shipping a firearm.   The law says that you are required to notify the carrier if you are shipping a firearm in commerce but you're not shipping it in commerce, you're shipping it to yourself. Just as you are not required to notify fedex or ups if you are shipping it back to the mfg for repair, you are not required to notify fedex or ups if you are shipping it to yourself.  They may have a rule against it, but you have no legal obligation to notify them.

I have received firearms via FedEx from FFLs that I had either repair or custom work done. So fedex seems to allow shipping to an individual.

I'll call them but I'd like to pack a few rifles up and ship them down to myself while I am back here in NJ.

I have received firearms via FedEx from FFLs that I had either repair or custom work done. So fedex seems to allow shipping to an individual.

I'll call them but I'd like to pack a few rifles up and ship them down to myself while I am back here in NJ.

Their policy is that it is coming from or going to an FFL it is ok.   Coming from you, not going to a licensee is where the issue will arise.

Their policy is that it is coming from or going to an FFL it is ok.   Coming from you, not going to a licensee is where the issue will arise.

You are correct. Looks like I'll travel with them. I'm going to put some in my checked bags. I'm working through that circle jerk right now out of Newark.

I would like to advise you to just put all guns, long and hand, in a brown box and FedEx or UPS Ground them to yourself, without telling them what is inside, but that would be like telling you to not follow the laws and/or rules. So carry on. :icon_e_wink:

Break them down and declare you're shipping "machined parts".  You're not lying on an insurance form.  Wanna really go nuts, make the slides and bolts in box #1 and the lowers in box #2.  If it can't go BANG AS IS, it's just "machined parts"...........

Where's my STAPLES button????????????

I would just drive it down. The hassle, costs, and potential risk of lost or misdelivery outweigh the reward to me depending on the amount of firearms and ammo you are transporting. You may also luck out on a one-way car rental deal as companies move their fleets down south for the winter.