Scorpio64

Buying a Non Compliant Upper.

PSA is having a decent sale on uppers right now but none of them are NJ compliant.  Most of them  have an A2 FH and bayo lug.  Can I buy it and have it shipped to my home where I'll do the compliance work or does this have to go through an FFL.  I know FFLs are usually associated with lowers but, hey, this is NJ.  Cant be too careful.

Then technically you have all the parts necessary to build a non-compliant rifle.

ETA - If you're one of those folks that likes to follow the rules and not do anything wrong and will lose sleep by the thought of having a non-compliant upper in your home, then don't do it. If you're like most people and plan on doing the compliant work immediately after you receive the upper and are not planning on posting on the internet that this is your intent, then...

I was over at the Oaks show yesterday. I aint never seen so dang many black rifles in one place at a time. Them confounded black rifles scare me with all them parts and clips that hold a hunderd bullets.I jest don't get it!

I did buy me a nlice used 410 jest like my Paw had when he was a yungin and a couple boxes of shells for my clay shootin! Gonna have me a reel good time with that old 410 and the best part is I dont fret no trouble with the law cous taint nobody a commin to take my old 410, theys only hankerin to get yall with them there crazy black guns! I use to have me a pistol a colt I think with a cobra snake on the side but I done dropped it in the creek huntin catfish. Twernt no way I was goin after it couse I cant swim worth a darn. Neveer did hit any cats with the danged thing. I spose it was jest ment for killin snakes anyhow. As I recalect, I done lost many a gun in that stupid creek and only ever got me a few catfish that way. Good eatin when you can get em. Enough with the funnin already! PM'd

And, of course, the most compliant way woukd be to ship it to an FFL who will do the compliance mods for you, then you take possesion...

Eric

Yeah...  I'd like to do this in a less costly, less time consuming, more DIY, while not breaking any retarded NJ laws kinda way.

I think I figured out a way around this constructive intent trap.  As long as I do not have a complete functional lower on hand I should be okay.  I will remove the fire control group from both lowers and have a friend sit on them until I complete the compliance work on the new upper.

Yeah...  I'd like to do this in a less costly, less time consuming, more DIY, while not breaking any retarded NJ laws kinda way.

I think I figured out a way around this constructive intent trap.  As long as I do not have a complete functional lower on hand I should be okay.  I will remove the fire control group from both lowers and have a friend sit on them until I complete the compliance work on the new upper.

IMO that works.

In all honestly, if you're going to build it right away, I wouldn't worry about it.  It's not like you're going to stick the upper in the same safe as your current AR. for a couple months.

If you don't plan on doing anything illegal with it, will never leave your house with it non-compliant, and your house isn't going to be raided soon due to something like a meth lab in your basement, then what's the issue?

I agree completely.  Some rules are so stupid that it hurts to follow them and sometimes you have to use common sense instead of following every rule.

But...I know a guy.

He had black rifles in his gun safe from pre-ban days.  His wife ended up in some sort of struggle with her father who has dementia.  Somebody got a restraining order against somebody - I don't know those details.   End result - Sheriff's officers show up to take all of his guns and open the safes.  25 guns were sent to NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit for inspection.  They determined that 3 were on the list or had too many evil features.  He has been holding his breath for 2 years waiting to see if he'll be formally charged.  Right now, his lawyer has advised him not to touch a gun until this is over.

I agree completely.  Some rules are so stupid that it hurts to follow them and sometimes you have to use common sense instead of following every rule.

But...I know a guy.

He had black rifles in his gun safe from pre-ban days.  His wife ended up in some sort of struggle with her father who has dementia.  Somebody got a restraining order against somebody - I don't know those details.   End result - Sheriff's officers show up to take all of his guns and open the safes.  25 guns were sent to NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit for inspection.  They determined that 3 were on the list or had too many evil features.  He has been holding his breath for 2 years waiting to see if he'll be formally charged.  Right now, his lawyer has advised him not to touch a gun until this is over.

Ryan,

The facts of the story of your friend's situation are interesting a make a good case as to how the PRNJ gun laws can screw you! However, I would venture a guess that the OP is not in a situation as you outlined above!!!

The story you tell I believe 100% because I know you personally and trust you. but the extenuating circumstances in your friend's case are most definitely not the norm and relating this story in this situation only serves to exacerbate the OP's obvious paranoia over such a trivial matter as replacing a muzzle device! I have seen many A2s on guns at NJ ranges! I bought an AR in NJ that had an A2 on it. I just got rid of it and replaced it with a brake! No harm, no foul!!!

The OP needs to do what he feels he needs to do! He can neuter every AR lower he has and give the fire control groups to a friend but If he is not in imminent danger of a police raid, I as others in this thread recommend he not make a big deal out of this and just change the birdcage to a brake and have it properly welded. No harm, no foul!

How many of us carry a rifle or shotgun in our trunk, unloaded but with ammo also in the trunk on a daily basis??? This is the right of every FPID holder in NJ but how many exercise this right? My FPID card states "Is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns"  And even if your FPID omits that statement, it is still your right! NJ just does not want to advertise that fact so they removed that verbiage from the newer FPID cards!

I am a law abiding citizen of the state of New Jersey and I obey all statutes and laws pertaining to guns and otherwise! I refuse however to succumb to total paranoia though! I let a combination of the law and plain old common sense guide me!!!

I should probably add that I'm leaning towards a 14.5" upper, so the upper is a triple threat.  NFA, bayo lug and FH.  Paranoid...no, overly cautious following the law to the letter, probably, the stakes are just too high.  I do not want to leave anything to chance.

How is it NFA? As long as a muzzle device is welded or soldered on to make it "non removable" and it reaches a total length of 16 you're good. Throw on a battlecomp, solder it. Take a dremel and some cold blue and lose the lug and you're good to go.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah, a lot of it is on forum talk which you have to take with a grain of salt, but I've read a lot of the cheap PTAC PSA stuff is garbage. I mean a full upper for 300 bucks? That's just too cheap. I guess it's good for an infrequent range gun but I can't see that lasting up to hard use, defensive classes, etc.

Yeah, a lot of it is on forum talk which you have to take with a grain of salt, but I've read a lot of the cheap PTAC PSA stuff is garbage. I mean a full upper for 300 bucks? That's just too cheap. I guess it's good for an infrequent range gun but I can't see that lasting up to hard use, defensive classes, etc.

Buy once, cry once and have it shipped to your FFL that will modify to make it NJ legal.

Buy once, cry once and have it shipped to your FFL that will modify to make it NJ legal.

I removed my bayonet lug with a Dremel and cold blued where I cut. I ground down the crush washer and set the muzzle brake perfectly!

I then took my upper to Winter's in Berlin NJ where he welded it on and charged me $75.00 + tax!  I can only imagine how much it would

have cost me for him to do everything!!!

Remove bayonet lug. $35.00

Blue where lug was.   $30.00

Remove A2 hider.      $25.00

Set and install Brake. $65.00

Weld Brake.               $75.00

Total                          $246.00 with tax! No way!!!!!  I learned my lesson!

Remove bayonet lug. $35.00

Blue where lug was.   $30.00

Remove A2 hider.      $25.00

Set and install Brake. $65.00

Weld Brake.               $75.00

Total                          $246.00 with tax! No way!!!!!  I learned my lesson!

REALLY?  To unscrew the FH and screw a brake on?!

Customers bring us Uppers for compliance work constantly.

PSA will also ship to me directly if your concerned.

My compliance pricing is as follows

Remove bayonet lug. $20.00

Blue where lug was.   $ Ummmm Included in above

Remove A2 hider.      $ Ill take money if you want but its free

Weld Brake.               $35.00

Set and install Brake. $  Part of the "Weld Brake" charge

Total $55.00 Seems like a bargain :)

Customers bring us Uppers for compliance work constantly.

PSA will also ship to me directly if your concerned.

My compliance pricing is as follows

Remove bayonet lug. $20.00

Blue where lug was. $ Ummmm Included in above

Remove A2 hider. $ Ill take money if you want but its free

Weld Brake. $35.00

Set and install Brake. $ Part of the "Weld Brake" charge

Total $55.00 Seems like a bargain :)

Sounds very fair to me, to not have to spend a Sat afternoon doing it myself.

Eric