lhrocker

Range membership - Cheery Ridge vs RTSP

I've been thinking of getting a membership to either Cherry Ridge OR RTSP. I try to get to the range at least twice a month, sometimes more. I've only been to RTSP since you don't need a membership to shoot there, but the membership is cheaper at CR.

Based on that fact, which range is better to join. I normally shoot both pistols and rifles a well as both rimfire and center fire.

Also, I normally just go on weekends since I don't get out of work until 7.

What do ya think.

Pistols - about even...... except you have to wait for range is cold to change targets

Rifles - Advantage CR - Let's be honest..... 25yds for a Centerfire rifle..... meh .   RTSP will have an outdoor range in Free America in the future..... but not anything in the near future.

Weather....    rain..... severe cold..... severe heat     - Advantage RTSP

I wont get into the range Nazi;s at CR ....... but lets just say, I gave up my membership after 2years, tired of getting attitude for stupid stuff....

RTSP - tons of courses, IDPA, USPSA, discounts for firearms and accessories to members..... 

Pistols - about even...... except you have to wait for range is cold to change targets

Rifles - Advantage CR - Let's be honest..... 25yds for a Centerfire rifle..... meh .   RTSP will have an outdoor range in Free America in the future..... but not anything in the near future.

Weather....    rain..... severe cold..... severe heat     - Advantage RTSP  I does get cold in the winter no doubt, but never crowded

I wont get into the range Nazi;s at CR ....... but lets just say, I gave up my membership after 2years, tired of getting attitude for stupid stuff....

There are NO Nazis if you are safe and Follow the rules which have keep the place safe for 50 years

RTSP - tons of courses, IDPA, USPSA, discounts for firearms and accessories to members..... Activities are good but they have different activities at CR

See above

If you can swing it, join both.  

RTSP is better for handguns, mostly for the ability to change targets whenever you want; and it's much better in bad weather.  

CR is great for rifles, and it's beautiful up there when the weather is nice.  BTW, the RO's at CR are not only civil, but nice to talk

with once you get to know them.  

You cant compare the two they are totally different especially if you shoot rifle.

Having said that RTSP is one of the only things that I miss from living in NJ. The ability to go after dinner or work on the weeknights is a great thing. Good times there for sure!

You are comparing apples to oranges.  If you really want to mix it up why not consider places like Shongum Sportsmen's association, Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol which have both outdoor and indoor facilities.  If you want just indoor pistol then RTSP is your best bet, but if you want rifle outdoors also you should consider the two I just mentioned.

I live in Sussex county so I prefer to stay in that area if possible. I would look into both if I could go enough to get my money's worth.

Too bad CR doesn't have a "try it first" as it's the closest to me.

You can "try it first"  You pay the $25 and I'll guest you in.

In case you didn't know...CR has 100, 200 and 300yd rifle  22lr plinking range to 50yd

Pistol range, trap and 5 stand range and archery range.  A club house for use by members.  And the club house has REAL shitters.

All for a little more than a couple of hundred bucks (really need to check out pricing)

I live in Sussex county so I prefer to stay in that area if possible. I would look into both if I could go enough to get my money's worth.

I will happily guest you in, shoot me a PM. I'm up there on Mondays as much as I can. Unfortunately it's not enough.

C

you dont need to pay just to look around but should prob be guested in as you need a key fob for the gate. the 100 yd range also has a 50 on it. Best deal going actually cheap, so much there. I think the nazi talk is a bit overblown, RO's are great maybe a few from the past got a little anzty on weekends during rush hr but I've never seen it but i go exclusively on weekdays- whole different range then(country club!). Yrs ago I got talked at when i grabbed a stapler off the cold bench but I got over it....I'll take the Great Outdoors anyday over a claustrophobic indoor range.

I belong to both. RTSP is close and I shoot a lot of handguns. I test fire rifles there I built. It's warm in the winter, and dry in the rain. But only 25 yard on range 1. Range 2 is 15 handgun only. Member with rifle is $425 for the year. And I get all the member discounts. The virtual simulator is awesome, as well as all the training courses offered. Members only on sat and sun from 8am-10am. Usually no lines. During the week members jump non members waiting for a port. They also offer gunsmith services on premises, and have a great selection of firearms in stock. The guys that work there will jump through hoops to make you happy. You get 5 guest passes per year with your membership.

CR is great for long range rifle and busting clays if that's your thing. They have a handgun and archery range as well. Membership is less than RTSP, but it's a longer ride for me. So I don't shoot there as often. The RO's have calmed down as well, but they still have specific rules about flagging open chambers. No big deal once you get used to it.

For Rifle: If your close to the PA border and don't mind a little drive get a PA public shooting range permit. $25 for a year and I think the closest one to Sussex Co is by Lake Wallenpaupak. The ranges are OK but you can't beat the price.

For Pistol I belong to RTSP for all the reasons previously mentioned plus only 15 minute drive for me.

CR is 235 first yr then only 175 there after. Take the couple hundred$ dif from RTSPmembership and apply it to some warm and cozy indoor winter time shooting. Also no clock ticking over your shoulder at CR, shoot all day! But the occasional matches/police shoots can be annoying.

My usual two cents' worth:

1. CR is far cheaper on an hourly basis

2. CR is in a beautiful location, beautiful scenery/campus

3. CR is more versatile: rifles, handguns, small-caliber range, shotgun, archery

4. CR is outdoors, so FAR less noise

5. CR range officers are decent and friendly. I've made a couple of real stupid beginner mistakes and they've been fine. If your feelings are hurt by an RO calling you for approaching your bench during a target change then please don't come to CR.

OTOH

1. You're shielded from the elements with an indoor range. However cold, rain, snow don't bother me. I'm less likely to go when it's 100 degrees than when it's 0 degrees. That's just me.

Thanx for all of the great info.  At CR, are weekends very busy?  Weekends are the only time I really get to the range, unless I'm on vacation?  Maybe I can call in sick on a regular basis.  :)

I don't think you'll ever have to wait for a port, just a cease fire which occurs every 1/2 hour.

Thanx for all of the great info.  At CR, are weekends very busy?  Weekends are the only time I really get to the range, unless I'm on vacation?  Maybe I can call in sick on a regular basis.  :)

Weekends are busy but I've rarely had to wait except for target changes. Weekdays you can have the place to yourself, particularly in cool weather. You do have to watch for police practice and an occasional match, which are listed on their schedule. Or you can call. Or you can do like me and just bring enough stuff to do. 

I've been thinking of getting a membership to either Cherry Ridge OR RTSP. I try to get to the range at least twice a month, sometimes more. I've only been to RTSP since you don't need a membership to shoot there, but the membership is cheaper at CR.

Based on that fact, which range is better to join. I normally shoot both pistols and rifles a well as both rimfire and center fire.

Also, I normally just go on weekends since I don't get out of work until 7.

What do ya think.

RTSP is open till 10 some nights...rent a locker, throw some stuff in...boom go straight from work.

RTSP is open till 10 some nights...rent a locker, throw some stuff in...boom go straight from work.

You can't bring your handguns to work and then to the range. 

*F* the locker. Do what Gear-Hating Man does. Get a large tupperware container for your vehicle. Targets, tools, cleaning supplies, a sighting scope, bag rests, hearing protection, cap, light jacket, notebook & pencils, gloves/shooting gloves, copy of your range pass. If you're into "sir-vah-vull" include a few bottles of water and some freeze-dried crickets. Buy the stuff once and store it in your car and you're a free man.

You can't bring your handguns to work and then to the range.

*F* the locker. Do what Gear-Hating Man does. Get a large tupperware container for your vehicle. Targets, tools, cleaning supplies, a sighting scope, bag rests, hearing protection, cap, light jacket, notebook & pencils, gloves/shooting gloves, copy of your range pass. If you're into "sir-vah-vull" include a few bottles of water and some freeze-dried crickets. Buy the stuff once and store it in your car and you're a free man.

Exactly.