HBecwithFn7

Psych Exam if caught "Carrying???"

From NJ.com - Should CCW lead to a Pyschiatric Exam?

This article popped up in my Florida Forum.  Apparently,  the Mayor of Morristown is seeking a law that mandates a psychiatric exam if someone is caught concealed carrying in his town.

I gather ANJRPC will be on this???? :dontknow:

I dont get it. The article. Did he have a carry permit? No. Then i still dont get the article. Someone explain it to me. Slowly. I mean. Id carry if all theyre going to do is make me get a psych exam everytime im caught and no other penalties. ???!

I dont get it. The article. Did he have a carry permit? No. Then i still dont get the article. Someone explain it to me. Slowly. I mean. Id carry if all theyre going to do is make me get a psych exam everytime im caught and no other penalties. ???!

I think the concept was that if someone is caught carrying a gun (without a permit) that something must be mentally wrong with the person and they want the ability to require a mental evaluation which currently is not required by law.  At least that is my take on this strange story.

Already took one just to get hired. But thanks anyway :p

You missed my point, I am not saying cops should have to take psyc exams.  I am saying I hope they pass something stupid with unintended consequences so they look like asses and have to change the law.

Just like many other lib laws, the intent here is to give pass to real perps.  You know, if Mr BabyG is carrying (obviously  illegally) , something must be wrong with BG, incompetent to stand trial and back on the street in no time hustling stuff. 

If its Mr. Law abiding, who has much to lose by declaring him/herself mentally incompetent,  you know how the story ends up. 

I thought it was just me, but that article just did not seem to make any sense.  Seemed like it was going in a lot of different directions,

none of them connected.

I was trying to understand how the guns became an issue. And why its considered carrying if it was a stop during transport. Were they loaded? And how did anyone even become aware that he had them?

As for the mayor, his proposed law is bizarre. First, what kind of carrying is he talking about? Carrying a concealed loaded firearm? If thats it, like someone already said, we have laws that cover that situation. We don't like them... But we have them.

If he is talking about you or I stopping for a drive thru burger, or a bathroom stop, to or from an excepted location with a properly stowed handgun in the vehicle, then he is trying to find a way to take guns out of our hands. Incre-mental... Pun intended... confiscation.

I was trying to understand how the guns became an issue. And why its considered carrying if it was a stop during transport. Were they loaded? And how did anyone even become aware that he had them?

Morristown Mayor Timothy Dougherty is urging such a law after a man accused of carrying two handguns and hollow-point bullets in his backpack near a movie multiplex in Morristown was released last week after posting $100,000 bail.

Unfortunately, the article doesn't say how he was caught. :dontknow:  But considering the multi-plex of which they're talking (i.e. "downtown Morristown")... 

As for the mayor, his proposed law is bizarre. First, what kind of carrying is he talking about? Carrying a concealed loaded firearm? If thats it, like someone already said, we have laws that cover that situation. We don't like them... But we have them.

I guess his mindset is, "Anyone (non LEO) who ccw's in NJ must be :crazy: !  So they need to be examined..."     That's :crazy: !

If he is talking about you or I stopping for a drive thru burger, or a bathroom stop, to or from an excepted location with a properly stowed handgun in the vehicle, then he is trying to find a way to take guns out of our hands. Incre-mental... Pun intended... confiscation.

Yeah, I can see where this might be abused.... leading to more incidents of "confiscation by shrink."  I suspect he is referring only to concealed carry on one's person (which is what happened in the incident reported by nj.com), not so much the general "transport of fireams" FOPA style in the vehicle. But there is always that possibility.

Official Psych exam:

1) Do you fly the American flag?

2) Do you have a job?

3) Do you believe in God?

4) Do you have morals and values?

If you answered "yes" to any of these you will need further treatment along with intense rehab and will be incarcerated immediately.

Unfortunately, the article doesn't say how he was caught. :dontknow: But considering the multi-plex of which they're talking (i.e. "downtown Morristown")...

I guess his mindset is, "Anyone (non LEO) who ccw's in NJ must be :crazy: ! So they need to be examined..." That's :crazy: !

Yeah, I can see where this might be abused.... leading to more incidents of "confiscation by shrink." I suspect he is referring only to concealed carry on one's person (which is what happened in the incident reported by nj.com), not so much the general "transport of fireams" FOPA style in the vehicle. But there is always that possibility.

He is actually talking about Headquarters Plaza in particular. I work for a company in the building and somewhere in the building this guy was 'detected' as having two firearms. We still haven't heard how that occurred, but i doubt I ever will either.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So...  If a police officer is caught carrying a firearm, they should have to take a psych exam.  Essentially, every police officer in Morristown should be taking a psych exam every time they walk out of the station.

I mean, it's crazy to want to protect yourself as you go about your daily business...

Yeah, one a those "Good for the goose, good for the gander" type of things.  :)

And they still hired you. *sigh* tax dollars at work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I almost got fired when they found out I was friends with you.... Had to go for a fitness for duty exam.

So...  If a police officer is caught carrying a firearm, they should have to take a psych exam.  Essentially, every police officer in Morristown should be taking a psych exam every time they walk out of the station.

I mean, it's crazy to want to protect yourself as you go about your daily business...

Yeah, one a those "Good for the goose, good for the gander" type of things.  :)

Again, cops already have to pass a psyche to get hired and carry and oftentimes promoted.

Careful what you wish for. You want "good for the goose" legislation - then everyone needs a psyche prior to applying for a CCW just like cops.

Be smarter than that.

I almost got fired when they found out I was friends with you.... Had to go for a fitness for duty exam.

Again, cops already have to pass a psyche to get hired and carry and oftentimes promoted.

Careful what you wish for. You want "good for the goose" legislation - then everyone needs a psyche prior to applying for a CCW just like cops.

Be smarter than that.

Well, to be honest...  I think that's legit.  One should have to pass a *Legitiment* and reasonable psychiatric exam to acquire a CCW License.  Cops and public alike.  I don't mean an extensive, multi-day evaluation.  I mean a simple, short (1-2 hour max) examination to ensure you're in a normal mental state.

Now, before everyone jumps on me...  Along with that, once I obtain that license I should also be allowed to possess anything and everything a police officer is allowed to posses.  If they can own (Or use on duty) a fully automatic m4, I can own a fully automatic m4.  If they can have a grenade launcher, I can have a grenade launcher.  If they can have a LAV with .50 cal machine guns, grenade launchers and all kinds of "riot control" bells and whistles, so can I.

I firmly believe that State and local law enforcement should be on an even keel with the law abiding public...  Some of the most heinous atrocities of years past were committed by those who were "Just doing their jobs."  and they saw little resistance thanks to their extreme advantage in terms of force.  I respect America's boys in blue...  Just don't trust em.  ;)  And seriously...  What would you rather have - "Take this psych, and if you're not crazy you can lawfully carry a firearm." -OR- "If you want to carry a firearm, apply at any police station.  You've been denied.  Because we say so.  Bye-bye now."

So, yeah...  Good for the goose, good for the gander.  However, that would require lawmakers with common sense...  And if we had those already, we wouldn't need "good for the goose" laws to fix our broken laws, so I'm sure even if my proposal came into mention they would molest it into something opposite.  

...Honestly, I just want a tank.

^^^ Not so fast.  HE is right,  be careful in what we wish for.   

LEOs go through battery of tests, exams, hurdles because they carry more power (rightfully so), given by society (of law abiding citizens) to perform specific duties. Power, not just firepower but legal powers.  

A law abiding citizen is a freeman who pays for these services, elects the democratic Govt and is pillar of the society as it exists. Hence shouldnt be subject to such tests, exams, hurdles to exercise natural rights. 

It would be against established democratic principles, but given current state of affairs, Politicians should go through what LEOs go through before running for office. 

With all due respect to everyone, security of a free state cannot be maintained when Govt entities carry more power than its Citizens. 

In theory anyways. 

Well, to be honest...  I think that's legit.  One should have to pass a *Legitiment* and reasonable psychiatric exam to acquire a CCW License.  Cops and public alike.  I don't mean an extensive, multi-day evaluation.  I mean a simple, short (1-2 hour max) examination to ensure you're in a normal mental state.

Now, before everyone jumps on me...  Along with that, once I obtain that license I should also be allowed to possess anything and everything a police officer is allowed to posses.  If they can own (Or use on duty) a fully automatic m4, I can own a fully automatic m4.  If they can have a grenade launcher, I can have a grenade launcher.  If they can have a LAV with .50 cal machine guns, grenade launchers and all kinds of "riot control" bells and whistles, so can I.

I firmly believe that State and local law enforcement should be on an even keel with the law abiding public...  Some of the most heinous atrocities of years past were committed by those who were "Just doing their jobs."  and they saw little resistance thanks to their extreme advantage in terms of force.  I respect America's boys in blue...  Just don't trust em.   ;)  And seriously...  What would you rather have - "Take this psych, and if you're not crazy you can lawfully carry a firearm." -OR- "If you want to carry a firearm, apply at any police station.  You've been denied.  Because we say so.  Bye-bye now."

So, yeah...  Good for the goose, good for the gander.  However, that would require lawmakers with common sense...  And if we had those already, we wouldn't need "good for the goose" laws to fix our broken laws, so I'm sure even if my proposal came into mention they would molest it into something opposite.  

...Honestly, I just want a tank.

That's some fumy stuff there

If you're caught carrying consealed without a permit, the least of your worries is a phsyc exam. It's just a stupid law imo. What will it accomplish? It's not like afterwards you will ever be able to purchase a firearm in NJ again legally, unless you're somehow found not guilty, by an act of God.

If you're caught carrying consealed without a permit, the least of your worries is a phsyc exam. It's just a stupid law imo. What will it accomplish? It's not like afterwards you will ever be able to purchase a firearm in NJ again legally, unless you're somehow found not guilty, by an act of God.

Actually, you'll never be able to possess a firearm legally anywhere in the US ever again.

^^^true. We'll I guess that one way to then finally be able to buy SBR's, SBS's, MG'S, artillery, and pretty much anything else you want to own afterwards. Once your a prohibited person, you can own whatever you want. Just exempt yourself from the laws and buy whatever you want from whomever you want. Plus you basically get a 50 state cary permit, without a permit.