Sign in to follow this  
DeerSlayer

Black Bear 2016 Archery/Muzzeloader October season is a go!

Well it passed! 9-0 can't wait till next year! Archery Bear while they're still out of the dens!

State panel OKs plan for bear archery hunt in 2016

By BRUCE A. SCRUTON [email protected] 8/12/15

UPPER FREEHOLD — The state Fish and Game Council gave its approval to a new black bear management plan on Tuesday.

The plan, which would create an archery season for bears, needs only the Department of Environmental Protection commissioner’s signature and publication to become formal state policy.

The 9-0 vote came during a meeting of the council and followed a public comment period and formal public hearing in early June. Once Commissioner Bob Martin signs the document, it will be published in the New Jersey Register.

Martin said publicly last spring he supports the new management plan and intends to sign the document, but department spokesman Larry Hajna said Tuesday no formal signing ceremony has yet been scheduled.

Although the management plan goes into effect with publication, only part of the plan will have an effect on this year’s black bear hunt, scheduled for Dec. 7-12 to coincide with the six-day shotgun deer season.

Under the plan, state Division of Fish and Wildlife biologists can add four days to the shotgun season the following week if not enough bears are harvested during the regular season. Biologists already had the authority to stop the season early if target numbers were met, but had no authority to extend the season if minimum numbers were not met.

The Fish and Game Council sets the state’s game code, which outlines seasons and bag limits for the state, and this year’s code is already published.

With the management plan formalized, the bow season can be scheduled for next October and will include archery-only days and a muzzle-loading rifle season.

The plan notes that more bears are active in October, which should increase the number of bears taken during the hunting season.

The management plan also includes a fifth bear hunting zone just to the south of Interstate 80 and east of Interstate 287. West and north of those highways are the four zones where bear hunting is now allowed.

Although bears have been seen in all parts of the state, the northwestern corner of New Jersey has the highest concentration of bruins

And in 2017 the new Dumbocrat Governor will claim some type of Bravo Sierra and take it away. Enjoy it while you can gents!

Nope, can't happen now. It's permanently part of the game code. It's no longer a temporary 5 year season, the governor can end. Once it's signed in the coming weeks that's it bear season is set in stone. Same as deer season every year. The antis can protest till they're blue in the face, and there's nothing the next governor can do about it. Only the game council, and DEP commissioner together can end the hunt. And since the Federation of Sportsmen’s clubs has two seats on the council, that's not happening. Bear hunting in NJ is here to stay.

The only thing that can end the hunt during a season is if the annual goal # of harvested animals is satisfied prior to the end of the season. That hasn't happened once since 2003 when the first hunt took place. And the last 2 December seasons less than half of the 500 bear goal was met. This is the reason for a second early October season.

Maybe it's the 100% lack of experience in me, but I'm not sure I'd challenge a bear with a bow and arrow...  and I love bear meat.  I'm thinking more like a bow & arrow chambered in .458 socom?  lol you guys are some brave gents if your chasing bears with a bow.

My Xbow shoots a bolt at 350fps, complete pass through is pretty much a guarantee. That's a big hole, that a bunch of razor sharp edges on the broadhead makes. I have zero doubt that a bear is a going to die quick with a well placed shot. A lot of other states have bow seasons for bruins, not too many issues with it. Nothing I've shot with my bow has lived yet.

My Xbow shoots a bolt at 350fps, complete pass through is pretty much a guarantee. That's a big hole, that a bunch of razor sharp edges on the broadhead makes. I have zero doubt that a bear is a going to die quick with a well placed shot. A lot of other states have bow seasons for bruins, not too many issues with it. Nothing I've shot with my bow has lived yet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qGg3bRQBGvM

Beautiful shot - 2 steps and down...  Oh - the Rage Broadheads are on sale this week at Dick's.  I'm going to pick some up in preparation for Deer season :)

I stopped using rage, had too many problems with them, and other mechanical broadheads. I started using G5 Montec's. They are awesome, no issues whatsoever. Easy to re sharpen as well. And they kill!

My Ex-coworker who has taken a lot of deer recommends the Rage heads.  I'll give 'em a try.  I want mechanicals over 3-blade.

1ecd0bed7c2cb9a2c2c97677b9763810.jpg

This was when I completely gave up on mechanicals. Shwacker head in this picture, hard to see but the blades are both bent almost 90° from where they should be. Rib cage did that. Fixed blade broadheads can't fail. If you are mind set on using mechanicals, I highly recommend staying away from rage, and look at grim reaper. The quality and reliability is much better.

This was when I completely gave up on mechanicals. Shwacker head in this picture, hard to see but the blades are both bent almost 90° from where they should be. Rib cage did that. Fixed blade broadheads can't fail. If you are mind set on using mechanicals, I highly recommend staying away from rage, and look at grim reaper. The quality and reliability is much better.

I'll keep an eye out for the Grim Reaper ones.  Any particular broadhead you recommend from them?

For hunting Deer, you could for the past couple of years.  Bear they just added for 2016.

Just as a FYI anybody that intends to hunt a bear with a bow / crossbow.   You better do your homework.

Bears don't have big lungs like deer and there's lots of heavy bone so don't expect a pass through.

The first year I did bear was 03 they used to make us go through a program that explains where the bear vitals were, along with some other information exclusively about bear. They don't do it anymore, it's now part of hunter ed I believe. But definitely know that a bear and deer kill zones are not the same. Good post OldSchool!

Excuse my ignorance, I'm not a hunter-- but why is passthrough desirable for a bow but undesirable for rifle bullets?

You want the arrow/bolt to pass through so that it makes a good wound channel and the animal can bleed out.

You don't want the shot to stop inside - that means it hit something hard and stopped, usually a bone or muscle, and you've hit a non-vital zone.

Also - Rifle rounds should go through...

Unless you have the nose of a bloodhound, the potential for a blood trail to follow is enhanced by more than one hole. Often an entrance wound will close up with fat or hide covering it, leaving a poor blood trail to follow. The animal may bleed excessively internally, but you would never know. Most people can't trail an animal in thick cover, especially in the early Fall months. 

You want the arrow/bolt to pass through so that it makes a good wound channel and the animal can bleed out.

You don't want the shot to stop inside - that means it hit something hard and stopped, usually a bone or muscle, and you've hit a non-vital zone.

Also - Rifle rounds should go through...

Thanks. I assumed overpenetration was a concern in rifle hunting.

When it comes to archery the bigger the hole the better, lots and lots of blood is desirable. When the arrow or bolt enters, it plugs the entry wound. Unlike a bullet, or slugs will. So a full pass through is it most desirable. You really have to think about your shot with archery. The best shot is always a diagonal hit, preferably with the animal quartering away. You want to picture the exit wound, not the entrance wound with archery. It's a lot like taking a bumper shot in billiards, it's all about the angle, and hitting the most vital organs as possible for a quick humane kill. As well as a short quick track, and recovery. Heart, liver, and lungs, are the target's. If you hit all three in one, it's called a book shot, thats what every archer strives for.

I really like when I don't hit the heart personally, because I like to eat it. Fried, sliced thin, heart sandwiches, on white bread are awesome! When a broadhead hits the heart maceration is almost always the result.

I'm pretty good at tracking without blood, but I've been hunting for 28 years. I had great teachers at a young age. I know what to look for and how to tell where an animal walked. But when they leave you a trail of heavy blood behind it's way easier to find. When they're hit, they never take an easy path. They walk through the worst shit you could possibly imagine, every sticker bush, every wet mud hole, all the worst places you wouldn't want to normally walk through. Quick death is a good day for you and the animal.

That's why they say "know your target and what's beyond".  Shotgun slugs may not always exit, but a rifle round should.

Slugs in my experience usually penetrate completely on whitetails, unless a stem to stern or angling shot is deployed. I don't use sabots but some rounds utilize soft point and hollow point bullets, half the weight of a slug, and may open up and expend their energy upon expansion but offer less penetration. (I suspect saboted rounds penetrate on broadside hits though.) The same can be said for rifle rounds of small caliber and light weight at slow velocities. Some will pass through, some will not, usually dependent upon bullet construction and velocity. 

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/60517-best-slugs-for-expansion-and-pentration/

My brother's friend shot a large doe that had an odd look to her swollen face when it came to butchering time. He performed his own necropsy and found a 20 ga. slug lodged in her nasal canal. Bet there's a great story behind that shot.