MikeL

Transporting AR-15 & Handgun to NC for vacation

Sorry to create another topic on this but I've searched & searched (both here & on the web) to no avail. 

Next month, I'm driving from NJ to Outer Banks, NC and I just want to know the protocol for a long gun & 2 handguns. My plan is to have them unloaded, cased, and locked in the trunk. Ammo will be separate. Am I missing anything?

Bonus question, it's a long drive & we obviously have to stop. I read that stopping in DE or VA should be OK. Stopping in MD is a no-no since they are just as strict about that as PRNJ.

Thanks for any help here.

FOPA requires that it's legal to possess where you start and where you end.  So they will have to be legal to possess by you in NC.

The other thing that has been commented on is transport through Maryland.  Some here would rather go on a nude beach date with Hillary Clinton than transport a handgun through Maryland.  Others... not so concerned.

There's this thread that has comments that may be helpful.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/77781-visiting-dad-in-nj-want-to-bring-rifle-pistol/

I just don't know enough about MD to say that's an issue. 

Sorry to create another topic on this but I've searched & searched (both here & on the web) to no avail. 

Next month, I'm driving from NJ to Outer Banks, NC and I just want to know the protocol for a long gun & 2 handguns. My plan is to have them unloaded, cased, and locked in the trunk. Ammo will be separate. Am I missing anything?

Bonus question, it's a long drive & we obviously have to stop. I read that stopping in DE or VA should be OK. Stopping in MD is a no-no since they are just as strict about that as PRNJ.

Thanks for any help here.

No, that should be sufficient. Follow the FOPA rules, and you should be fine.

Which route are you traveling?  You might want to avoid the "harbor tunnel" areas in MD, as that has the most scrutiny. There are a couple of alternatives. You can take US 301 down he eastern shore and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and then along the US301/50 West to the Captial Beltway, and then down to I-95.  Or, you might bypass I-95 altogether and take I-78---> I-81, --> I-77 (which will get you to Charlotte, NC, and then go across to the outer banks. That would limit your exposure in MD to only 10 minutes, 15 miles (via Hagerstown).

Your call.

If you're looking for a route that avoids the Baltimore tunnels and the Key bridge, you can take I-695 towards Towson and circumvent that area.  About a 20 minute delay.    Back on I-95 then I-495 west towards Bethesda, and you'll be in VA shortly. Jump on I-95 again and off you go....  More time in MD than the Hagerstown route though.

As far as route, we were looking at this one. Exposure to MD is about 50 miles in the Ocean City area.

That should be OK.  In fact, you can stop in the Cabella's that is right in the Christina Mall as you enter Delaware! :)

Just be careful not to get stopped by the NJSP.  That's a long trip on the Turnpike.

As far as route, we were looking at this one. Exposure to MD is about 50 miles in the Ocean City area.

Took that route to/from Norfolk a couple of years ago. Not too bad, but there is a pretty long stretch through DE of 25 mph and lots of traffic lights. A little slow going, but not terrible.

I did a trip last month from nj to emerald isle nc down through Delaware across the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel and down from there. Good trip. I tried 13 on the way down and 113 on the way back. Definitely do 113. Will save half hour. You get a little MD but never saw a MD cop. Just VA cops. There is a some shore traffic in de,but nothing like you used to see on the parkway for jersey shore points.

I travel down to OBX 3-5 times a year, and spend the whole summer down here (June-Aug).

I take 13 all the way down.

You said you were coming down in September- good news, there will be a indoor range opening sometime in September. The gun shack, which is on route 158 will be opening a brand new range.

Of course you can always check out the Outer Banks Shooting Club, depending on where your staying The travel can be far (and it's closed on Mondays)

I went to NC in the spring and was never stopped by a cop either way. The pretty much have too much to do than hassle you. I did stop in Bass Pro outside of Richmond and bought some powder. The asked me where I was from and I said NJ, they said OK, seems they didn't want to sell it to any marylanders.

Just wanted to follow up here & say the trip went well. Took the 2 handguns & the AR down without any trouble. Rest stops in DE & then VA. Wish my Florida CCW came in before we left but I have it now so that's good. 

Shot at Outer Banks Gun Club while down there. Really friendly group of people and all members of the party (most of which were first timers) had a blast. Highly recommend. It was about an hour from our beach house in Corolla.

I thought the AR-15 was illegal in Jersey?

Take HBec's route. Don't screw around with Delaware 13 (or their dumb metric bypass) nonsense. I feel like I have spent years on those roads and the highways through MD. Avoid MD and the Beltway altogether (except those 12 miles of panhandle).

When you arm up at the WV welcome center the people parked around you are arming up as well, furthest sposts from the pisser, I might even be one of them.