MB24

considering cjrpc

I used to be a Range 14er, then finally joined CJ a few years ago. It's a great range, to sum up the differences:

- no extra per-hour fees. Stay the whole day

- no regimented ceasefires. The people on the line agree to go down range together. Very friendly.

- Multiple ranges, trap & skeet, archery, and many private pits available. All inclusive, no extra fees.

- you can get training and use the trap/skeet machines yourself, your own private range

- there are many shooting sport events for both public and member only.

Just some of the differences.

CJ is a wonderful range.  I've been there to shoot USPSA as well as Trap.  I've also been to Range 14.  There is a night and day difference between Range 14 and CJ!

All ya need to do is ask yourself, are ya ready to be your own RO?  Are you gun-educated enough and SAFE enough to make safety a big part of your life?  If you're willing to assume that responsibility, then you're ready to step-up to a private range.

All ya need to do is ask yourself, are ya ready to be your own RO? Are you gun-educated enough and SAFE enough to make safety a big part of your life? If you're willing to assume that responsibility, then you're ready to step-up to a private range.

In all fairness, I'm far more concerned about someone else shooting me at a range than shooting myself or someone else...

That was the main reason why I stopped going to Shore Shot. Having a guy with a loaded J-frame sweep myself, girlfriend, and few other shooters... with his finger inside the trigger guard... really makes you rethink where you are shooting. When you bring it up to him, he shrugs his shoulders and acts like you are below him... then bringing it up to staff that decided it didn't happen because they didn't see it (while BSing outside the range).

Or how about the group of guys that were shooting in the center lanes, and one decided to shoot my target with a .25... when I'm at an end lane (and shooting a 9mm, so much larger holes)? Rounds ricocheting down range after striking the walls. Bring it up in the shop, as nobody is out there... and employee said he would handle it. Gets back on the phone and continues his conversation.

Don't get me wrong... not everyone is ready to go out there without supervision. But for those that are, you aren't going to be the only threat to your own safety. You either need a good R/O or good shooters. Questionable people in either role is where accidents happen.

I used to be a Range 14er, then finally joined CJ a few years ago. It's a great range, to sum up the differences:

- no extra per-hour fees. Stay the whole day

- no regimented ceasefires. The people on the line agree to go down range together. Very friendly.

- Multiple ranges, trap & skeet, archery, and many private pits available. All inclusive, no extra fees.

- you can get training and use the trap/skeet machines yourself, your own private range

- there are many shooting sport events for both public and member only.

Just some of the differences.

Nice. That's what I'm looking for !

In all fairness, I'm far more concerned about someone else shooting me at a range than shooting myself or someone else... That was the main reason why I stopped going to Shore Shot. Having a guy with a loaded J-frame sweep myself, girlfriend, and few other shooters... with his finger inside the trigger guard... really makes you rethink where you are shooting. When you bring it up to him, he shrugs his shoulders and acts like you are below him... then bringing it up to staff that decided it didn't happen because they didn't see it (while BSing outside the range). Or how about the group of guys that were shooting in the center lanes, and one decided to shoot my target with a .25... when I'm at an end lane (and shooting a 9mm, so much larger holes)? Rounds ricocheting down range after striking the walls. Bring it up in the shop, as nobody is out there... and employee said he would handle it. Gets back on the phone and continues his conversation. Don't get me wrong... not everyone is ready to go out there without supervision. But for those that are, you aren't going to be the only threat to your own safety. You either need a good R/O or good shooters. Questionable people in either role is where accidents happen.

Actually I've had the exact same thing happen to me in Shore Shot (being swept), which is why if someone offered me a free membership THERE I wouldn't spend the gas to get there.

I know from reading what you wrote that you probably would be okay in being your own RO.  As you have stated, there are those who are NOT, nor will ever be ready to be left alone by themselves with a loaded firearm, which is a shame in and of itself in my book.  I wrote what I did to make folks THINK about SAFETY their entire time they visit any Range, public OR private.  What I wrote I meant.  If a shooter can't trust themselves to police themselves and their actions while attending a shooting facility, then they still require TRAINING WHEELS.  Those training wheels have RSO patches on their sleeves and work at commercial ranges that allow walk-ins.  Private clubs will throw you out if you are warned and refuse to accept responsibility for your inattentiveness to basic safety rules.  Saying that you DIDN'T DO A VIOLATION is a sure way to be summoned before a Safety Committee or Board of Trustees to decide your fate.  Those that MAN-UP and admit fault and then take necessary corrective training from club members are quite often the SAFEST shooters the club has, because now they're ever vigilant in their situational awareness and habits when visiting the range, instead of complacent with regards to range SAFETY.  Private clubs don't need to tolerate unsafe A-Holes, nor should they!  

Dave

NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Pistol League Chairman

Competitive Shooter in several disciplines

Hunter, Mentor, former Board Member OBRPC

Just to be clear, wasn't looking to step on your toes. Just wanted to add on to your post.

^^^^Totally COOL with that.  I didn't mean to come-off snobbish in any way, so if I did, I'm sorry.  SAFETY is a huge concern of mine (as you've no doubt noticed).  I appreciate candid input from adults and will always welcome the opportunity for enlightened discourse.  I know a LOT, but I don't know EVERYTHING.  I'm still learning.  One thing I do know is sweeping folks with your trigger finger inside the trigger guard is a BIG F-UP!  I'm sorry you and I have both had to endure it.  

Just an FYI, you may wanna change the name of your Home Range to Garden State Shooting Center, since BA is out of bidness.  Have a great week!

Dave

Just an FYI, you may wanna change the name of your Home Range to Garden State Shooting Center, since BA is out of bidness. Have a great week!

Can't do it on Tapatalk, which I'm on here like 99% of the time. Next time I log onto the site, I'll edit it.

Same to you, as well.