Sign in to follow this  
TheMan

Handgun recommendation for my future Operator

Hey folks. So my son and I have been shooting together for about a year now. He has big dreams of one day being a ranger. He's 7 years young and getting interested in handguns. Anyone recommend a certain 22lr handgun?

Ruger SR22 ..... bought one for my wife & I love & use it more than her....great handgun dude !

I recently bought a Ruger 22/45 Lite. I like it a lot. Only gripe is reassembly is tedious until you figure it out. Check out a youtube vid on that and you'll see what I mean. But it's a great .22 in my opinion. No jam issues. Accurate. Comfortable.

Here a Cabelas link so you can see the variations. I have the Aluminim version.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Firearms/Handguns/Rimfire-Handguns|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105526980/i/105528780/Ruger174-Mark-III-and-2245-Semiautomatic-Rimfire-Pistols/1260846.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frimfire-handguns%2Fruger%2F_%2FN-1114853%2B1000004535%2FNe-1000004535%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105528780%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

It comes with an adjustable rear sight. Extra mag. A picatinny rail that you can attach if you want to and a threaded barrel. No barrel shroud so NJ legal.

A smith and wesson revolver, J-frame .22 w/ a 3-4" barrel.  Teach him how to use it in single action now and double action later.  Ruger is a nice gun, but some have issues and require spring change to cycle out-of-the-box.  Ruger isn't as accurate as the revo, and the trigger has some grit and creep (that can be worked-out).  SR-.22 can hit the berm at 25 yards, smith and wesson can hit the bullseye.  Just depends on whether or not your little "Operator" wants to hit at distance...........

Have fun Pops.  I've been there!

Revolver. Load one round at a time in case of a safety rule violation, which most likely will be keeping it pointed downrange at all times. Kids & significant others tend to get excited and have a tendency to turn around with it in their hands. Just an observation from time I've spent at the range.