lhrocker

Centerfire Rifle for the non hunter

I'd like to get a centerfire rifle as a step up from a 22LR.  I don't hunt and not sure if i will, so being that it will just be a plinking/target gun, it it getting into?  The Savage Axis is currently on sale and I can get it in .223 or 243?  It's the I want vs. I need question.  I would probably sell off one of my 22LR's if I get the Axis.

I'd probably do .233. Plentiful, low(er) cost ammunition, and a wide variety of projectiles available.

I DO love me some .243, but if you're not going to hunt with it, I'd stick to the .223. It will cost you less to shoot.

I'd probably do .233. Plentiful, low(er) cost ammunition, and a wide variety of projectiles available.

I DO love me some .243, but if you're not going to hunt with it, I'd stick to the .223. It will cost you less to shoot.

I totally agree 223 / 5.56 is the way to go with a paper puncher / non-hunting center fire rifle. Inexpensive ammo is a big plus and you'll be able to afford more shooting and improve your proficiency. 

Lots of choices on what rifle to buy.

The Axis is a nice rifle but the stock is flimsy and down right sucks.  But you can restock for not a lot of money. They are good shooters.

243 Win will eat you out of house and home.

Is there any type of competitive rifle shooting or hunting you find yourself interested in?  I would look into these possibilities before investing in a center file rifle.  Check that out first, then see what may fit into your sporting likes.  You did not mention a type of centerfile rifle, bolt, semi-auto, lever, pump?  Lot's of possibilities, choose wisely grasshopper.

223 will cost less to shoot but it really depends on what ammo you will be shooting.   If the chamber is a true 223, then forget about shooting NATO 5.56.  Also, avoid rifles with a sporter barrel, they are too light and will heat up fast.  You will start stringing shots after about five or six rounds and have to put it down for a bit while it cools off.. 

223 will cost less to shoot but it really depends on what ammo you will be shooting.   If the chamber is a true 223, then forget about shooting NATO 5.56.  Also, avoid rifles with a sporter barrel, they are too light and will heat up fast.  You will start stringing shots after about five or six rounds and have to put it down for a bit while it cools off.. 

True on the 223/5.56 issue. Worth checking your chambering before you buy. Most bulk ammo is labeled 5.56. (is it really? I don't know)

True again on the light barrel.  The Axis the OP mentioned does have a pencil thin barrel.

Consider reloading.

For a few more bucks than an Axis you can get a varmint model Savage with a heavier barrel.

I started to search Savage but not knowing your budget a recommendation is hard to make.

I looked at Bud's and you can get an Axis scoped for $400.  ( I used Bud's for reference but, suggest you buy local.  Sure they'll price match)

Don't forget the Ruger American. Great warranty should you ever need it. Reasonably priced. Comes in a "Varmint" barrel that's threaded in case you want to add a brake at some point. It's also the action the new Ruger Precision Rifle is based off of.

C

Don't forget the Ruger American. Great warranty should you ever need it. Reasonably priced. Comes in a "Varmint" barrel that's threaded in case you want to add a brake at some point. It's also the action the new Ruger Precision Rifle is based off of.

C

The RAP has had mostly good reviews but the couple of bad ones I read were very critical.  Chuck Hawks reviewed the RAP in 223 and was sent two evaluation rifles and both were bad.  The first rifle had an issue where the POI was high by 7 inches.  Now the RPR, thats a different story.  That's an entry level "serious" rifle specifically designed for long range shooting.  That baby is sexy as hell but a bit pricey.

I have the RAR in 243, it's an excellent rifle.  Once it's sighted in I can count on it to be 1 MOA cold bore.  Absolutely perfect for a hunting rifle but not great for a range gun.  I knew what it's limitations were but still went with it because it was the best value for the kind of shooting I do.  It served it's purpose well as my first centerfire rifle but it's time to move up to a better gun.  I was almost set on getting a RAP in 243 because I was so impressed with the RAR.  Im now thinking I will skip the RAP and just save a bit longer for the Precision Rifle. Everything about the RPR is badass, even the price tag.

ruger-pre-rif-682x383.1437406783.png

I have a Ruger American in 243, I bought it mainly for target but also large enough for deer if I ever decide to hunt across the boarder.  The gun was very inexpensive and shoots great out to 300 yards.

True on the 223/5.56 issue. Worth checking your chambering before you buy. Most bulk ammo is labeled 5.56. (is it really? I don't know)

True again on the light barrel.  The Axis the OP mentioned does have a pencil thin barrel.

Consider reloading.

For a few more bucks than an Axis you can get a varmint model Savage with a heavier barrel.

I started to search Savage but not knowing your budget a recommendation is hard to make.

I looked at Bud's and you can get an Axis scoped for $400.  ( I used Bud's for reference but, suggest you buy local.  Sure they'll price match)

I picked up the Axis XP, which is scoped with the non accutrigger for $250 w/rebate.  Seemed like a no brainer - now to get one of my AO scoped on it to start shooting!!

I just ordered the Axis II XP in .223 as well.  It was around $350 and there's a $50 rebate from savage which makes it even better

Ihrocker - you didn't want to opt for the accu-trigger? With the rebate it's a fantastic deal

I just ordered the Axis II XP in .223 as well.  It was around $350 and there's a $50 rebate from savage which makes it even better

Ihrocker - you didn't want to opt for the accu-trigger? With the rebate it's a fantastic deal

I got the Axis XP for $289 not including the rebate.  I'll probably sell the scope cheap as I have a better one and the trigger mod seems good enough.  Can't wait to get to the range to zero the scope.  Just waiting to see what the recoil will be like.