maintenanceguy

Buying Black Powder Revolver When Visiting America

What's the legality of purchasing a black powder revolver in PA or DE?

It seems that it should be legal.  When I'm not in NJ, I'm not subject to NJ's laws.  I can drive the local speed limit, pump my own gas as the local law allows, carry a firearm on my person according to the laws of the state I'm visiting.  Since there are no federal laws restricting purchase of black powder guns, it seems that NJ's laws do not apply when I'm not in NJ.

I realize that once I cross the river back into NJ, that gun becomes a firearm and is subject to NJ's transportation requirements.

Is there any legal jeopardy in purchasing a black powder revolver in PA and then transporting it cased and unloaded back to my home?

What's the legality of purchasing a black powder revolver in PA or DE?

It seems that it should be legal.  When I'm not in NJ, I'm not subject to NJ's laws.  I can drive the local speed limit, pump my own gas as the local law allows, carry a firearm on my person according to the laws of the state I'm visiting.  Since there are no federal laws restricting purchase of black powder guns, it seems that NJ's laws do not apply when I'm not in NJ.

I realize that once I cross the river back into NJ, that gun becomes a firearm and is subject to NJ's transportation requirements.

Is there any legal jeopardy in purchasing a black powder revolver in PA and then transporting it cased and unloaded back to my home?

You've managed to answer your own questions quite well.  What you're writing about happens every day in PA. at places like Cabela's and Dixon Muzzleloading (just 11 miles from Cabela's, in Kempton, PA.).  At Cabela's they're an off-the-shelf item, just like .50 cal BMG M2 Ball ammo, so how many do you wanna purchase in a single transaction, lol?

As a member of two Black Powder Clubs/Leagues (with an open invitation to several more both in NJ and surrounding states), I can attest to this as a common practice.  NOBODY I know is stupid enough to waste a P2P on a Cap and Ball revolver.  Yes, as it crosses the river it does in fact become an EVIL DEATH MACHINE with the same TRANSPORTATION laws applied to it as any modern hand gun.........so I strongly suggest that after purchasing in PA that you lock it in your cars' trunk or put the box under a blanket in the back of your SUV (out of your reach) and once you cross back into Dirty Jersey that you go straight to an EXEMPT LOCATION (such as your house or apartment).  

In PA you could have it in its' beautifully printed cardboard box laying on the front seat and go about your normal everyday bidness.  In the PRNJ having that box on your front seat is an invitation for a search, so I advise you to stow it in your trunk or under a blanket in the back of the SUV.

If you require any help or advice on shooting your new revolver(s), please contact me directly.  Also remember to clean the gun FIRST with Hoppe's #9 or Shooters' Choice to get the packing grease out of it (especially on the nipple's threads and cylinder arbor) so ya don't make CEMENT with black powder fouling and packing grease mixed together.

Dave

NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Pistol and Rifle