Sign in to follow this  
catastroy

Moving to NJ with Guns

Hello everyone,

I am moving to NJ on 30th this month from ND. I will be driving the whole distance in my own sedan.

I am so confused right now and posting this as a final check/discussion.

So I have following firearms: All firearms were bought from a local ffl dealer.

1:-SW M&P 15 Sport with collapsible stock  and flash hider : - I drilled and pinned the stock in 3 places and epoxied it  to make it fixed . I shipped the barrel to T1 Defense for the installation of permanent  muzzle brake. Sold all of my five 30 rounds magazines for 5 bucks each and bought a 10 round one.

2:-SW M&P 15-22 with collapsible stock and flash hider : Did same as above with the stock and barrel . Sold 25 round magazines and have couple of 10 round ones.

3:-Springfield Armory 1911 Range officer 45 Auto : Standard factory gun. couple of 7 round Mags , one 10 round mag that extends the butt of the grip. (is extended mag allowed as long as its less than 15 rounds?)

4:- Ruger 22-45 Lite cobalt anodize : Standard factory gun with threaded barrel with thread protector cap on. Two 10 round mags with it.

Ammunition: (can I import legally owned ammo to NJ from ND ?)

1: I got 100 rounds of 22LR hollow point

2: about 2000 rounds of 22LR federal standard ammo - no hollow point

3: about 1000 rounds of 5.56 and 223 cal ammo. - no hollow point

4: About 400 rounds  of 45 Auto , all standard ball ammo. - no hollow point

I will have all firearms unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk of my sedan. All ammo will also be stored  in trunk (locked in two separate boxes)

Do you guys see any issue here ? I will be driving from ND to NJ over the duration of two days and might get a hotel in between (May be in ohio or indiana) , or just take short naps in rest areas. Any suggestions you have to help me out with this ?

thanks

Cata

My suggestion is to strongly reconsider.

The first issue I see is there is no exception for possession of hollowpoints (yes your .22s) while moving to a new home.

You will be posting in this thread in a year or two unless you get financially trapped by the wicked Jersey system:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/71400-are-you-leaving-nj-in-the-next-5-years/

I am not an expert, but I believe you are good to go except for the .22.

Hollow points in NJ really need to be treated as handguns, in that you need to have a NJ FID card and be going to or from a gun shop/range and home with no deviations. I would shoot that 100 rounds up before you head over.

PM me when your ready to hit the range after you get settled in.  I live close to North Plainfield.  I shoot out in PA at Easton Game and Fish Association (EFGA).  It's about an hour away but it's a nice day trip.  I can guest you in.  Pretty much a straight trip down 78.

Welcome to the Peoples Republic Of NJ (PRNJ) comrade!

I am a foreigner on a work permit that is tied to the employer. They want me to work in NJ for now. Already got leased up in North Plainfield. The rent is three fold.  Dang!! The work is for Verizon in Warren.

I really appreciate the help and kind words.

Bumpy road, PM me if you want. 

Catastroy, welcome to the area. It is ironic that gun rights are so much better in India than Jersey :( But as you have already found out there is a much wider variety of guns available in the US, even in Jersey ;)

I'm also a member at the IndiansforGuns.com forum. If you are not familiar with it, there are lots of expats there that live in the US. Best of luck and happy hunting!

Catastroy, welcome to the area. It is ironic that gun rights are so much better in India than Jersey :(

India better than NJ? Seems to me many calibers in India are prohibited. Limited choices of calibers and guns at inflated prices (can't let poor people own guns) only after jumping through more hoops than NJ ever though of.

India better than NJ? Seems to me many calibers in India are prohibited. Limited choices of calibers and guns at inflated prices (can't let poor people own guns) only after jumping through more hoops than NJ ever though of.

You get a license to own a gun, which is a simple matter (they have RKBA unlike NJ), you get to carry that gun in your state. ANYWHERE, anyway. Separate endorsement required to carry nationwide.

Do you know WHY countries, particularly India (which has RKBA unlike NJ), have banned calibers? I bet you don't, and I bet you would be really surprised to learn why.

And you can get Prohibited Bore gun licenses in India. The problem is ammo is harder to come by and more expensive.

The only problems they have in India are their arms import laws. They are similar to those of the US, but worse, and unfortunately India does not have much of a private firearms manufacturing infrastructure. It's an import law and industry issue.

Apparently even a 9mm semi-auto is considered Prohibited Bore and needs a "license" permit to sell or  buy (both parties), and is valid for 3 years.  BTW, the permit is only issued by Central Govt. 

Its fun reading the debate on comparing NJ and India. NJ Politicians must feel  proud. 

Came across this -  http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india/

-

You get a license to own a gun, which is a simple matter (they have RKBA unlike NJ), you get to carry that gun in your state. ANYWHERE, anyway. Separate endorsement required to carry nationwide.

Do you know WHY countries, particularly India (which has RKBA unlike NJ), have banned calibers? I bet you don't, and I bet you would be really surprised to learn why.

And you can get Prohibited Bore gun licenses in India. The problem is ammo is harder to come by and more expensive.

The only problems they have in India are their arms import laws. They are similar to those of the US, but worse, and unfortunately India does not have much of a private firearms manufacturing infrastructure. It's an import law and industry issue.

There's only about 4 guns per 100 people in India so it seems there are not too many people applying for a license or they don't approve that many applications.

You can apply to own prohibited calibers and types of firearms but based on the number of guns owned there are probably few owned.

The price of firearms in India doesnt allow poor people to buy guns.

Military coups. They don't want rouge military divisions to be able to gather munitions from the population.

Aint that some sh**? :)

You really believe caliber restrictions are to prevent rogue military divisions from getting ammo from the population? There are restrictions on ammo purchases. The few boxes of 9mm you might get from a citizen is no way to run a coup. More likely it's to prevent the people from acquiring more powerful military calibers. You can buy a bolt action 30-06 though.

There's only about 4 guns per 100 people in India so it seems there are not too many people applying for a license or they don't approve that many applications.

NJ has 12 % firearms ownership. Yippie! Must be people in New Jersey are not applying or not getting approved.

You can apply to own prohibited calibers and types of firearms but based on the number of guns owned there are probably few owned.

You really believe caliber restrictions are to prevent rogue military divisions from getting ammo from the population? There are restrictions on ammo purchases. The few boxes of 9mm you might get from a citizen is no way to run a coup. More likely it's to prevent the people from acquiring more powerful military calibers. You can buy a bolt action 30-06 though.

I've been talking to scores of them for years, and yes, I believe them more than you. I've read their laws and their history backwards and forwards. How many of them have you talked to and how much time have you spent reading their laws?

There is some more bad news about India. They don't have a Wegman's in every county and they don't have a CVS on every corner. Why don't you lecture me on their "food laws." It's a pretty crappy place, and their firearms industry is no better. It's mostly government.

Every person in India can carry a gun ANYWHERE. You can't carry a gun anywhere in Jersey. They have RKBA and you don't. If you are happier because you have a S&W you can't leave your house with, or an AR that you can't defend yourself with, and no way to defend yourself in public, then you sound like a gun collector to me.

I would rather live under India's firearms situation than under Jersey's any day of the week.

Typical Jersey. No idea what you are talking about but you know better about other cultures than they do.

Every person in India can carry a gun ANYWHERE. You can't carry a gun anywhere in Jersey. They have RKBA and you don't. If you are happier because you have a S&W you can't leave your house with, or an AR that you can't defend yourself with, and no way to defend yourself in public, then you sound like a gun collector to me.

I would rather live under India's firearms situation than under Jersey's any day of the week.

Have to agree with you on this...