Cecil Harvey

Muzzle-loader training/classes in northern NJ?

I'm interested in picking up a flint lock muzzle loader, but I feel like I need some training, as the operation seems quite different to modern firearms. Are there any instructors/classes in northern NJ? I typically go to Cherry Ridge to shoot, so if they're based out of there, that would be fantastic, but I'm willing to travel a bit.

They cover muzzle loaders during the firearms portion of the Hunter Safety course.  The coverage is fairly brief but I am sure those giving the test would address any additional questions you have and they give a good demonstration.

Might be an easy way to get started.  It was all I needed and I am by no means the sharpest tool in the shed!

I'm interested in picking up a flint lock muzzle loader, but I feel like I need some training, as the operation seems quite different to modern firearms. Are there any instructors/classes in northern NJ? I typically go to Cherry Ridge to shoot, so if they're based out of there, that would be fantastic, but I'm willing to travel a bit.

Best thing to do is to come out this Sunday to a Woods Walk to be held on a Farm in Vernon.  We shoot flintlocks and percussion, and for this Match we'll be working "out-of-the-pouch" shooting gongs, lengths of various widths of chain, reactive targets, etc. as we schlep thru the woods.  Match starts promptly at 9:00 am, directions available via PM if interested.  I'm the Chief Range Safety Officer of the Garden State Black Powder Association.  It's their Match.  If you already had the rifle, you could shoot it for just $10!  Interested yet, lol?

We have a Facebook page open to the public where you can see some photos from prior shoots.

PM me and we'll chat on the phone once you give me your cell number.

Dave

NRA Double Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle and Pistol

an old topic for sure, but i'd be glad to get anyone started in traditional muzzleloaders with personal one-on-one hands-on mentoring.  been in the trad ML game since the mid 50's.  some old guys know good stuff.  :) 

PM me here at this forum, or email me - [email protected]