JimB1

Somerset IDPA - Can you just go to watch?

Just wondering, I've seen a couple of these on TV but I thought it'd be cool to go and check one out. I might think about shooting one sometime but I think I'd need to get a better handle on what it's like.

I'm pretty sure if I wanted to I could use my P220 or 1911 for this sort of thing. I downloaded the beginners guide to check out requirements but it's not the same as just going and watching for a bit.

Any ideas on it?

Thanks

-Jim

I have seen people go and watch, but why not just jump in  - watching is boring.  If you feel confident that you can safely draw from a holster then you should just shoot it.  Go slow and be careful and don't expect to win - just have fun and learn.  Everyone there will be more than willing to help you, just let people know you are new to this.

I have seen people go and watch, but why not just jump in  - watching is boring.  If you feel confident that you can safely draw from a holster then you should just shoot it.  Go slow and be careful and don't expect to win - just have fun and learn.  Everyone there will be more than willing to help you, just let people know you are new to this.

Well, I don't own any holsters (or gun belts for that matter) and have never drawn from one so that's one reason not to jump right in... :)

-Jim

Everything you need...

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Tech-Competition-Shooters-Glock-Revolution/dp/B00FZ316IM/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440685799&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=blade+tech%2C+IDPA+Pak

plus three mags - four preferable. If you don't have enough, somebody can loan you some.

Read this sticky (if you haven't already)...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/37797-uspsa-idpa-a-synopsis-updated-03292015/

Everybody had a first time, once. See you there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Just wondering, I've seen a couple of these on TV but I thought it'd be cool to go and check one out. I might think about shooting one sometime but I think I'd need to get a better handle on what it's like.

I'm pretty sure if I wanted to I could use my P220 or 1911 for this sort of thing. I downloaded the beginners guide to check out requirements but it's not the same as just going and watching for a bit.

Any ideas on it?

Thanks

-Jim

Going to sumthin' as FUN as an IDPA Match and not shootin' it is akin to visiting the Bunny Ranch in Vegas without cash OR credit cards, lol!

I have everything ya need for a 1911:  .45 ACP mags, belt holster (right sided), mag pouches, etc.  All you need is your .45, a stiff belt for around yer waist (wearing pants w/ belt loops is required), and a coupla boxes of ammo (round count for 4 Stages is maxed-out at approx. 72 rounds).  If need be I can meet you somewhere and loan you the equipment.  I'm in the Sayreville area.........

Dave

Going to sumthin' as FUN as an IDPA Match and not shootin' it is akin to visiting the Bunny Ranch in Vegas without cash OR credit cards, lol!

I have everything ya need for a 1911:  .45 ACP mags, belt holster (right sided), mag pouches, etc.  All you need is your .45, a stiff belt for around yer waist (wearing pants w/ belt loops is required), and a coupla boxes of ammo (round count for 4 Stages is maxed-out at approx. 72 rounds).  If need be I can meet you somewhere and loan you the equipment.  I'm in the Sayreville area.........

Dave

Thanks for the offer Dave. Let me think about it.

Like I said, I have never used a holster and I don't think I am quite ready to jump in yet. I just want to get an idea of what is going on first. A lot of people say it's boring to watch but honestly I have been practicing for Bullseye shooting (poorly :) ) for the last three years and have watched, and helped out at, several matches without getting too bored so I doubt this will bore me LOL.

Now, Nascar, Tennis and Golf I get bored out of my mind watching, go figure (no flaming all you NASCAR, Golf and Tennis fans, to each their own ;) )

-Jim

Jim, you're more than welcome to come and watch. All the folks are friendly, and mostly harmless lol. You must have eye and hearing protection to come into the range.

Ask for me, Bob or Sandy when arrive and we'll get you acquainted. I recommend Sandy, she's better looking although Bob is probably the nicest.

Thanks for the offer Dave. Let me think about it.

Like I said, I have never used a holster and I don't think I am quite ready to jump in yet. I just want to get an idea of what is going on first. A lot of people say it's boring to watch but honestly I have been practicing for Bullseye shooting (poorly :) ) for the last three years and have watched, and helped out at, several matches without getting too bored so I doubt this will bore me LOL.

Now, Nascar, Tennis and Golf I get bored out of my mind watching, go figure (no flaming all you NASCAR, Golf and Tennis fans, to each their own ;) )

-Jim

I shoot Bullseye matches too. What club do you shoot at?

I shoot Bullseye matches too. What club do you shoot at?

I'm at Lake Island too but I haven't been shooting in the matches, just practicing at it. ;)

A few of the guys keep goading me to just do it even if my scores are horrible but I just am not that much of a massochist...

Maybe in the fall when they are back to shooting RVPL in Carteret, if I am going to embarrass myself, might as well just be at my home range and not make the club look bad. LOL

-Jim

I'm at Lake Island too but I haven't been shooting in the matches, just practicing at it. ;)

A few of the guys keep goading me to just do it even if my scores are horrible but I just am not that much of a massochist...

Maybe in the fall when they are back to shooting RVPL in Carteret, if I am going to embarrass myself, might as well just be at my home range and not make the club look bad. LOL

-Jim

Lake is small, I must know you. I shoot the winter league, never have time to make it down for the summer matches. I'll probably be at Lake tomorrow for a few hours.

You should definitely shoot RVPL. Participating in matches is the best way to improve. It also helps you see what you really need to work on. And Lake is really casual. Then, once you're comfortable, you can try a center fire 900 match on a Friday night.

Don't worry about your score when you start. I was shooting sub 200 National Match Courses my first few weeks. By the end if my first season I was hitting high 270's. You just need to jump in do it.

What is rvpl. And 900 match.

RVPL = Raritan Valley Pistol League

900 match is a bullseye match type and can be 22lr or center fire (usually 45 acp but I think for 900 matches you can use 38 super or 38 special as well but most use 45) 900 being the max score so 90 shots to the match. At Lake Island it is always 25 yard indoor slow, timed and rapid fire. Bullseye s also a one handed shooting match.

From Bullseyepistol.com:

"NRA conventional pistol competition consists of firing slow, timed, and rapid fire. This is done at 50 and 25 yards outdoors and almost exclusively at 50 feet indoors. Generally an outdoor match will consist of 20 shots, slow fire at 50 yards (2 10-shot strings, 10 minutes per string), 20 shots, timed fire at 25 yards (4 5-shot strings, 20 seconds per string), 20 shots, rapid fire at 25 yards (4 5-shot strings, 10 seconds per string), and the National Match Course (10-shots, slow fire at 50 yards, 10-shots timed fire, and 10-shots rapid fire). This match consists of 90-shots for a possible aggregate total of 900 points. For a 2700 aggregate this match is fired once with each gun; .22 caliber rimfire, centerfire, and .45 caliber. Many match programs call for only one or two guns, that is a 900 or 1800 aggregate."

It's a fun, but really challenging type of shooting but requires a lot of concentration and skill to play it well. At the up side, after you shoot at 25 yards for a while 10 yard shots are pretty simple. A lot of the better shooters are pretty ambidextrous too and can shoot strong or weak hand equally well. (Not me ;))

-Jim