MidwestPX

Improving powder measure consistency

One of the biggest challenges I have noticed loading on my 1050 with a short extruded powder such as H4895 is charge consistency. I've already polished and slicked up the moving components of my powder measure as well as the metallic base of the measure. I threw 100 charges and measured each one (left side) then I added a small aquarium air pump to the base of the measure to give it constant vibration then threw another 100 charges (right side).

5XvrurJ.jpg

So while the consistency (SD) improved, the extreme spread is still pretty ugly (though also improved slightly). I'm not surprised that the charges got heavier after attaching the pump since the vibration should compact the powder charge slightly. Looking at the counts, 58 of the charges were within +/-.1gr of the target prior to adding the pump. It looks like the vibration added about .1gr so if we look at 24.8 as the target, 73% of the charges were within +/-.1gr. So definite improvement however the extreme still concerns me and I'm not sure how to tackle that short of changing out for a different measure such as a Quick Measure or changing to a ball powder (and in turn gain temperature sensitivity). Does anyone have any ideas?

Are you using the standard powder bar? Get one of the uniquetek micrometer powder bar upgrades, they have a finer thread and are more precise. If nothing else you can repeat multiple measurements quickly.

That and slide measures tend to prefer ball powders but you probably already know that.

Funny, I find 4895 to be one of my more accurate powders.

I saw someone on arfcom attach a... Male worn intimate vibrating ring to a powder thrower to increase the consistency of his 3.5 grain 380 loads. Similar to the pump you are using.

I've considered it, but I don't want people to think I'm more weird lol.

I find reducing static helps.  Along with graphite treatment, I wipe down the powder measure, esp. plastic parts with a dryer anti-static sheet helps a lot to stop powder from clinging.  I also use a bridge in the powder measure to help reduce compression/weight issues with the powder in the hopper.

Are you using the standard powder bar? Get one of the uniquetek micrometer powder bar upgrades, they have a finer thread and are more precise. If nothing else you can repeat multiple measurements quickly.

That and slide measures tend to prefer ball powders but you probably already know that.

I considered the Uniquetek but I thought that the benefit was quicker/easier adjustments, not necessarily improving consistency?

I find reducing static helps.  Along with graphite treatment, I wipe down the powder measure, esp. plastic parts with a dryer anti-static sheet helps a lot to stop powder from clinging.  I also use a bridge in the powder measure to help reduce compression/weight issues with the powder in the hopper.

I grounded my machine.

I considered the Uniquetek but I thought that the benefit was quicker/easier adjustments, not necessarily improving consistency?

For one thing the thread is finer, so you are getting more control over the adjustment. The other thing is that the inner slider or whatever it is called, actually rocks up and down a bit and that is bound to add some variance. It seems to me to rock less withe Uniquetek gadget.  

All I can tell you is that in my case the consistency of drop improved quite a bit once I switch to it. I can't promise that it would be your experience, but for me it is worth every penny.

I grounded my machine.

Believe it or not i found grounding my drop does absolutely nothing. Only thing that stopped the cling was graphite for me and its simple and re-usable. I had powder clinging right in the measuring hole and at the throat of where its dropped. I tried grounding and dryer sheets and a air pump, but the graphite was the only thing that solved the issue.. my throws became very consistent.

I'm going to try 8208 after I exhaust my supply of H4895. The kernels are shorter and should meter more accurately. I'm still on the fence with the Uniquetek micrometer. I asked this same question elsewhere and a guy I know to really be on top of loading with a 1050 (he does it commercially), said the Uniquetek won't do anything for me and if I really want a more consistent throw, I need to change powders. He also suggested a metronome to help me maintain a consistent pull of the handle.

This may sound crazy but have you considered trying a hornady or rcbs powder measure? They are supposed to work better with extruded compared to the dillon's..

Yep but for how much it would cost to make them case-activated, I'd be money-ahead by buying a Quick Measure which is guaranteed to be +/-.1gr

Circling back on this, I changed powders to IMR 8208XBR to see if the smaller kernels would improve consistency.

Without pump running, H4895 Avg/SD/ES: 24.7 / 0.17 / 0.8

With pump running, H4895 Avg/SD/ES: 24.8 / 0.125 / 0.7

Without pump running, 8208 Avg/SD/ES: 25.5 / 0.072 / 0.3

With pump running, 8208 Avg/SD/ES: 25.6 / 0.110 / 0.4

It looks like I'll be loading with 8208 going forward.

I tried grounding my Hornady LnL thinking it would help with powder clinging to the hopper walls. Nope. I was going to try anti-static dyer sheets but first tried loading up the hopper almost halfway and shaking the hopper to get the powder all over the walls. That actually works great. I also run a little graphite thru at the beginning of each session, too.