Lecky

Old bridge

I been a member at old bridge for several years but the last 2 years I might have logged 8 range days, I'm having a hard time justifying the yearly dues and work hrs adding to over $500 when I hardly go. Between work and my kids activities I can't find the time to get there. Has anyone else ever had this issue, and if so what did you do?

It is philosophical question. How bad do you want it?

I have work with long unpredictable hours, bunch of kids from diapers to teenager and in between, photography, crossfit and shooting. Somehow it all works together. Of course it helps that both obrpc ranges are 5 minutes away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shquazmK8BE

Most of the events on weekends are a whole day affair and you spend it mostly walking and waiting and not much shooting. I just got a shotgun to do sporting clays. Event is quick, and plenty of shooting. There is also PPC on weekdays, precision tactical rimfire etc.

Have yo considered participating in the events? They can be quite fun, I hear.

I'm in the same boat --  Been to OBRPC 4 times this year -- haven't done a single work hour yet this year

Usually I have all my hours done by the start of summer -- just can't find the time off work and it doesn't make sense to take a day off to save $15 per hour 

I find the events both fun and aggravating -- try sighting in your woodchuck gun early on a sunday -- hard to do without stepping on someones toes

I do shoot as many of the events as I can but it's almost always a long day with, at the most, 10 minutes of trigger time - the upside is it's always with some great people

I think one of the major factors in keeping me away from sunday events this year has been the heat --

This weekend Deer season starts -- Sundays , in the woods with my son, with a couple of bows -- that's a hard day to beat 

IMHO it's all about time management as far as Sunday range availability outside.  And bringing more than a single type of firearm to practice with, for example:

On the 1st and 3rd Sundays Shotgun, Static Steel, and Black Powder are running simultaneously beginning at 9:00 am.  Shotgun is usually over by Noon, so bring a scattergun, birds, thrower and clays and do that till either Static Steel or Black Powder is finished.  If Black Powder finishes first (usually by 2:00pm or so), then shoot from the 100 yard line and do your sight-ins next.  If Steel is done first, then claim a pit and set-up some targets.  Last Sunday I was the LAST person to leave the outdoor range after EVERYONE was already gone.  The place was a Ghost Town before 3:00pm, with over 4 HOURS of daylight left to have fun with.  

Do your Honey-Do stuff in the mornings.  Take the family out for brunch after going to church.  Then come-out and "play".....

Second Sunday is IDPA and High Power, both starting at 9:00 am.  IDPA uses the Chrono Pit, Pit #1,2,3,4, and sometimes #5.  Often Pit #6 (50 yards) is available for plinking and sighting-in.  Shotgun range is available ALL DAY LONG.  100 yard range is available usually before Noon, since High Power uses a 50 shot COF from the National match Course.

Fourth Sunday is USPSA and they have the entire Range!  So yeah, one Sunday a month it's tied-up for the entire day.

If there's a 5th Sunday, the range is usually wide-open.

OH, and did I mention while you're waiting to shoot, you can eat a picnic lunch, have a cigar or drive across Rt. 516 to the Bagel Boy or Krispy Pizza?

It's all in how and what you do on Sunday mornings.  Worst case, show-up and make new friends by shooting a League........

I can understand the frustration for guys that do not want to do competition style shooting, yet want to go out for plinking on a sunday. Though, the club makes it abundantly clear at new member orientation that OBRPC is a club that is heavy into competition shooting, and that most the range is scheduled out to a league on certain days.

It's sort of like the guy who buys a house next to a gun range, and then complains that there is noise of gunfire. 

Actually most of the time the 100 yard range and the shotgun range are available during the USPSA matches. 

I stand corrected!  Thanks Vlad, as I didn't realize this!  I guess we need to edit the club newsletter to show this?  Currently it's listed as Range #7 always being open for use during USPSA.  Doesn't mention Shotgun Range when you click on the calendar for more info.  Maybe the removal of the old boardwalk helps the parking situation enough that we can change the wording?  Do you guys have more room since the work party did its' thing? 

Another question... When there is an agreement to cease fire and head down range to change targets, can you walk down range with your rifle slung tight to your body, safety flag in chamber, and mag removed or do you need to leave your rifle at the firing line bench?

http://www.obrpc.org/outdoor_range_rules.htm

Thanks.

Either that or he was concerned about a mountain lion walking off with his $5k worth of scar mods and optics. BTW, it appeared to be a member's guest as I did not see a club ID.

I have seen other members solo practice transition shooting from single point carry to a sidearm draw and visa versa down the 50 yard range.