AverageJoe

Meltzer's Closing After 100 Years

Grew up in Elmood park bout 10min away...Sad to hear bout them closing up shop. "Once you shop Meltzer, you'll go nowhere eltzer" ...brings me right back to childhood.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/small-business/sporting-goods-store-to-close-its-doors-after-100-years-1.1406131

Bought my first HK there many moons ago... and yea, Bob worked on a couple of my guns...

Back "in the day"  It was Meltzer's and Garfield Gunsmithing right around the corner.

Bobby Storms of Garfield Gunsmithing is still alive in Lake Havasu, AZ

Last time I was in there Billy was telling me how difficult it was to compete with the big box stores and internet sales for firearms. In their heyday, they were great; they carried everything. Been going there since the 60's. It will be a shame to see them go. 

Their "layaway" plan on firearms and bows was the best. 

Yep, Ricky Storms re-blued a rifle for me years ago.  

Reading the article... This kinda stuck out as odd to me....

"Meltzer said his grandparents lived above the store until they died. The upstairs space is now used to keep gun purchasing records of every gun they've ever sold. Meltzer said the gun records go as far back as 1947 from before he was born."

Thought after 20years(now) that records at pos were to be destroyed?....

I overheard a rumor that Meltzers was closing because Cabelas was supposed to open up at the Meadowlands, but I thought Cabelas was a no-go.  Also overheard that the owners sons sadly didn't want to take over the business.

Going to miss that place

Back "in the day"  It was Meltzer's and Garfield Gunsmithing right around the corner.

No way the old man is still alive?!?! Hes a good man. Cant say that much for  Ricky though. We used to do a lot of color case for them.

I overheard a rumor that Meltzers was closing because Cabelas was supposed to open up at the Meadowlands, but I thought Cabelas was a no-go.  Also overheard that the owners sons sadly didn't want to take over the business.

Going to miss that place

I worked on that monstrosity . Cabelas pulled out years ago. East Rutherford was not going to allow gun sales from what i was told and the rent was astronomical. To much red tape and BS typical of NJ

No way the old man is still alive?!?! Hes a good man. Cant say that much for  Ricky though. We used to do a lot of color case for them.

Bobby Storms (Garfield Gunsmithing) IS still alive!!!!

Lost his wife I believe but he stays at my brother-in laws house in Scottsdale routinely.

Ricky is lost in space.  He had some problems we won't talk about.

Bobby Storms (Garfield Gunsmithing) IS still alive!!!!

Lost his wife I believe but he stays at my brother-in laws house in Scottsdale routinely.

Ricky is lost in space.  He had some problems we won't talk about.

Wow good to hear he is alive and well.He was always a good guy. Yeah i know ricky well . Nice kid just a lost soul.

If you should happen to contact him please tell him Carl Heinzelman son says hello

I remember my going there with my Dad in the 50's when Izzy was still in the store.

It was the place to go for everything.

Got my first rifle, shotgun, revolver and pistol there.

Took my 45 Gold Cup around the corner to have Bob Storms do a bit of work on it.

I had heard they were going out because none of the heirs had an interest in it.

I've stopped in a few times and always left empty handed

Was in there a few weeks ago to check out the sale, sale prices seemed higher then retail for most things.

Did get to watch a hilarious exchange of a family trying to sell a beretta and a sig back to them that they bought 20 years ago and "never used" and couldn't figure out the whole we offer half of list and won't take your accessories thing.

Bought most of my early guns there,   The old man always had a saying when he rung up your sale.  " The register rings and Meltzer sings" was one I remember, also remember once the total came to $19.20    "$19.20 and Mr Meltzer gets his money"  seemed to have one for every price.

I worked on that monstrosity . Cabelas pulled out years ago. East Rutherford was not going to allow gun sales from what i was told and the rent was astronomical. To much red tape and BS typical of NJ

From what I understand, a lot of it had/has to do with Bergen County's Blue Law and having to close on Sundays.

I'm glad they're closing. Always over priced and never wanted to negotiate even $10 off. With that being said I've purchased 5 guns from them. I try to support my local gun stores but they were always DB's. Hoping when they close someone else buys up the store and reopens under another name.

Why do people think that prices are negotiable? Do you walk into a Walmart, Target or Safeway and ask to buy their products at a cheaper price?

They must have been doing something right for 100 years selling at "higher prices". Don't like it, shop somewhere else, but somebody has to be the most expensive.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Why do people think that prices are negotiable? Do you walk into a Walmart, Target or Safeway and ask to buy their products at a cheaper price?

They must have been doing something right for 100 years selling at "higher prices". Don't like it, shop somewhere else, but somebody has to be the most expensive.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Paul- Agreed!   Let me tell you these guys are bashing but My dad bought an aluminum framed High Standard revolver from Meltzer's. (mistake POS)

The rear sight loosed up and he went back to the store.  They sent him right around the corner to Bobby Storms and he squared it away and he left with his revolver.

Try that with an internet or big box store.

Meltzers put my first AR in my hands back in 2010, good memory. I always had a positive experience in Meltzers, although i think because of my young age I got brushed over on a few things.. I haven't been there in a long time though, and it's has to be hard now that the area is becoming saturated in high end shops with big box stores and now the internet.