DirtyDigz

Educate me on 9mm CZ's

The CZ-75B is a nice gun for IDPA.  It comes in a model with a safety, so you can shoot it cocked and locked in ESP OR manually decock it and shoot it in SSP as well.  They are fairly inexpensive and you can do a lot of customer work on them.  BTW those are two of mine below:

I have gone a little CZ crazy in the last year bought 5.They feel right in my hand and are more accurate then I am. I have a CZ Custom Accu Shadow very accurate but expensive. PCR is a compact version on the 75. Rami which is sub compact. P-09 is polymer frame really handles nice would make a great IDPA gun fairly cheap too. Those are all in 9mm. I shoot regularly in Lakewood if you would like to try one out.

Not in my experience, but it's still something I hate to see - especially with inexperienced shooters.  It's just something for me to be more aware of.

Not that I've been competing much in the past year and a half since my kid was born :)

I have a CZ-75 SP01 Shadow from CZ Custom.  Great trigger on it and love the feel in the hand.  Best $880 I ever spent on a gun.  CZ Custom has fantastic customer service.

http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-SP01-SHADOW-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx

I have a CZ Custom Accu Shadow very accurate but expensive.

That's next on my list.

As a USPSA RO, I cringe every time I see a CZ and someone manually decocking it... your fingers slip - BANG!

I'm an RO and SO, and I have never seen anyone have one go off accidently decocking it - but anything is possible.  There are a lot worse things than that which I have seen.  Although I will tell you I did freak out a new RO one day when I manually decocked mine as he had never seen anyone do it and he was ready to stop me.

I'm an RO and SO, and I have never seen anyone have one go off accidently decocking it - but anything is possible.  There are a lot worse things than that which I have seen.  Although I will tell you I did freak out a new RO one day when I manually decocked mine as he had never seen anyone do it and he was ready to stop me.

Oh yeah - definitely worse things but when you have time to sit and watch - It's just something that always bugged me.  PROBABLY not going to happen but it's kind of asking for it compared to guns with decockers...

As a USPSA RO, I cringe every time I see a CZ and someone manually decocking it... your fingers slip - BANG!

Yes.  This was in practice with someone I know.  I told him not to do it again.  It never happened again fortunately.

Although I will tell you I did freak out a new RO one day when I manually decocked mine as he had never seen anyone do it and he was ready to stop me.

Haha, that was probably me.  I was definitely freaked out the first time I saw that.

P09 can be user set Safety or decocker.

I was thinking of getting a P09 in 9mm but don't like the 10 round mags and they don't make 15 rounders.

Yes.  This was in practice with someone I know.  I told him not to do it again.  It never happened again fortunately.

Yep - I knew it would happen sometime to someone - good thing it was only in practice.

Which of the 9mm models have 15rd mags available?

CZ 75/85 9MM MAGAZINE 15RD MECGAR

FITS FULL SIZED 75B,75B SA, 85B, 85 COMBAT & ALL SP-01 MODELS

I have a CZ-85 Combat and an SP-01 Shadow Target.
Changed the front site on the 85 to a fiber optic.
I like the FO front and adjustable rear combination on most of my guns. They both take 15 round mags.

Have the Kadet 22lr upper on the 85 currently, shoots well with mini-mags.

The CZ75B/D has a pin block so I don't think it can fire while decocking, even if your 

thumb slips. Am I wrong on this........????

How so?  If it's got an automatic decocker, it has the pin block.  If you have to manually decock the gun, you need to pull the trigger to decock... 

A CZ 75BD has a Decocker so there is no need to pull the trigger to decock it.......

But you cannot shoot a gun with a decocker in ESP, you need a safety for that which is why I like the 75B or SP01 with a safety.

Ok naive question. When I was shopping for 9mms I specifically looked for models (like my fave, the SP01 Tactical) with decockers. I also insisted on the option of double action for the first shot although the likelihood that would ever matter to me is quite remote.

Is that configuration considered unmanly, or not competition-worthy?

(BTW still not a single failure on that gun or my CZ82, and I didn't clean the SP01 before taking it out). 

Ok naive question. When I was shopping for 9mms I specifically looked for models (like my fave, the SP01 Tactical) with decockers. I also insisted on the option of double action for the first shot although the likelihood that would ever matter to me is quite remote.

Is that configuration considered unmanly, or not competition-worthy?

(BTW still not a single failure on that gun or my CZ82, and I didn't clean the SP01 before taking it out). 

There is nothing wrong with a decocker rather than a safety, it's just not my cup of tea.  I think the versions with safeties are more versatile as they can be shot cocked and locked in ESP for IDPA or Limited or Limited 10 in USPSA.  The advantage shooting that way is you don't have to deal with the double action pull on the first shot.  If you are only going to shoot production or SSP then the decocker models are fine.

I know I'm in the minority here but I love shooting my Baby Desert Eagle in SSP. Its essentially a CZ clone with 15rd magazines. Slide mounted safety/decocker makes things a little more difficult than normal but I manage. I just chamber a round with the safety on, then disengage the safety before holstering. No reason to drop a hammer.

You don't see a lot of DA/SA guns in competition for a reason - it's harder to modify them to run "faster" (lighter trigger pull, shorter reset, etc).  Guns that have a constant trigger pull are much easier to do this on.  

Point of order: DA/SA guns like the CZ and Tanfo currently dominate production division, they flatten out when compared with 2011's but they sure seem to work fine over striker fired and DA only guns