pjd832

opinions on a club application form....

so a friend is a member of a private gun club...and I've gone a couple times as his guest in a 3 year span...unfortunately our schedules conflict so i considered joining to be able to go whenever....and while i get the "their house their rules" etc....theres a few things in their application process that i have issues with....aside from a mandatory nra membership...is providing my social security number and driver license number.... then the requirement of providing employer name/address/contact number/supervisor/position held.....for some thats not really an option....then there's a release form for giving permission for "xyz investigative services"...to inquire into my "personal history to obtain information"?? a copy and paste of a portion of the form...  

hereby allow "xyz"Services to inquire into my personal history to obtain information. I cannot claim any invasion of privacy against them now or in the future. I agree to provide positive identification in conjunction with this application. 

seems awfully intrusive ...the "investigative service" phone number on the form is not in service....and upon googling the name came up with nothing...looking up the phone number yields several unrelated "businesses" using the same not in service number....having never been a member of any other private gun clubs before....is this standard?...and I'm just reading it wrong...or is it a little off?

Join Range 14 and tell the Beverlyhillbilly clubs to go fuck themselves.  They all cry about how intrusive the government is on our 2A rights then they go and do this., yeah, they can go scratch.  I talk to people all over free America and they are appalled to hear what it takes to join a club here in NJ.

Some private clubs (regardless of purpose, be it shooting, golf, crocheting) will use that sort of language to turn away people or have reason to turn away people ("Sorry, our investigation has discovered some details about your past that we don't like, such as you being black"). 

This may or may not be the case with this club, but certainly has been with other such clubs. In some ways, I don't care, it is their club their rules, and if you are ok with freedom you are ok with people deciding what to do with their private property, but I'm pretty sure I would never join them.

Your thoughts are not unlike others. The only thing is, As said above Their club their rules.

That being said, The club that I believe you are refering to is open to the public.

For the clay ranges, You dont have to have A member with you in order to shoot Sporting Clays, Trap,Skeet,and 5 stand.

But you do need to be A member to shoot on the pistol and rifle ranges by yourself.

I am not A member there  but do shoot there A lot on the Clay fields.

Hope this helps.

by the way they have A challenging sporting clay course

thanks for all the responses guys...and i agree with the "their house their rules"....and i was just wondering if that was standard for private nj clubs which i now see its not...its a shame as its not very far from me...chk37 thanks for the info on the shotgun shoots..i have another friend that does those on wed nights and is not a member he just pays the $5 or whatever for the night.. the rifle/pistol ranges would have been my reason for joining...as i don't have any sporting shotguns.....

for shooting with non work friends I've been going to a public range in md..which is pretty nice aside from weekend crowds...if you time your visits ..you can pretty much have the place to yourself...and at $50 a year with unlimited access open sunrise to sunset 365 days a year its not bad...downsides are its a 45-60 min drive...and post 10/01/2013(safe act/sb 281) is worrisome for most people going into md with mrs's....and finally only a 100 yrd rifle range.....i did find a range not far out of middletown de down 301 thats out to 800 yrds i believe...but again in md and kinda far....

I've tried calling several times and get no answer....i may continue to try and contact the club and see how "strictly" they follow the application process...since as mentioned it may be a "good ole boys" method to keep out "undesirables" which i am not ... i would like to join but not going to provide unnecessary info that compromises personal security 

i would like to join but not going to provide unnecessary info that compromises personal security 

Thing is though, all they need is your name and they can find out all the rest of the information. A background check is a background check and you'd be surprised how often they happen now. The reality is plenty of people have access to your SSN and employment history and the odds are the company doing the background check can look it up weather you like it not.

I very much doubt anything about the process would compromise your personal security.

The thing to worry about is how many people can get to do some identify theft, and the answer is almost all of them.

shawn...i appreciate the "background check" process..if its a criminal check...for which the social security number is not necessary ....and the release reads more like a general background check....which i don't see as needed.....i don't want unnecessary/continued inquiries on my credit report from a gun club/ some"uncle bucks private eye company" with a half a dozen other ventures attached to the same disconnected phone number......i  actually saw they had a nra "recruiters" table set up at cabelas last night when i was grabbing some items and offering a $25 gift card with new/renewals so i swallowed my disdain for them and got the membership for $10...so let the battle begin with spam/propaganda/pandering for donations..lol 

Thing is though, all they need is your name and they can find out all the rest of the information. A background check is a background check and you'd be surprised how often they happen now. The reality is plenty of people have access to your SSN and employment history and the odds are the company doing the background check can look it up weather you like it not.

I very much doubt anything about the process would compromise your personal security.

The thing to worry about is how many people can get to do some identify theft, and the answer is almost all of them.

i get what you're saying and would be ok with a "criminal" check.....but not signing an open ended release giving carte blanche for jim bob to dig around in my personal life ......which without my consent is not legal......

Not really.

thank you...i did not know that....i believed short of official criminal investigation by an actual fed/local le agency that consent would have to be given ......of course I'm not referring to employers googling someones name/social media site searches... i meant a licensed investigator (assuming jim bob is licensed) would have to have had consent for a non criminal "background" investigation performed on request by a third party 

Quinton has been running background checks and requiring members to be NRA members for years. I'm pretty sure my club started running checks on new members too

SJSC requires you to be a member of the NRA as an affiliated club but never ever check again on your renewals.

shawn...i appreciate the "background check" process..if its a criminal check...for which the social security number is not necessary ....and the release reads more like a general background check....which i don't see as needed.....i don't want unnecessary/continued inquiries on my credit report from a gun club/ some"uncle bucks private eye company" with a half a dozen other ventures attached to the same disconnected phone number......i  actually saw they had a nra "recruiters" table set up at cabelas last night when i was grabbing some items and offering a $25 gift card with new/renewals so i swallowed my disdain for them and got the membership for $10...so let the battle begin with spam/propaganda/pandering for donations..lol 

These flippin' guys call me once a month asking for a donation.  5.2 million members at $25/year...  125,000,000 a year and they need donations?  Little corrupt, maybe?

USANA is a quick an easy join on either Saturday or Sunday.  Skip, the proprietor, will just give you a 45 minute rundown of the rules, the property and the club and you just sign a paper and go shoot the same day.  Longest range they have is 100 yards, tho... so that's a drawback.

I don't think credit is involved. They just don't want any felons around.

if thats the case...do they re run it yearly?...im sure quite a few various clubs members become "prohibited persons" each year through poor decisions ....

lol @ providing a picture...wow......as if its a blue blood country club....so if you're not "attractive" enough you aren't worthy of membership?... too funny

Let in a couple people off the list every few years as members die. Place is always clean, never a line at the range, bar is likeminded individuals, stuff doesn't get stolen from the beach while you are in the water. The club is perfect the way it is

i personally know a few members of your club of questionable moral character/with legal situations/dui's....but since they probably haven't stolen a beach chair or are on the wrong side of the fantasy football bar talk thats ok right? lol

and most importantly its a mountain lion free area if I'm not mistaken ?...lol

They just started the back ground check thing a few years ago. Dui and felonies are 2 different things. Put in an app after a burglary charge or possession with intent and see if they are approved.

i was not referring to your club in my original post.....but when you listed the requirements for your utopian club i was pointing out that its selective...there is a requirement for "good moral character" and a photo? for what to have a "certain look" or not a "crazy look"?...yet your club has multiple dui violators but "dui's and felonies are 2 different things"......id have to somewhat disagree both show poor judgement and lack of rational thinking and furthermore concern for life....getting into a fist fight and trash talking can result in a felony......so thats a no go by your standard....yet making the conscious decision to drink and becoming impaired then climbing into a 2 ton missile/weapon and risking countless innocents going about their daily lives ...and being cited for such is not a compromise of good moral character?.....why is that?...because the club has a bar?....because the club officers all dui?...because none have killed anyone (yet) while dui'ing?.....its not a personal attack on you or your club.....but rather the double standards..ridiculous requirements..of the good ole boys clubs