mustang69

Discussion - "10 Best Semi-Auto Handguns of All Time"

Looking to get some discussion going 'cause it seems like the forums have been quiet lately...

The September issue of GunDigest has an article titled "10 Best Semi-Auto Handguns of All Time".  The author (Brad Fitzpatrick) lists them as follows:

Browning Hi-Power

CZ 75

Sig P226

Smith & Wesson Mdl 41

Beretta M9/92

Walther P38

Ruger MKI/II/III

Walther PP/PPK

Glock 17/19

Colt 1911

How many do you have?  Do you agree with the list?  What would you add or remove?

Of the 10 I have 6, with lots of duplicates.  I don't have the Browning, the S&W or either Walther.  

The Browning is on my short list but not the other 3.  I wouldn't have put either Walther on the list - the PPK does nothing for me, and if the P38 was so good why are they no longer produced or copied?

I would have considered the Walther PPQ for the list since that is one of the first semi-autos to focus on ergonomics and really hit the mark.  

Thoughts?

Best at what? The whole concept seem ridiculous to me.

Some what true Vlad.  The original design of these pistols have different intents.

Browning Hi-Power - defense military

CZ 75 - defense military

Sig P226 - defense military

Smith & Wesson Mdl 41 - target

Beretta M9/92 - defense military

Walther P38 - defense military

Ruger MKI/II/III - target

Walther PP/PPK - defense personal

Glock 17/19  - defense military

Colt 1911 - defense military

I own the red ones and have only put myself at risk with the Hi-Power many years ago.

There's over a 100 years of evolution on that list. Design has changed during that time.  The HP was the best I could find as a defense gun years ago.

Today I standardize on GLOCKs and like design and also a  92fs.  These are relatively modern designs.

Yep that's one of the reasons that list is bogus

M and P should be on there as well as some Smith & Wesson wheel guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it is a list of the 10 best semi-autos...

There are times to ask permission, and times to ask for forgiveness...

I asked for forgiveness on the ak project, gp100, and the mossberg 500, one of which she thinks I bought a year after I did and the other 2 were to good of a deal to pass up...

I haven't yet told her about the t53 or the k98.....

Well, how do you make a "top" list? 

Is it craftsmanship? 

Durability?

historical significance?

Influence of the design? 

Popularity?

Performance? 

Is it a combination of all of them? 

Two I know make the list for most of them would be the 1911, and the glock 17. The 1911 just checks everything and did so for a long time. THe glock caused a huge paradigm shift in the industry and the market.  One could also argue for a slot for a wonder nine, but which one? The S&W model 59 was older than the 92 and cz-75. Past those, I don't know what I'd pick. They fall off a lot in historical significance, influence, etc. pretty fast. 

If we're being specific, of the 6 categories I have 16:

CZ 75 - A CZ75 Compact 9mm, a CZ85 Combat 9mm, a Baby Desert Eagle .40s&w (clone)

Sig P226 - A P226 9mm and p229 .40s&w (cousin per Wiki)

Beretta M9/92 - 92FS Inox

Ruger MKI/II/III - 22/45 Lite

Glock 17/19 - G19

Colt 1911 - Colt Novak custom .45, Sig TacOps .45, Sig PCS .45, S&W E-Series .45, Kimber Stainless Pro-Carry II .45, Para GI Expert .45, RIA Tactical 9mm, GSG .22lr

Shameless plug - the Para is listed in the marketplace...

I don't agree with everything on the list but it's not my list, it's the authors.  We can always start a "Best Wheel Guns" version...

Own 7/10

Missing:

Browning: On the list

SW: Never heard of it before just now.

Walther: I've looked at em but never pulled the trigger

I don't really agree much with the list though.  Of the guns listed the only one I love is the 226.  I like my cz75, MK3 is ok, 92 is ok, hate my g19, My p38 and Colt 1911 are historical items that I don't shoot.  Personally I find much better options in the current 1911 market than Colt.