diablo2424

New guy from Ocean County

Hello everyone, I'm new to shooting, I recently acquired my FID card and am waiting for my first P2P to come back.  I live in Brick, so right on the border of Monmouth County and have been shooting once with my neighbor at the old Brick Armory.

I had the opportunity to shoot his three handguns, Ruger 22/45 Mark III, S&W M&P 9mm Compact (hated) and Springfield XD 45 ACP.  I have since been doing my research and have decided that I want to use my two P2P's (once approved - submitted in late July, so we'll see how long they take) to pick up a Ruger SR22 and a .45, I want to go shoot the Glock 21 Gen 4 and the S&W M&P 45.  Also, at some point I would like to pick up a Ruger 10/22 Rifle to tinker with and modify to personalize it, as they seem to be very reliable as well as there are MANY aftermarket options.  I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to leave anything stock, and I love taking things apart and modifying them, so I figured I'll pickup the 10/22 for that purpose so I don't mess with the handguns, lol.

I have a few friends who work in law enforcement, one of which said he can take me to an outdoor range in Wall somewhere, as I've heard that outdoor ranges are much better.  Unfortunately CJRPC is a bit out of my price range (for now) so I'm planning on sticking to Garden State Shooting Center, as it's very close to me and the one time I went into Shore Shot I had awful customer service, unlike the great service I received at GSSC during my first visit there.

I hope to learn a lot on here, it seems like there's a lot of information on the forums as well as some knowledgeable people!

Thanks everyone for the welcome, good to see a few members nearby as well!

Hi there ! I live in Lakewood. GSSC is a nice place and they just posted a discount on membership for NJGF members.

I saw that while browsing around, that's awesome!  I'll definitely take them up on that offer!

Welcome to the board!

I have an SR-22 and an SR-45 you are more than welcome to try out, I shoot at CJRPC and can guest you in.  I have a few other toys we can try as well!

Awesome, thank you so much!  We'll have to plan it out sometime that I can take the ride out there.

For outdoor shooting on a budget, look into Range 14 at Fort Dix. $60 a year or so, plus $4 per person, per hour. 

For outdoor shooting for free, get your hunting license every year (not quite free) and shoot at the WMA at Stafford Forge (Rt. 539 in LEHT).  I get there somedays and I have the place to myself. No handguns are allowed at WMAs, but you can shoot .22s, .17s, black powder and shotguns all the live long day.

For outdoor shooting on a budget, look into Range 14 at Fort Dix. $60 a year or so, plus $4 per person, per hour. 

For outdoor shooting for free, get your hunting license every year (not quite free) and shoot at the WMA at Stafford Forge (Rt. 539 in LEHT).  I get there somedays and I have the place to myself. No handguns are allowed at WMAs, but you can shoot .22s, .17s, black powder and shotguns all the live long day.

Welcome from Monmouth county!

I agree Range14 is a great place for the price but the membership only allows shooting on Wed, Sat and Sun and Fri on certain months. As always make sure you are there prior to 8am on the weekends cuz if not then you'll prob end up waiting for two hours for the next available spot opens up or just show up at 10:30am.

Hours listed below.

Hours of Operation: 

Wednesday 1:00-8:00pm 

Friday 1:00-8:00pm (April - December Only)

Saturday & Sunday 8:00am - 4:00pm

Garden State Shooting Center is a really great place to go shooting. I joined a 1 year membership when I was there in July for the Grand Opening celebration. GSSC is at least a million times better than the "old store" that was there. The range has a fully functioning ventilation system, unlike 1 time at the old store, I went to the range in July & was "sweating my ass off". GSSC also has the target carriers that actually go downrange & back when you press the button. If you do decide to go join there, I guarantee that you will not regret it. The store has a fully stocked gun case with anything that you can possibly want to look at.