Texas Shooter

Kalishnakov AK-47

I've looking at getting my first AK.  I thought about a WASR-10, but Kalashnakov seems ready to go out of the box.  This Kalashnakov looks like a decent entry AK and doesn't appear to need any compliance work.  I just want a fun and reliable range toy until I can move to a free state.   Does anyone have any experience with it?

My other question is legality.  From the pictures, it just says Saiga on it.  Since "Kalashnakov Concerns" sells it, is that enough to make it a "Kalishnakov style" rifle?  I would say no, but this is NJ.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/kalashnikov-concern-ak47-iz132l-detail.html?Itemid=0

Interesting thread...

I'm looking at buying a "real" as close as possible AK-47.  Semi-auto and federally compliant of course.  This will be residing in a free state so no NJ BS.

Staggered mag of course and takes standard AK mags.

Range toy and SHTF rifle.  Not a collectible.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Nothing on it says "Kalashnikov" - it's an Izhmash IZ132L Saiga.  The only difference between a stock "sporterized" saiga (Izhmash IZ132) is that the IZ132L already has enough parts changed on it for 922r compliance.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/russian-saiga-ak-variant-model-iz132l

Compliance parts include Phoenix Buttstock, CAA G43 Ergo Pistol grip and 3 piece G-2 No Slap trigger set by Tapco. 

By compliance, I meant NJ compliance (threaded barrel, bayonet lug, collapsable stock). It looks like it's ready to go out of the box.

I wish I wasn't two hours away, JT (Mahwah) :(

Didn't stop me from driving down there for something I wanted.

I'm sorry, but these new production AKs you see for sale are far different and don't compare to the real deal. JT will tell you they are the greatest rifle ever, because he has them "in stock". Do yourself a favor and do some research before you buy something.

My recommendation is an Egyptian maadi. And I don't have one for sale.

I've looking at getting my first AK.  I thought about a WASR-10, but Kalishnakov seems ready to go out of the box.  This Kalishnakov looks like a decent entry AK and doesn't appear to need any compliance work.  I just want a fun and reliable range toy until I can move to a free state.   Does anyone have any experience with it?

My other question is legality.  From the pictures, it just says Saiga on it.  Since "Kalishnakov Concerns" sells it, is that enough to make it a "Kalishnakov style" rifle?  I would say no, but this is NJ.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/kalashnikov-concern-ak47-iz132l-detail.html?Itemid=0

The RWC conversions are done fast and and somewhat cheaply (example, the trigger guard that they install is not a standard width, so not all pistol grips will fit without some Dremel modification). If you're up to it, buy the unconverted version from Atlantic Firearms and do it yourself. Even if you do the conversions in stages, you'll most likely come away with a gun that fits your needs

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/russian-saiga-ak-47-rifle-iz-132-detail.html?Itemid=0

The new WASR-10s are good as well. I bought one recently and it was put together fine. No canted sights or poorly formed rivets. Atlantic Firearms is a great company to deal with. They do a quick check of the gun for the known issues, so your chances of getting a lemon are pretty small. They are also very good with handling any issues that you may find before you complete the transfer paperwork.

Thank you for all the information.  After reading through several threads and Vlad's excellent article on conversions, I'm leaning towards getting the Saiga and converting it myself.  I like that I don't have to do everything at once and can take my time (start with trigger with pistol grip, then eventually replace the stock and handguard).  I probably won't install the bullet guide until I move to a free state.

A couple of questions.  Which pistol grip do you folks recommend?  CSS seems to like the ATI Scorpion.

Has anyone ordered from Prepper Gun Shop?  They have an unconverted Saiga for $530.

https://www.preppergunshop.com/rwc-saiga-762x39-bl-16-syn-10rd.html

http://www.hogueinc.com/tacrifles/ak47 

My preference for a grip. As far as a rifle, I'd pay a little more and get a VEPR AK in 7.62x39 with the 16" barrel. Also comes in 20" & 23". It really depends on how much you're looking to spend, but the VEPR is a heavier receiver, and a much better rifle in my humble opinion.  I'd ask GlennP. He's my NJ go-to guy for all things AK.

I picked up a Magpul MOE AK grip for my conversion... but then again, I'm a Magpul junkie so... yeah.

I was actually a dedicated US PALM grip user until I put a Magpul one of my conversions - I now think that I've jumped to the Magpul side of the fence as far as pistol grips go (I'm still not a huge fan of the Zhukov handguard though)

Thank you for all the information.  After reading through several threads and Vlad's excellent article on conversions, I'm leaning towards getting the Saiga and converting it myself.  I like that I don't have to do everything at once and can take my time (start with trigger with pistol grip, then eventually replace the stock and handguard).  I probably won't install the bullet guide until I move to a free state.

A couple of questions.  Which pistol grip do you folks recommend?  CSS seems to like the ATI Scorpion.

Has anyone ordered from Prepper Gun Shop?  They have an unconverted Saiga for $530.

https://www.preppergunshop.com/rwc-saiga-762x39-bl-16-syn-10rd.html

I know a few guys that have ordered AKs from Prepper Gun shop and they had no complaints. Similar to Atlantic, they seem to be ready and willing to work with you if you identify an issue with your gun before the transfer is complete.

I was actually a dedicated US PALM grip user until I put a Magpul one of my conversions - I now think that I've jumped to the Magpul side of the fence as far as pistol grips go (I'm still not a huge fan of the Zhukov handguard though)

I put the Zhukov on my Saiga conversion - mostly because it's easier and doesn't need the additional parts.  MOE stock is going on soon too...

just to add.. the wording of the law in regards to AK does not appear to be a NAME issue.. the intention is obviously to ban the entire type of firearm.. we all know in practice that is not followed.. but it is in fact how it is written..

Keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer, I was always under the impression that, as long as the model number that is stamped on the receiver does not contain "AK47", you should be okay. That's why the Palmetto State Armory AK might not fly here since the model number is stamped as "PSAK47"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer, I was always under the impression that, as long as the model number that is stamped on the receiver does not contain "AK47", you should be okay. That's why the Palmetto State Armory AK might not fly here since the model number is stamped as "PSAK47"

well thats simply not the case... the reality is I have no idea why you can buy an AK type gun in NJ since they are clearly banned in the same way you can not buy ANY M1 carbine variant.. 

the definition clearly states.. 

M1 carbine type

and we all KNOW if you want an M1 carbine variant in NJ.. good luck.. not gonna happen.. 

but oddly the definition also clearly states

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

which would clearly make any weapon system that they decide is that type equally illegal.. WASR.. Saiga.. etc.. 

we all know you can get an AK type gun in NJ.. but the AK is not banned by name like some guns.. the entire type of firearm is banned in its entirety... so it really makes no sense.. 

by definition if you own an AK Type gun.. then technically you are in clear violation by owning an assault weapon.. now before everyone gets all upset.. I am simply going by the literal writings.. and the precedent set by their constant disallowance of M1 carbine "type" weapons.. 

I think best deals right now are the preban rifles, mak90's for 700 -800 dollars, hungarian sa85m, even a thumbhole stock maadi. I have no idea what happened to the PSA AK47 but it wouldnt surprise me if they screwed up the headspace on a big bulk order lol! 

Factory built rifles, proven, and you can swap out the furniture and do as you please with keeping 922r in mind.

if your planning on doing your own saiga conversion your gonna want to rivet the trigger guard which is by no means a big deal, but will cost time and money. Finding a trigger guard, the russian ones, and bulgarian ones you want can run a lil more, unless you dont care what the mag catch tab looks like.. but the russian and bulgarian mag catches have a nice profile, Hungarian is just flat and meh. 

If your gonna screw on the trigger guard and drop a tapco g2 trigger set in it then just get the Kalishnakov Concerns.. Russian Factory Built gun, perfectly crushed rivets, cold hammer forge barrel thats chrome lined.. it will out live you!

Not sure why you wouldnt install the bullet guide tho.

I think best deals right now are the preban rifles, mak90's for 700 -800 dollars, hungarian sa85m, even a thumbhole stock maadi. I have no idea what happened to the PSA AK47 but it wouldnt surprise me if they screwed up the headspace on a big bulk order lol! 

Factory built rifles, proven, and you can swap out the furniture and do as you please with keeping 922r in mind.

if your planning on doing your own saiga conversion your gonna want to rivet the trigger guard which is by no means a big deal, but will cost time and money. Finding a trigger guard, the russian ones, and bulgarian ones you want can run a lil more, unless you dont care what the mag catch tab looks like.. but the russian and bulgarian mag catches have a nice profile, Hungarian is just flat and meh. 

If your gonna screw on the trigger guard and drop a tapco g2 trigger set in it then just get the Kalishnakov Concerns.. Russian Factory Built gun, perfectly crushed rivets, cold hammer forge barrel thats chrome lined.. it will out live you!

Not sure why you wouldnt install the bullet guide tho.

I did not install the bullet guide till after I left NJ because the aftermarket 15 round mags I ran worked fine, and I had no other existing AK mags.. so for me it was hard to see the value.. 

I did not install the bullet guide till after I left NJ because the aftermarket 15 round mags I ran worked fine, and I had no other existing AK mags.. so for me it was hard to see the value..

I did the same SGM mags.

well thats simply not the case... the reality is I have no idea why you can buy an AK type gun in NJ since they are clearly banned in the same way you can not buy ANY M1 carbine variant.. 

the definition clearly states.. 

and we all KNOW if you want an M1 carbine variant in NJ.. good luck.. not gonna happen.. 

but oddly the definition also clearly states

which would clearly make any weapon system that they decide is that type equally illegal.. WASR.. Saiga.. etc.. 

we all know you can get an AK type gun in NJ.. but the AK is not banned by name like some guns.. the entire type of firearm is banned in its entirety... so it really makes no sense.. 

by definition if you own an AK Type gun.. then technically you are in clear violation by owning an assault weapon.. now before everyone gets all upset.. I am simply going by the literal writings.. and the precedent set by their constant disallowance of M1 carbine "type" weapons.. 

Wasn't there some case in the 90's involving an AK where a judge more or less said that that the "substantially identical" definition was BS because an average person could not know if something was "substantially identical" to a banned weapon without "initimate knowledge" of all variants of a banned weapon? I'm trying to find a link on the web but I'm coming up blank

I probably won't install the bullet guide until I move to a free state.

Hey Vlad!

ive read that the bullet guide is a hit or miss I understand not installing it if rifle cycles fine... But Texas Shooter not installing it until moving to a free state.. im wondering what thats about? Any particular reason?

The bullet guide seems like the hardest part to get right (keep it perfectly centered, drill it straight and tap it) and I have very basic tools, so I'm still considering if I want to plunge into a conversion.  I don't want to do it and have it look like crap.  That, and with NJ's mag limit, there's not a lot of incentive to do it right now.  I might get a converted rifle, lots to consider.

The bullet guide seems like the hardest part to get right (keep it perfectly centered, drill it straight and tap it) and I have very basic tools, so I'm still considering if I want to plunge into a conversion. I don't want to do it and have it look like crap. That, and with NJ's mag limit, there's not a lot of incentive to do it right now. I might get a converted rifle, lots to consider.

The bullet guide's really not too hard to do. The best advice that was given to me was to buy a quality tap from Home Depot or Lowes (don't use the one that comes in the kit) use lots of real tap oil, and to not force the tap at all.

My hands were shaking the first time that I did it but once I did it, I realized that it isn't too hard.

I used the one that came with the kit...no issues.

I don't doubt it - I think that any tap will do as long as you go slow and don't force it. I think that the advantage of the slightly more expensive taps is that they are a little harder so they will give you a tiny bit of a safety buffer if you force it accidentally.

I did see one conversion video where a guy chucked the tap into a power drill and went to town with it