Texas Shooter

Kalishnakov AK-47

well thats simply not the case... the reality is I have no idea why you can buy an AK type gun in NJ since they are clearly banned in the same way you can not buy ANY M1 carbine variant.. 

the definition clearly states.. 

and we all KNOW if you want an M1 carbine variant in NJ.. good luck.. not gonna happen.. 

but oddly the definition also clearly states

which would clearly make any weapon system that they decide is that type equally illegal.. WASR.. Saiga.. etc.. 

we all know you can get an AK type gun in NJ.. but the AK is not banned by name like some guns.. the entire type of firearm is banned in its entirety... so it really makes no sense.. 

by definition if you own an AK Type gun.. then technically you are in clear violation by owning an assault weapon.. now before everyone gets all upset.. I am simply going by the literal writings.. and the precedent set by their constant disallowance of M1 carbine "type" weapons.. 

Remember the IO AK boondoggle? http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/19115-io-inc-rifles/page-2

Just like with the M1 carbine clones, if enough people call into the NJSP asking "mother may I", NJ will drop the hammer. Status quo is for the state to turn a blind eye to the statutes as long as people comply with the NJAC evil feature game. You can still be arrested and charged for possession of a AW based on the "substantially identical clause", but at least can use precedent and NJAC as a defense (still not guaranteed). Add to that prosecutors are supposed to follow NJAC guidelines when pressing charges. Its loose protection , but at least its there.

Since it is not rule of law, anytime people call in to the NJSP and make a stink asking about legality of xyz gun, it draws unwanted attention and scrutiny and the State will always default to the unconstitutional statutes still on the books and administratively ban that particular gun.

Nothing stops them from continuing this practice until someone challenges the state in court and hopefully wins. Both sides have a lot to loose if they lost that battle, so NJ continues to move forward in this bazaar status quo condition when it comes to the AWB and the "substantially identical" definition.

The RWC conversions are done fast and and somewhat cheaply (example, the trigger guard that they install is not a standard width, so not all pistol grips will fit without some Dremel modification). If you're up to it, buy the unconverted version from Atlantic Firearms and do it yourself. Even if you do the conversions in stages, you'll most likely come away with a gun that fits your needs

Since the converted and unconverted rifles retail for about the same price, is there any reason not to get the converted rifle and just swap out whatever you don't like?  (i.e., does a converted rifle have a sloppier fit and finish or is somehow less upgradeable or harder to upgrade because of something RWC does?)

Is there any difference in the conversion process between a 7.62 and 5.45?

Thank you!

Since the converted and unconverted rifles retail for about the same price, is there any reason not to get the converted rifle and just swap out whatever you don't like?  (i.e., is a converted rifle have a sloppier fit and finish or is somehow less upgradeable or harder to upgrade because of something RWC does?)

Thank you!

No reason not to get the converted one and save yourself some money.

Conversion process is the same for both calibers.

Just note that if you go with the more modern 5.45 AK74 round, 15 round mags are almost impossible to find except for custom or 10 rounders.

Since the converted and unconverted rifles retail for about the same price, is there any reason not to get the converted rifle and just swap out whatever you don't like?  (i.e., does a converted rifle have a sloppier fit and finish or is somehow less upgradeable or harder to upgrade because of something RWC does?)

Thank you!

The decision between getting a converted or non-converted Saiga comes down to personal preference since the base rifle is still the same in either case and can be upgraded just the same. I've done two conversions so far (a 7.62 and a 5.45) and I'm looking to get another unconverted 5.45 before they disappear. 

If you go with a 5.45, keep in mind (just as Carl_g said above) that 15 round 5.45 mags don't exist (at least I've never been able to find them). A quick internet search will get you to factory (Tapco) and blocked10 round mags; however, if you want 15 rounders, you'll have to have them custom made to block a 30 rounder to 15 or have someone make you a Tanker style mag that is either cut down to 15 or 20 round length that is blocked to 15. If you go the custom route, spend a little extra cash and have a Bulgarian or Russian magazine cut down so that you'll have one with metal locking lugs, rather than the Tapco and ProMags which have plastic lugs (you'll want these mags to last since you're having them custom made)

Going back to your original question, you really can't go wrong with either choice (converted or unconverted).

I'm sorry, but these new production AKs you see for sale are far different and don't compare to the real deal. JT will tell you they are the greatest rifle ever, because he has them "in stock". Do yourself a favor and do some research before you buy something.

My recommendation is an Egyptian maadi. And I don't have one for sale.

This post was in response to me stating I have Kalashnikov conversions in stock.

I guess Njbanshee feels that the converted russian Saigas are New production and not worthy to be sold?

how long till JT tries to sell you an NPAP, and tells you it's the best ak ever made?

This one is just pointless, and has nothing to do wit hthis thread

Two Points:

1) I stock what I believe are good, quality weapons and try my best to sell them at a reasonable price

If Njbanshee believes the Maadi is a better value, so be it - everyone has an "opinion"

2) I have never said the N-PAP was the best AK ever made! 

What I said was it is one of the best values for the money avail. in NJ

It would appear, just by the way Njbanshee has posted twice in this thread about me that for some reason

he doesn't like me. Fine, No problem - but if you're gonna say that i said something like "this is the greatest

AK ever" - please share the quote with everyone so we can discuss it, otherwise please try to keep your personal

agenda to yourself.

Thanks ya'll for all the great info.  I've learned a lot.  So much more to learn..

So, I finally pulled the trigger.  I was really torn between the 7.62 and 5.45, so I got one of each!  A converted Saiga IZ132L and an unconverted Saiga IZ240.  And I had sworn that I wouldn't get another caliber :D

Thanks ya'll for all the great info.  I've learned a lot.  So much more to learn..

So, I finally pulled the trigger.  I was really torn between the 7.62 and 5.45, so I got one of each!  A converted Saiga IZ132L and an unconverted Saiga IZ240.  And I had sworn that I wouldn't get another caliber :D

Both are awesome choices and you won't be disappointed with either. 

Nice choice Texas Shooter.  I was really close to doing exactly what you ordered, but....  that milled bulgy was too tempting and pulled the trigger on it. I should be picking her up in a few days.  The GM at K-Var hooked me up with a free mag too

let us know how your conversion goes!  post some pics if you can