Sign in to follow this  
Stonecoldchavez

AR's in NY State?

Hello-

I was wondering if anyone knows about being able to take an AR-15 up to NY State. I plan on taking a trip this weekend to visit my friend who has a home up there. He says I cannot bring mine because of the pistol grip. I have not heard of this. Is this true? Is this something new under that ridiculous Safe Act?

Thanks,

S.

*Can a PM please move this the correct forum? My bad*

I put this on mine and the LGS near my home upstate sells AR's with the spur on them so they must be legal YMMV depending. I have no muzzle device or threaded barrel and bring only 10 round mags.

http://ar15spur.com/index.html

The AR is out, but unlike NJ, you don't need a license to bring a compliant long gun and drive around with it in NY.

And your buddy probably carries. Also unlike NJ. Even if he doesn't carry, he could (even if there are restrictions on his license) because there is no criminal penalty for carrying on a restricted handgun license in NY.

I am not a lawyer nor very well versed on NY gun laws. I rarely say this, but your friend probably knows more than everybody in this thread combined, based on the bad information already provided. There is a NY gun forum, I would check with them.

The AR is out, but unlike NJ, you don't need a license to bring a compliant long gun and drive around with it in NY. And your buddy probably carries. Also unlike NJ. Even if he doesn't carry, he could (even if there are restrictions on his license) because there is no criminal penalty for carrying on a restricted handgun license in NY. I am not a lawyer nor very well versed on NY gun laws. I rarely say this, but your friend probably knows more than everybody in this thread combined, based on the bad information already provided. There is a NY gun forum, I would check with them.

I rarely say this but are you retarded? Whataya even talkin bout dude. Also, carrying was not even part of the original question, so I'm not sure why you even went off on that tangent either lol. And aren't you in PA? Guy from PA on a NJ forum talking bout NY carry...Take your own advice lmao.

There are plenty of misinformed people in NJ. What makes you think that same type of person doesn't reside in NY or PA? In god we trust. All others bring data, which they did. Mipa, do you really wonder why nobody wants to meet up with you? Do you think it might have to do with the way you infer everyone on this forum is incompetent?  

I rarely say this but are you retarded? Whataya even talkin bout dude. Also, carrying was not even part of the original question, so I'm not sure why you even went off on that tangent either lol. And aren't you in PA? Guy from PA on a NJ forum talking bout NY carry...Take your own advice lmao.

. Don't lie. Everybody always says that. Posting it is a different story. ;)

Best solution: don't go to New York. Don't pay taxes to buy things in NY, do not support them with travel, do not support them with commerce.

Since the SAFE act, NY is dead to me.

Now, if only they had Katz's Deli franchises in Florida! :)

Got back Sunday night from my friend's cabin in Upstate NY. Oompha, what a long drive. Got to shoot almost everyday out in his back yard. It was so nice. Unfortunately, only his rifles. Got to shoot a mix of bolt action and semi-auto .22's, .223, Saiga in .223, and few lever actions in .357 and .44 Magnum. The .44 mag was a nice Marlin.

It is weird how Upstate NY is totally different than in the City. Everyone we talked to (we went to a few gun stores) hates Cuomo, hates the Safe Act, and they want to secede from NYC. They are pretty much unrestricted up there except for the same AR BS laws we have and the 10-round magazine limit. We kabitzed back and forth about NJ and NY laws. They mentioned that Cuomo would have lost the election if a few "lazy people" (their words) in the surrounding counties would have "gotten off their asses" and voted, indicating that Cuomo did not win by that much. Every vote counts, no matter how inconsequential we think it is. Also, it looks like NYS loose millions of dollars in revenue if they were allowed to sell AR's. Pretty foolish of them.

At a LGS, my friend learned he can get a non-resident carry permit in NY because he owns property and pays taxes. We learned what he needs to do to apply. We learned that each county is just as corrupt as NJ (again not my words), that a judge is the one that issues the carry/purchase permits and that they can deny you but have to show cause and give a reason. That each county up there is different and it can take anywhere from 90 days to 8 months to get this carry permit, depending on the judge. We also learned that every gun you want to carry HAS to be listed on your carry permit. You get a "coupon" that is good for one year to purchase a gun. If you buy a new gun, you have a certain amount of time (depending on the county again) to get it added to your permit in order to carry it. Once it is listed on your permit, you can CCW anywhere pretty much, just not in places where more than 50% of sales is alcohol, church, schools, etc. And not to list "self-defense" as the reason you want a CCW permit. List "Target shooting and Hunting". No ammo purchase logs either. But Cuomo did want ammo purchases to go through NICS, but they said it has gone nowhere due to funding because it would be too costly for NY to do it.

Of course, you can carry in all of Upstate NY; just not in the 5 Boro's.

It is truly a shame in NY.  Of the 57 counties in the state Cuomo only won 11, yes eleven.  Popular vote was 54 to 41 percent.  Shows where the Dumbocrats are in NY and how the state suffers at the hands of the counties in and around NYC.